Upgrade from 1060

Just now, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

ah, UK. sorry, i missed that. I don't know what your prices are, but i would not pay more than 10-15% more for a high end card over the cheapest ones, since outside of thermals/noise, they largely will perform the same minus completely failed designs.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

The Red Dragon is FAR superior - the MECH from MSI is utter garbage and overheats the memory. The cooler on the XFX model is too small and overheats as well.

The XFX is fine with a very aggressive fan profile. Hotspot and memory temps are definitely manageable. But its LOUD!

Like I said I would have got the Pulse for the extra $30 if i could go back in time.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, 5x5 said:

The Red Dragon is FAR superior - the MECH from MSI is utter garbage and overheats the memory. The cooler on the XFX model is too small and overheats as well.

Would my 500W PSU be sufficient?

Just now, Mister Woof said:

XFX is fine with a very aggressive fan profile. Hotspot and memory temps are definitely manageable. But its LOUD!

Exactly -  the Red Dragon is rather quiet and MUCH easier on the ears

Would my 500W PSU be sufficient?

Depends on the model - a quality 400W unit can handle it. A garbage 1000W unit cannot

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Exactly -  the Red Dragon is rather quiet and MUCH easier on the ears

I agree, but it can be really tough to justify for pricing. 

$369 RAW II vs $409 Red Dragon vs. $439 Red Devil vs. $462 for the Nitro+.

$30 bump for the $399 Pulse is worth it at only 8% price increase, and $11% for the Red Dragon. 25% bump for something like a Nitro+ is a bit confusing.

Personally for me, any of the GPUs in the mid-$400 range I would rather just get a 2070 Super.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Depends on the model - a quality 400W unit can handle it. A garbage 1000W unit cannot

Its a Corsair 500w, 80+ bronze im pretty sure, cant remember the model

I agree, but it can be really tough to justify for pricing. 

$369 RAW II vs $409 Red Dragon vs. $439 Red Devil vs. $462 for the Nitro+

Personally for me, any of the GPUs in the mid-$400 range I would rather just get a 2070 Super.

The red dragon is the same same price on amazon as the msi and xfx onw

Its a Corsair 500w, 80+ bronze im pretty sure, cant remember the model

if it's a green or orange CX/VS model - repalce it. If it's a grey model - it's fine. If you're worried, a newer CX550 Grey (2017) is what I'd get. It's affordable

1 minute ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

The red dragon is the same same price on amazon as the msi and xfx onw

Red Dragon it is then. I enjoy my 5700 XT for sure, great performance.

Red Dragon it is then. I enjoy my 5700 XT for sure, great performance.

What do i compare it to against nvidia cards, is it similar to a 2070

What do i compare it to against nvidia cards, is it similar to a 2070

2070 Super/2080 are about 2% ahead of the 5700XT. The 2070 is a good 10% behind it

2070 Super also has NVENC and RTX, so you're also getting some good features if those matter to you.

For $40 more compared to the high-end 5700 XT models, I think it's worth it for a "maybe use". For $100 more than the low-end 5700 XTs, not at all unless you know for sure you need those features.

2070 Super also has NVENC and RTX, so you're also getting some good features if those matter to you.

For $50 more compared to the high-end 5700 XT models, I think it's worth it.

RTX is still in infant stages - not exactly going to last on the 2000 series. RTX 3000 models will likely have 2-3x better Ray Tracing Performance - that's where it's at. As for NVENC - that's a good feature for streamers. Won't matter for anyone else tho.

Just now, 5x5 said:

RTX is still in infant stages - not exactly going to last on the 2000 series. RTX 3000 models will likely have 2-3x better Ray Tracing Performance - that's where it's at. As for NVENC - that's a good feature for streamers. Won't matter for anyone else tho.

edited my response for clarity and accuracy - ($465 Nitro+ vs $499 basic 2070 Super ~$40ish)

Just now, 5x5 said:

For $40 more compared to the high-end 5700 XT models, I think it's worth it for a "maybe use". For $100 more than the low-end 5700 XTs, not at all unless you know for sure you need those features.

I use my pc for some occasional streaming etc so nvenc is a +, and i use shadowplay a lot to record past gameplay

Should i look into 2070s if i wanna keep those features and get the same performance as a 5700xt?

I use my pc for some occasional streaming etc so nvenc is a +, and i use shadowplay a lot to record past gameplay

Should i look into 2070s if i wanna keep those features and get the same performance as a 5700xt?

Not really - you're looking at 100-150 GBP more for a decent 2070S. The 5700XT can also stream and record gameplay perfectly fine with the ReLive software or OBS (arguably the best software suite for streaming and recording. I personally prefer OBS over Shadowplay since I get less corruption)

1 minute ago, LokiiNeedsHelp said:

NVENC is only a reason to pay more if streaming is your job. Not a hobby.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Not really - you're looking at 100-150 GBP more for a decent 2070S. The 5700XT can also stream and record gameplay perfectly fine with the ReLive software or OBS (arguably the best software suite for streaming and recording. I personally prefer OBS over Shadowplay since I get less corruption)

i use obs, shadowplay is just to get clips sincei get get my last 2 mins or so of gameplay

Just now, 5x5 said:

NVENC is only a reason to pay more if streaming is your job. Not a hobby.

So if i were to get a 5700xt i would have to use x264, or would i still be able to use nvenc at all

i use obs, shadowplay is just to get clips sincei get get my last 2 mins or so of gameplay

It's been a year or two since I last used the ReLive Drivers for AMD but I recall a similar feature being there. OBS also has such a setting IIRC. In any case, paying 100 GBP more for shadowpaly ain't worth it since you're just paying money for something plenty of software packages have.

So if i were to get a 5700xt i would have to use x264, or would i still be able to use nvenc at all

You'll be using x264, x265, whatever your heart desires. NVENC is not magic. It's efficient and good but it's not world-shattering. IF it were, the 2000 series would be selling like hot cakes :)

Just now, 5x5 said:

You'll be using x264, x265, whatever your heart desires. NVENC is not magic. It's efficient and good but it's not world-shattering. IF it were, the 2000 series would be selling like hot cakes :)

I should be doing fine then with a  ryzen 5 3600 and an rx5700xt

Thank you for your help, i think ill settle on the red dragon card

If you are just recording gameplay, ReLive is perfectly fine. I use it to record my raid videos to see where exactly i fucked up 🤣