Ryzen 9 3900x Cooling ??

Hi Everyone, 

Need some advice ... I am looking at getting a Ryzen 9 3900x cpu for my new build .. but the question is water cool ? or air cool ? I have seen ton's of videos that the out come is 50/50 .. so wonding is it worth spending another 1000 bucks to get all the upgrade water cooling sutff .. the reason i say its a 1000 bucks is , i have not had any luck with the all in one water cooling kits, so was going to do a custom water loop .. 

Please let me know what you think and thanks for the advice .. 

Nah. I used mine with a Noctua U12A before I swapped to a 3950X and it handled both CPUs w/ PBO on with ease.

No need to go water if you don't want to.

Thanks Den-FI 

for the information .. I am 50/50 , because I just want something that looks very cool , but also preforms for all my office needs and gaming .. 

So just not sure what to do .. 

go air and use the money for saving for the next upgrade what has more impact, a 5c cooler cpu or a newer gpu like 3080ti

1 minute ago, maxdei said:

go air and use the money for saving for the next upgrade what has more impact, a 5c cooler cpu or a newer gpu like 3080ti

when it is released and then

buy like a nocture becuase they are often quieter then the pump and the raad fans

Thanks Maxdei, 

was planing on getting RX 5700 XT for my video card .. so just trying to figure out these missing idea's / parts .. 

32 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Thanks Maxdei, 

was planing on getting RX 5700 XT for my video card .. so just trying to figure out these missing idea's / parts .. 

or spend more money on gpu now like best rtx and call it a day for the next years buy yourslf a nice mechanical keyboard good mouse and a better/addional monitor(s)

the comfort you get from 2 is awsome espacaly if you working on your pc

sorry for typos 

Thanks Maxdei, 

Not really worry about monitors as i currently have 4 of them .. I tend to go over boded when i build things , because i want things to last a good 5 years before i have to spend a bunch of money on upgrades .. 

No worries about the typo's 

8 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Thanks Den-FI 

for the information .. I am 50/50 , because I just want something that looks very cool , but also preforms for all my office needs and gaming .. 

So just not sure what to do .. 

107406_1000.jpg

85164_1000.jpg

Choosing is overrated.

I did one 3950X build on air, and one on water lol.

2 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Thanks Maxdei, 

Not really worry about monitors as i currently have 4 of them .. I tend to go over boded when i build things , because i want things to last a good 5 years before i have to spend a bunch of money on upgrades .. 

No worries about the typo's 

Consider maintenance and down time with a custom loop though vs. 5 relatively uninterrupted years on air.

11 minutes ago, maxdei said:

sorry for typos 

There's an Edit button for fixing / adding to posts.

@StarTrek133 What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler? What case and ram are you using and where are you shopping / located?

Make  sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There's an Edit button for fixing / adding to posts.

@StarTrek133 What kind of features are you looking for in a cooler? What case and ram are you using and where are you shopping / located?

Make  sure to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling.

i know but i am to tired to do so

in handwritten english my language is fairly well but typing

Thanks @WoodenMarker

I am just looking for what will work best for the 3900x  .. As for case that i am still not sure either .. currently my corsair 900D case is a little over kill and HUGH .. So was thinking of replacing it , but with what i dont know because wasn't sure if i should air cool or water cool ..  

6 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Thanks @WoodenMarker

I am just looking for what will work best for the 3900x  .. As for case that i am still not sure either .. currently my corsair 900D case is a little over kill and HUGH .. So was thinking of replacing it , but with what i dont know because wasn't sure if i should air cool or water cool ..  

keep it or look if you can sell it to someone for a nice prices and buy a new case drom that you could go open air which would look amazing

True @maxdei

i keep seeing more and more open air case , but i am very old school .. started with DOS that tells you how far i go back , so just not sure about open air .. 

15 minutes ago, maxdei said:

i know but i am to tired to do so

in handwritten english my language is fairly well but typing

Please use the Edit button instead of making multiple posts. That makes the page shorter and easier for everyone to read. 

Posts merged. 

12 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Are you just looking for a good solution or do you want to go overkill for the sake of overkill or getting that last bit of performance?

Are you looking to downsize?

For practical purposes, I'd recommend just getting what you need now and putting the extra money towards the next upgrade sooner. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

True @maxdei

i keep seeing more and more open air case , but i am very old school .. started with DOS that tells you how far i go back , so just not sure about open air .. 

the thing is if you have enough time you can make an amazing sall form factor open air case yourself which could blend in awsome and if not well you just spend 30 bucks

Thanks @WoodenMarker

Whenever I build a new computer , i always go a little over kick because i can only afford to upgrade stuff every couple of years .. So I want parts that will last a while so I dont have to worry about upgrading and trying to find the money .. 

As for performance , i have never over clocked anything before , so i just normally leave everything as the defaults .. 

I am currently downsizing , my "main" computer used to also be my media computer / work / gaming / steaming / and so on .. I have since built a media computer so I no longer need the 11tb raid array i have in my "main" computer .. so looking to build something that will be good for work / streaming / games .. 

So that is why i wasnt sure if water cooling or air cooling would be better .. that is why i asked for advice .. 

34 minutes ago, StarTrek133 said:

Whenever I build a new computer , i always go a little over kick because i can only afford to upgrade stuff every couple of years .. So I want parts that will last a while so I dont have to worry about upgrading and trying to find the money .. 

As for performance , i have never over clocked anything before , so i just normally leave everything as the defaults .. 

I am currently downsizing , my "main" computer used to also be my media computer / work / gaming / steaming / and so on .. I have since built a media computer so I no longer need the 11tb raid array i have in my "main" computer .. so looking to build something that will be good for work / streaming / games .. 

So that is why i wasnt sure if water cooling or air cooling would be better .. that is why i asked for advice .. 

If you don't have money to blow, don't spend so much on a cooler. The practical difference is pretty small and the cost you were mentioning definitely us enough to get to the next upgrade sooner. 

Where are you shopping / located?