I don't know if I'm in the right mindset for upgrading

This should really be in off topic but I can't recall how to put it there. There isn't really any point to this post so I don't expect comments.

As of recent I've stepped back and looked at my system and wanted more from it. I talked to lots of people, and the same thing kept happening. They would ask me what I wanted to do that my current rig couldn't that would warrant an upgrade. I always responded VR games, and they would ask me why I want to upgrade my case and motherboard if the only thing it can't do is VR games. To be honest I don't know why. I'm not exactly rolling in money at the moment, yet for some reason I'm looking at my computer next to me and wishing that it was something more. Wishing it had more RGB, better VRM cooling, more fans, more dimm slots, or better air circulation. I don't need that stuff, yet I want it so bad. I ended up completely changing my build list, but I don't think it's because I can't play VR games. I think I'm finally starting to have that feeling that everyone has when they really start to get into something. Like people perpetually wanting cooler, newer, and better cars and the like. So even though I'm poor as dirt, I'm gonna fight tooth and nail to upgrade all my parts simply because I really want to. The funny thing is? I don't even know if my computer is the problem with VR games. Other people with my same hardware have reported regular VR performance, so why is my similar rig unable to do it? The world may never know, because the problem might be fixed by the time I get a clue of why. Unless it's my USBC cord, which it very may well be, but I don't really have a way to test it.

Sorry for rambling, it's 4am here and I'm hopelessly rewriting old parts lists while waiting for my last WUs to finish folding so I can go to bed. Thanks for anyone who made it this far. Night everyone.

If you don't need to upgrade your parts then try not to and identify the problem but what is your specs?

If you want better airflow and RGB just by some RGB fans and install them RGB and Airflow problem fixed.

1 minute ago, sillydolphin1 said:

If you don't need to upgrade your parts then try not to and identify the problem but what is your specs?

The PC that currently can't run VR games without giving me motion sickness is laid out in this parts list

what is the VR headset that could be the problem

but a 570 4gb is probably the probleme.

In my opinion you should go to a professional vr arcade and test if VR in general is the problem. there are people that can have the best VR headset in the world, the best possible rig but still get motionsickness

1 minute ago, Jack0f5pades said:

The PC that currently can't run VR games without giving me motion sickness is laid out in this parts list

The CPU is fantastic and probably overkill for that GPU and usually a 1060-6gb is a nice minimum for VR I am unsure about AMD but from average benchmarks the 1060 is better then your rx 570 so getting a 1060 or better would be nice for VR and could fix your problems. My future build I am hoping would have a 2060 or 2060 super as VR is progressing.

1 minute ago, maxdei said:

what is the VR headset that could be the problem

but a 570 4gb is probably the probleme.

In my opinion you should go to a professional vr arcade and test if VR in general is the problem. there are people that can have the best VR headset in the world, the best possible rig but still get motionsickness

I use an oculus quest connected to my PC by oculus link using a USB-C cord. I assume the 570 is the problem because SteamVR performance test says it is. I don't get motion sickness from playing VR on the regular quest, but I do whenever I try to connect it to my PC.

2 minutes ago, sillydolphin1 said:

The CPU is fantastic and probably overkill for that GPU and usually a 1060-6gb is a nice minimum for VR I am unsure about AMD but from average benchmarks the 1060 is better then your rx 570 so getting a 1060 or better would be nice for VR and could fix your problems. My future build I am hoping would have a 2060 or 2060 super as VR is progressing.

I have another parts list, this time it's everything that I want to have in my system by the end of the year. I just upgraded my CPU last month, that was the first on the list of things. Among them is a 2070 super for video editing and gaming at higher resolutions, as well as hopefully better VR performance.

2 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

I use an oculus quest connected to my PC by oculus link using a USB-C cord. I assume the 570 is the problem because SteamVR performance test says it is. I don't get motion sickness from playing VR on the regular quest, but I do whenever I try to connect it to my PC.

There is a problem with the oculus quest and linking it to the pc to play the pc games it does have a weird delay so playing on a normal pc vr headset is better.

2 minutes ago, sillydolphin1 said:

There is a problem with the oculus quest and linking it to the pc to play the pc games it does have a weird delay so playing on a normal pc vr headset is better.

Yeah, one person outright said I should just invest in a new GPU and another headset like the Rift-S or even the valve index instead of bending over backwards to try and make my frankenquest work on PC, and I'm starting to consider it

Just now, Jack0f5pades said:

Yeah, one person outright said I should just invest in a new GPU and another headset like the Rift-S or even the valve index instead of bending over backwards to try and make my frankenquest work on PC, and I'm starting to consider it

Yeah. Here is my thoughts on the new list, motherboard you have is fine shouldn't need to change, case can change if you want but a 850w power supply is too much probably would be fine with 650w gold certified and once you do get to high watts it's better to get gold+ instead of bronze. I have recently been looking into rift s vs valve index and have seen more positive stuff with the valve index but if you don't want to spend too much just get the rift s or save up money. I would get valve index unless they make a better headset.

8 hours ago, Quibiss said:

It grinds my gears a little when someone says that they are poor, or as op puts it even more dramatically, poor as dirt, and then that person talks about wanting / already owning something as non essential like a gaming PC... And to the topic, it's completely normal to want more, especially if you are enthusiastic about it.

Yeah, because screw poor people that have the audacity to want hobbies or entertainment in their lives. Amirite? 🙄

You sound like someone that whines about people using food stamps on anything but raw meat, grains and produce.

Poor people are just as entitled to fun things as you are. If you strip their lives of everything but necessity, you leave them with nothing but despair over their situation with nothing to take their mind off it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20