Will PCIe USB-C cards fast charge a phone?

ipaq3115

Hey guys, just built my first PC! I want to add a USB-C port but I can't seem to find much info on charge speeds of PCIe USB-C cards. Does anyone have any experience with them or have a known card that will fast charge a phone?

I'm looking at something like this but there's no mention of a power rating https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VRWZPK/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I use my computer for app development so I want to have my S9+ plugged in for data as well as charge quickly. Plugging into a regular USB3 ports will charge it but it's slowww.

It's possible, but I doubt it will. Even stuff that's supposed to support fast charging usually doesn't work. It's very finicky. Fast charging technology isn't standardized.

Just plug it into the wall and use wireless debugging.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Phones usually use Qualcomm QuickCharge, which a computer port won't provide. It could do PD, but that's not going to help for a phone.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Phones usually use Qualcomm QuickCharge, which a computer port won't provide. It could do PD, but that's not going to help for a phone.

Never seen an addon-card that did support even just PD. I suppose they might exist, but if they do, they're fucking rare.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 4/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, JoostinOnline said:

It's possible, but I doubt it will. Even stuff that's supposed to support fast charging usually doesn't work. It's very finicky. Fast charging technology isn't standardized.

Just plug it into the wall and use wireless debugging.

Bummer, yeah, I was kinda afraid the two standards weren't going to mix. I didn't think it would be so hard to find a PD capable USB-c card though. Then I could at least plug a phone in and see how fast it charged.

I actually have been using wireless debugging too. It's just a little slow and more of a hassle to set up. The phone is also my internet connection so it has to sit in the window. I use Vysor to control it and that works a lot better over USB.

On 4/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Kilrah said:

Nice! A card that actually lists the capability. Now if only I could find a place to buy that one!