Frame skipping/stuttering... I've tried almost everything

Can anyone please help me. I have spent a large amount of money and time on this PC and I am still getting frame skips on every game I play, regardless of settings. 

My specs 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x at stock speeds 

MBD: Asus Prime X570P - latest BIOS 

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC (Triple fan version) at stock speeds - latest NVIDIA Drivers 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 C18 AMD Optimized Memory - running at 3600MHz through DOCP

M.2: Sabrent M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD (SB-ROCKET-512)

CASE: Corsair Carbide 275R

Games tested:

• CSGO
  • Rocket League
  • Rainbow Six Siege 
  • Civilisation 5 (although this game is a mess usually anyway ;) - thought I would throw in a CPU intensive one)  

My problem is this:

I get a stutter in games, regardless of what framerate I am at and regardless of what settings I am using. These stutters can also be seen in RivaTuner Statistics Server as downward lines on the framerate/frametime graphs. They can occur randomly but particularly occur when I bring up a type of menu (e.g. scoreboard, quick chats, settigns menu, etc), or when something happens in game (e.g. goal scored in rocket league, bomb goes off in CSGO). The ones that occur randomly, mid game, when seemingly nothing new is happening are the most annoying. I would say the menu/something happening in game ones happen every third time one of these actions take place, and the random ones take place anywhere from every minute to every 30 secs. 

Things that I have checked:

• Temps are fine (CPU, GPU and VRAM never go above 60C even at full, sustained load) - checked HWiNFO, ASUS BIOS, MSI Afterburner. 
  • GPU, CPU, RAM and SSD are all securely in place in the MBD. 
  • CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD usage are all normal when gaming (i.e. not maxed out). 
  • Nothing obvious is happening in Hardware Monitor/Task manager when the stutters occur. 

Things that I have tried (to no avail):

• Different monitors (Old Samsung 1080p at 60Hz; BenQ PD2700Q professional colour grading monitor 1440p at 60Hz; LG 24GL600F gaming monitor 1080p at 144Hz G-SYNC compatible). 
  • Disabled unnecessary settings on monitor (e.g. black adjust, power saving, auto brightness, etc)
  • HDMI vs Display Port  
  • V-SYNC On/Off on all monitors (in game and using NVIDIA control panel), NVIDIA Fast Sync On/Off on all monitors, G-SYNC On/Off on LG Monitor. 
  • Setting FPS limiter at various levels with RIvaTuner, as well as in-application on CSGO and Rocket League.
  • Disabling/uninstalling unnecessary applications and processes (e.g. ASUS BIOS bloatware, Synology apps, Adobe Apps, Xbox Game Bar (including gamebarpresence.exe, RGB controllers, etc), Google Chrome)
  • MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner (On/Off)
  • DOCP RAM overclock (On/Off) (3600vs2666MHz, timings auto change as well). 
  • Tried multiple versions of both ASUS BIOS and NVIDIA Drivers (both game ready and studio). 
  • Loaded games onto an external SSD to see if M.2 was the issue. 
  • Multiple versions of Windows tested. 
  • High Performance Power plan in control panel. 

This PC should be more than capable of playing these games without stutters, my 8 year old PC can do this! Due to the current global situation I have spent a large proportion of my time trying to fix this and I am becoming increasingly frustrated and upset (as it feels like I've wasted a lot of money). Due to all the software things I have tried I am starting to think it must be hardware related. Unfortunately I sold all my other PC parts in order to pay for this new PC so I cannot swap them out to isolate the issue. I can't just send the PC back for repair as I shopped around for components (from multiple manufacturers and retailers) and without being able to isolate the specific component It is unlikely that I can claim on any of their warranties. I would be hugely grateful to anyone who could help me work out which piece of hardware it is (or suggest a software fix which I haven't tried already), as I have no qualms about sending it off for warranty repair/replacement (even if it takes a long time - it will provide me with great comfort just to know what the issue is). 

Thank you very much. 

So no gsynch/freesynch?  The move to avoid stutter and tear before freesynch/gsynch was to arrange to have a gpu that was so powerful the low frame rate never dropped below X (which would be 30,60,120,144) then set the frame rate cap AT that number, then have the monitors hz AT that number or a multiple of that number. It usually worked.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So no gsynch/freesynch?  The move to avoid stutter and tear before freesynch/gsynch was to arrange to have a gpu that was so powerful the low frame rate never dropped below X (which would be 30,60,120,144) then set the frame rate cap AT that number, then have the monitors hz AT that number or a multiple of that number. It usually worked.  

I've tried gsync. It happens regardless of what frame rate call I have put on. 

2 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Did you disable windows system sounds yet? (not a joke btw)

Are you talking about notification sounds or all sounds in general? How deep into menus do I have to go to do this?

