LF Debian OS that can run programs with admin rights at startup

Xubuntu can't do it. I'm distraught.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can run  a cron job as root to run a program at bootup, or run it with a systemd task. Any distro can do this.

Any Guide on this?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Just now, LOST TALE said:

Any Guide on this?

cron is probably the easiest way to do this, google a guide for cron, and add it to the root crontab. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

cron is probably the easiest way to do this, google a guide for cron, and add it to the root crontab. 

Is there an arcane reason why startup settings does not have a checkbox to set up apps with admin rights?

Just now, LOST TALE said:

Is there an arcane reason why startup settings does not have a checkbox to set up apps with admin rights?

What gui is this in? I don't normally do this in a gui, but you can probalby make a script to run in startup settings that would run it as root.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What gui is this in? I don't normally do this in a gui, but you can probalby make a script to run in startup settings that would run it as root.

The GUI is the default with xubuntu. I don't know how to do any of this. I'm about as lost after searching it.

12 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

The GUI is the default with xubuntu. I don't know how to do any of this. I'm about as lost after searching it.

what task do you want to run as root?

What is the command to run the task?

On 4/4/2020 at 11:30 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

what task do you want to run as root?

What is the command to run the task?

It's a vpn app.

> What is the command to run the task?

How am I supposed to know? starting a task as admin at logon should be basic functionality. Even windows has it (even though it only works for admin users and windows scheduler is a fail)

On 4/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, LOST TALE said:

Because you should not be running stuff as root (or Administrator if Windows).

The app in question should either have a service file, init script, etc.  If it needs to elevate permissions, it should be done sudo, gksudo etc and after it does what it needs to, it should drop the permissions again.

Reading above you said it was a VPN app.  What type of VPN?  NetworkManager supports pretty much all protocols out of the box on most distros.  The ones it doesn't, just need the appropriate plugin installed.