9700k vs 3700x for upgrade??

hello, i will be doing a major upgrade to my pc in the next month or so, and i am having trouble deciding what to go for, i have only ever had Intel, but i've seen a lot of comparisons of the 3700x vs 9700k, and i am kind of leaning towards the 3700x. The pc is primarily used for gaming, and media, currently only running 1080p, but would like it to be able to do 144hz 1440p. price is somewhat a factor. advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Current build, along with changing, keeping, and maybe keeping:

asrock 270 extreme4 -- changing

I5 6600k -- changing

h60 cooler -- possibly keeping depending on cpu chosen

corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz (16gb 2x8) -- keeping

samsung 970 500gb m.2 -- keeping

1tb 7200rpm storage hdd -- keeping

evga 500w bronze -- likely changing

rog strix gtx 1070 8g oc -- keeping (possibly grabbing a second for sli)

thanks in advance for input.

9700k would be more expensive overal (considering the added cost of a mobo of similar features compared to an AM4 one) but will give you some extra FPS in games but also losing or tying in some others.. most games will have a few FPS bump though with the intel chip. 

ryzen 3800x (which I would prefer) or 3700x will give you a better overall experience since you will have double the threads (especially if you plan to stream your games). 

+Personally I dont like intel snob policy like even after the hits they took from AMD they insist to cut corners and bump prices while sitting on their high horse... like 9700k is only a 8 core 8thread CPU and just because it has higher clocks they price it a little above AMD CPUs with 16 threads..... I wouldnt encourage their strategy by buying their products. 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

9700k would be more expensive overal (considering the added cost of a mobo of similar features compared to an AM4 one) but will give you some extra FPS in games but also losing or tying in some others.. most games will have a few FPS bump though with the intel chip. 

ryzen 3800x (which I would prefer) or 3700x will give you a better overall experience since you will have double the threads (especially if you plan to stream your games). 

+Personally I dont like intel snob policy like even after the hits they took from AMD they insist to cut corners and bump prices while sitting on their high horse... like 9700k is only a 8 core 8thread CPU and just because it has higher clocks they price it a little above AMD CPUs with 16 threads..... I wouldnt encourage their strategy by buying their products. 

I'm honestly in the same boat.  I ended up swayed to team AMD when I first started getting into PC building back in 2017 mainly because of the way Intel does business.  Not saying that AMD is saintly or anything, but that business practice should matter these days, especially now that we have a legit competition in the CPU space. 

5 hours ago, papajo said:

i definitely understand the reaction, but i will buy either based on which is better for the money. i have been using intel mainly because its been way better than amd for a long time, but that is clearly no longer the case. the 3800x isn't alot more than the 3700x, you think it would be worth it for the extra speed and (hopefully) lifespan?

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

i definitely understand the reaction, but i will buy either based on which is better for the money. i have been using intel mainly because its been way better than amd for a long time, but that is clearly no longer the case. the 3800x isn't alot more than the 3700x, you think it would be worth it for the extra speed and (hopefully) lifespan?

the difference is minimal but you will get a bump in games especially if you dont plan to overclock.

Just now, papajo said:

the difference is minimal but you will get a bump in games especially if you dont plan to overclock.

i do want to overclock, but im new to amd, and don't fully know what they can do. are they not good at overclocking?

and one more thing that is important to know in this decision, i generally get about 3-4 years of good use out of a cpu between upgrades, can i expect similar amounts of time for amd chips?

9700k will be a little better at 1080p at most games out right now. At 1440p you wont see any real difference. The 3700x is more future proof though because of the 8 extra threads.  If/when games make use of those threads, 9700k performance will suffer. Plus you can most likely upgrade to the next gen ryzen using the same motherboard. 

The 3700x also draws less power and is easier to cool, is cheaper, comes with a relatively adequate stock cooler, and is far better if you do heavy multitasking or like to stream while you game. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

6 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

hello, i will be doing a major upgrade to my pc in the next month or so, and i am having trouble deciding what to go for, i have only ever had Intel, but i've seen a lot of comparisons of the 3700x vs 9700k, and i am kind of leaning towards the 3700x. The pc is primarily used for gaming, and media, currently only running 1080p, but would like it to be able to do 144hz 1440p. price is somewhat a factor. advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Current build, along with changing, keeping, and maybe keeping:

asrock 270 extreme4 -- changing

I5 6600k -- changing

h60 cooler -- possibly keeping depending on cpu chosen

corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz (16gb 2x8) -- keeping

samsung 970 500gb m.2 -- keeping

1tb 7200rpm storage hdd -- keeping

evga 500w bronze -- likely changing

rog strix gtx 1070 8g oc -- keeping (possibly grabbing a second for sli)

thanks in advance for input.

Deep Breath, try this in one.

AMD = more threads and more power efficient.

AMD = Cheaper - price to performance.

AMD = sketchy memory controller and memory support (Cheap boards can be blamed too) Much lower average memory frequency.

AMD = Self boosted to top clocks. OC head room 50mhz give or take over max turbo (Cooling does play factor on boosting all core) 

AMD = Seemingly complicated for overclocking. Many tweaks, low yields when manually approached. 

AMD = Boosted pulling much much more than you'd expect wattage/current

Intel = Still 14nm. Squeezed to death and still trying to squeeze more! Still pricier.

Intel = Performance to Dollar not horrible when configured with high speed memory

Intel = Likes High Speed Memory (4000mhz is no issue)

Intel = Lacks the extra threads unless you buy top tier chips. 9700K only 8 threads. (3700X just became very appealing) 

Intel = Overclocking still there. But Cpus like 9900KS at 5ghz stock starts leaving very little headroom 100-200mhz (Temps matter) Soldered IHS.

Intel = Still pulling big wattage and Current. More and more so as they additional core/thread count.

Give or take in a nut shell (imo)

appreciate all the input, i was leaning towards amd already, im pretty much sold after all the research plus the input i've received.