hp compaq 8200 elite cpu upgrade

in my pc i have a hp compaq 8200 elite motherboard with i5 2400. i would like to upgrade my cpu but im not sure witch is the best one for that modle, but i did some research and u found a i7 3770k. is that the best one i can get for the chipset?

so i should just get the 3770 not the 3770k?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, Plaze232 said:

so i should just get the 3770 not the 3770k?

Unless you are planning to swap the processor to another system motherboard which has support for overclocking in the future, then it would most likely be more cost-effective to get the Intel Core i7 3770 instead of the Intel Core i7 3770K.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, I thought the best we could do on the 8200 was an i7 2600, so I could've got a better one and HP rep lied to me ? Lol 

• 10 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, NZgamer said:

That machine supports a 3770k but you won't be able to overclock it

I believe this is false. I am looking into a way to get it to work myself(who knows, maybe bios modding? would not recommend to anyone who is not 100% confident with computers) but as it stands, a 3770k is a gen 3 processer(not to be confused with a core I3, completely different things), and the hp compaq 8200 elite motherboard has a Chipset Type Q67 Express, which according to intel's own page, is not compatible with gen 3 chips. I have also tried putting one into an sff version of the 8200 elite, and had no success(have no way to prove it actually works at the moment though, keep in mind). I will update this thread if I find out a way to get a 3770k to work on one, but otherwise, please don't buy one to try to put it into this computer, it likely will not work.