2 Gpus

DoggoWaffles

can i have a gtx 1060 and a amd radeon 560 in at the same time because i have an extra gpu just laying around and no one wants to buy it

2 minutes ago, DoggoWaffles said:

can i have a gtx 1060 and a amd radeon 560 in at the same time because i have an extra gpu just laying around and no one wants to buy it

You can have them in the same machine at the same time but they wont work together to improve graphics quality.

You could use the second gpu to fold with ....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, DoggoWaffles said:

Technically yes. But it's not gonna do much part from consume power.

If you're doing Folding@home like me, it's great to have a second GPU. for other uses, though, it will often do nothing.

Trash beauty:

CPU: Xeon X5550

GPU: RX 570 4GB (defective)

SSD: Fattydove Racing 240GB

HDD: WD Blue 320GB

Motherboard: HP Z400

Ram: 6x2GB DDR3 1066

PSU: Corsair TX650

Its a shame as DirectX 12 was supposed to allow you to do exactly that, use any combination of GPUs.  I guess it was just too complicated to write game engines to handle it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its a shame as DirectX 12 was supposed to allow you to do exactly that, use any combination of GPUs.  I guess it was just too complicated to write game engines to handle it.

some game engines do it but it often doesn't make sense unless you got 2 very similar cards.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

i have a spare gpu as well. was going to 1060-sli hack them(have p106 and am on linux) but driver wont see it also people post bench marks but no how tos. only thing that sees it is "hwinfo --short". i could fold if driverless folding is a thing. and i knew how.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

but to answer your question kinda depends. diffrent sli auto for same series brand cards (1030-1080 ish) and amd's crassfire.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

6 hours ago, DoggoWaffles said:

Basic answer: Yes, but you probably will get no benefit from doing so. Especially when they're the low-end cards, and doing so degrades the main PCIe connection from 16x to 8x.

The main benefit you get from having two GPU's of any type (including the Intel iGPU on CPU's with them) is that it gives you a second/third OpenCL pipeline that certain software that is multi-gpu aware can take advantage of (eg v-ray), however unless you're doing video transcoding, you will probably not get any benefit from the second GPU since it would then require four passes through the system bus to compress. The initial render, then from the GPU to the system memory, once again to the second GPU to be compressed then back over the system bus to be packetized to the network. If you have any software composition, then that adds yet another layer and pass through the system memory.

As far as general purpose use goes, the primary benefit to two GPU's is to add additional monitors to a system that has has already exhausted the maximum displayport topology via Multi-Stream Transport. In general, this should be seen as 2 monitors per physical DP port, though it's really defined by the maximum resolution, refresh rate and color space. So you can in theory have three 4K monitors on a DP 2.0 MST. Where as HDMI does not support this at all.

My suggestion, as per usual, is to use the faster card only, and unless you have a pressing need to compress two videos at the same time on the same machine, you probably won't ever find a use case for having both.