1 hour ago, borotech said:

I've tried gsync. It happens regardless of what frame rate call I have put on. 

So it’s NOT helped by synch (unless there was some screw up in applying it). This would imply it’s not actually a frame problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s NOT helped by synch (unless there was some screw up in applying it). This would imply it’s not actually a frame problem.

But how would rivatuner be displaying peaks in frame time (literally lasts milliseconds) and troughs in frame rate (also lasts a milliseconds). Do you think it is hardware or software related? 

I meant system sounds only. There seems to be an issue ever since windows 8 that causes terrible stutter from time to time and even BSODs on occasion. Go into conrol panel, selct sound, There you should have some tabs like playback, recording sound and communications, select "sound" and open the dropdown list. Then select "No Sounds". That's it. It might not solve your exact issue but it should mitigate some of those latency issues you are having.

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I meant system sounds only. There seems to be an issue ever since windows 8 that causes terrible stutter from time to time and even BSODs on occasion. Go into conrol panel, selct sound, There you should have some tabs like playback, recording sound and communications, select "sound" and open the dropdown list. Then select "No Sounds". That's it. It might not solve your exact issue but it should mitigate some of those latency issues you are having.

Hi I just tried this, restarted and it made no difference. Do you have any more ideas?

2 hours ago, borotech said:

But how would rivatuner be displaying peaks in frame time (literally lasts milliseconds) and troughs in frame rate (also lasts a milliseconds). Do you think it is hardware or software related? 

Since hardware and software comprise the entirety of the device I am constrained to say yes.  By frame problem I mean it’s not a not-enough-frames issue but an actual system issue of some kind.  

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Since hardware and software comprise the entirety of the device I am constrained to say yes.  By frame problem I mean it’s not a not-enough-frames issue but an actual system issue of some kind.  

Yes I believe so to (that it is a system issue), what I meant was do you believe that it is most likely to be an issue with a piece of hardware (e.g. graphics card, cpu, ram, etc.), or something in software?

With the ongoing situation in terms of getting things repaired/replaced, what do you think my best option would be. Are there any places that may be able to help remotely (I have no issue in paying to get the issue fixed)?

Thanks very much for your help. 

At this point try reinstalling windows but with a quick format for a clean install, don't forget to backup the important stuff. Also make a boot disk or thumb drive containing the most recent iteration of windows 10, so you can avoid updating for hours and with every update there is a risk something might break.

Just now, Applefreak said:

At this point try reinstalling windows but with a quick format for a clean install, don't forget to backup the important stuff. Also make a boot disk or thumb drive containing the most recent iteration of windows 10, so you can avoid updating for hours and with every update there is a risk something might break.

Yeh I was afraid it was going to have to come to that as I have a 5mbps connection 😭

Posted similar response in another topic. I have had issues on an rx5700.

Not sure about Nvidia, but try raising power limit to max, raise minimum clock rate to max. If that doesn't work you could try lowering those settings so your card uses less power, if like me you're running csgo on low settings it will be under utilised and will downclock. Causing stutters.

May be a placebo but I seem to run smoother with hpet and hdcp disabled.

Hdcp is linked to your monitor/hdmi, accessible via Radeon driver monitor settings (possibly in Nvidia settings) and hpet is accessible via device manager under 'system devices' heading. 

Oh also, there is a csgo beta you can apply for via steam where they have released a potential stutter issue fix with Nvidia cards, may help other brands too.

28 minutes ago, Wonds said:

Oh also, there is a csgo beta you can apply for via steam where they have released a potential stutter issue fix with Nvidia cards, may help other brands too.

do you get it in other games as well as CSGO?

6 minutes ago, borotech said:

do you get it in other games as well as CSGO?

Wait...  this happens ONLY in CSGO?  not everywhere?

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wait...  this happens ONLY in CSGO?  not everywhere?

I'm asking the other guy that. For me it is everywhere.

For me it's only csgo. It's CPU intensive and low settings probably don't help. Others have reported it's like their cards shut down to base clock speeds and then wake up again causing the spikes. 

COD MW on the other hand, runs fine on the highest settings.

Try the csgo beta if power limiting doesn't help.

59 minutes ago, borotech said:

I'm asking the other guy that. For me it is everywhere.

Everywhere everywhere?  Not just in games?  Which games?  If it’s only in games it might be when the gpu is stressed hard.  Some generic (as in not game specific) gamer benchmark program should be useful.  If it does it randomly it’s more likely to be hardware.  If it doesn’t or only does it in SPECIFIC PLACES a lot more information might be obtained.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Everywhere everywhere?  Not just in games?  Which games?  If it’s only in games it might be when the gpu is stressed hard.  Some generic (as in not game specific) gamer benchmark program should be useful.  If it does it randomly it’s more likely to be hardware.  If it doesn’t or only does it in SPECIFIC PLACES a lot more information might be obtained.

