Ender 3 Pro

DatOneLefty

I'm planning on buying an Ender 3 Pro sometime soon and I am wondering how safe it is. I know that a firmware update is highly recommended for thermal runaway, but other than that, is the printer safe? Apart from the printer itself, should I try to filter out the air from the melting plastic?

16 minutes ago, DatOneLefty said:

I'm planning on buying an Ender 3 Pro sometime soon and I am wondering how safe it is. I know that a firmware update is highly recommended for thermal runaway, but other than that, is the printer safe? Apart from the printer itself, should I try to filter out the air from the melting plastic?

I've been running mine in my garage to keep the fumes out, but since PLA is literally based off of a corn product, I think you'll be fine there. I do recommend a firmware upgrade or a "silent board" replacement for the stock board, then a firmware upgrade. 

This is currently the recommended board upgrade. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYW21J3/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_7QkHEbXV0NDA2

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

21 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

I've been running mine in my garage to keep the fumes out, but since PLA is literally based off of a corn product, I think you'll be fine there. I do recommend a firmware upgrade or a "silent board" replacement for the stock board, then a firmware upgrade. 

This is currently the recommended board upgrade. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYW21J3/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_7QkHEbXV0NDA2

I'll start out with stock (Amazon shipping times are so long rn), but I will upgrade the firmware, and possibly the board, down the road. thanks!

4 hours ago, DatOneLefty said:

With the better meanwell PSU it's better, as you said you will want to double check thermal run away. For fumes as long as you aren't running higher temp filaments like ABS it's not so bad, I run and Ender 3 Pro it in my office but just crack open the window for some extra airflow in case. For PLA I personally can't smell anything from it, but that will heavily depend on the filament. 

Danger really is if you exceed 250C as the teflon will degrade and create nasty toxins.

2 hours ago, W-L said:

With the better meanwell PSU it's better, as you said you will want to double check thermal run away. For fumes as long as you aren't running higher temp filaments like ABS it's not so bad, I run and Ender 3 Pro it in my office but just crack open the window for some extra airflow in case. For PLA I personally can't smell anything from it, but that will heavily depend on the filament. 

Danger really is if you exceed 250C as the teflon will degrade and create nasty toxins.

So the stock PSU is fine? I plan on using PLA and some PETG, I don't plan on printing on anything else for the time being.

39 minutes ago, DatOneLefty said:

So the stock PSU is fine? I plan on using PLA and some PETG, I don't plan on printing on anything else for the time being.

Yes the Ender 3 Pro has the upgraded Meanwell PSU unit which is a reputable power supply, the regular Ender 3 has a generic brand PSU. 

Shouldn't have too many issues with either of those, biggest complaint the people have of the ender 3 is the bed not being perfectly flat, and it being a little noisy with the stock board and it's stepper drivers. The aluminum heated bed can be straighten out if you are comfortable doing so with some slight bending.