Apologies for not being clear. Happens in all games but I haven't noticed it in other tasks other than I am getting dropped frames in some YouTube videos (particularly 60fps ones) 

1 hour ago, borotech said:

Apologies for not being clear. Happens in all games but I haven't noticed it in other tasks other than I am getting dropped frames in some YouTube videos (particularly 60fps ones) 

YouTube shouldn’t normally be high use unless there’s some sort of codec mess up in which case it can still work but be high stress.  Prime95 is a massive cpu memory workout that doesn’t touch the gpu.  FurMark is a massive gpu workout that doesn’t hit the gpu hard.  If one goes but not the other it may say something if both go it might say something if neither goes it definitely says something.

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2020 at 4:30 PM, borotech said:

Can anyone please help me. I have spent a large amount of money and time on this PC and I am still getting frame skips on every game I play, regardless of settings. 

My specs 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x at stock speeds 

MBD: Asus Prime X570P - latest BIOS 

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Gaming OC (Triple fan version) at stock speeds - latest NVIDIA Drivers 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W 80 Plus Gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 C18 AMD Optimized Memory - running at 3600MHz through DOCP

M.2: Sabrent M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD (SB-ROCKET-512)

CASE: Corsair Carbide 275R

Games tested:

• CSGO
  • Rocket League
  • Rainbow Six Siege 
  • Civilisation 5 (although this game is a mess usually anyway ;) - thought I would throw in a CPU intensive one)  

My problem is this:

I get a stutter in games, regardless of what framerate I am at and regardless of what settings I am using. These stutters can also be seen in RivaTuner Statistics Server as downward lines on the framerate/frametime graphs. They can occur randomly but particularly occur when I bring up a type of menu (e.g. scoreboard, quick chats, settigns menu, etc), or when something happens in game (e.g. goal scored in rocket league, bomb goes off in CSGO). The ones that occur randomly, mid game, when seemingly nothing new is happening are the most annoying. I would say the menu/something happening in game ones happen every third time one of these actions take place, and the random ones take place anywhere from every minute to every 30 secs. 

Things that I have checked:

• Temps are fine (CPU, GPU and VRAM never go above 60C even at full, sustained load) - checked HWiNFO, ASUS BIOS, MSI Afterburner. 
  • GPU, CPU, RAM and SSD are all securely in place in the MBD. 
  • CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD usage are all normal when gaming (i.e. not maxed out). 
  • Nothing obvious is happening in Hardware Monitor/Task manager when the stutters occur. 

Things that I have tried (to no avail):

• Different monitors (Old Samsung 1080p at 60Hz; BenQ PD2700Q professional colour grading monitor 1440p at 60Hz; LG 24GL600F gaming monitor 1080p at 144Hz G-SYNC compatible). 
  • Disabled unnecessary settings on monitor (e.g. black adjust, power saving, auto brightness, etc)
  • HDMI vs Display Port  
  • V-SYNC On/Off on all monitors (in game and using NVIDIA control panel), NVIDIA Fast Sync On/Off on all monitors, G-SYNC On/Off on LG Monitor. 
  • Setting FPS limiter at various levels with RIvaTuner, as well as in-application on CSGO and Rocket League.
  • Disabling/uninstalling unnecessary applications and processes (e.g. ASUS BIOS bloatware, Synology apps, Adobe Apps, Xbox Game Bar (including gamebarpresence.exe, RGB controllers, etc), Google Chrome)
  • MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner (On/Off)
  • DOCP RAM overclock (On/Off) (3600vs2666MHz, timings auto change as well). 
  • Tried multiple versions of both ASUS BIOS and NVIDIA Drivers (both game ready and studio). 
  • Loaded games onto an external SSD to see if M.2 was the issue. 
  • Multiple versions of Windows tested. 
  • High Performance Power plan in control panel. 

This PC should be more than capable of playing these games without stutters, my 8 year old PC can do this! Due to the current global situation I have spent a large proportion of my time trying to fix this and I am becoming increasingly frustrated and upset (as it feels like I've wasted a lot of money). Due to all the software things I have tried I am starting to think it must be hardware related. Unfortunately I sold all my other PC parts in order to pay for this new PC so I cannot swap them out to isolate the issue. I can't just send the PC back for repair as I shopped around for components (from multiple manufacturers and retailers) and without being able to isolate the specific component It is unlikely that I can claim on any of their warranties. I would be hugely grateful to anyone who could help me work out which piece of hardware it is (or suggest a software fix which I haven't tried already), as I have no qualms about sending it off for warranty repair/replacement (even if it takes a long time - it will provide me with great comfort just to know what the issue is). 

Thank you very much. 

Did you ever figure this out ? Im having the same issues it seems on a very expensive pc .