High CPU Temperature after changhing GPU

Hello, is the first time i post here and english is not my mother toungue so forgive me if i do some mistakes :D

Anyway, Yesterday I put a new GPU (XFX RX 570) inside my computer because the old one (GT 740) was dead. Installation went smooth and everything was fine until i noticed high temperature from the CPU. In idle my cpu goes 52-55 C° and as soon as i start a game (or anything that stress the computer) the temperature reaches over 70° and keeps going until the computer shutdown. I thought the problem was the difference beetwen cpu and gpu so i tried first limiting the cpu power to 90% from Windows panel control and i got 20 min of gaming in League of Legends until i've reached 80°. Then i tried overclocking the cpu to 4.3 GHz and i don't really know if the overclock went wrong but it seems to me that things are slightly better and temperature now goes up and down between 60 and 70 for like ten minute but than again they go up till the cpu is too hot and the pc shut down. 

Here's my spec:

• CPU AMD FX 8320
  • CPU COOLER arctic freezer 13 co
  • MOTHERBOARD Asus m5a97 LE R2.0
  • GPU XFX RX570
  • RAM Kingston Fury DDR3 8gb (unico banco)
  • PSU THERMALTAKE ALIM. SMART SE 530W MODULARE
  • SDD Kingston 240gb
  • HDD WD Blue da 1tb
  • CASE Itek Replay 2.0

Since i live in Italy and the situation here is not really good. I'm trying to find at least a temporary solution that can allow me to fix the issue at least for couple of weeks, cause we can't really go out and amazon shipping time for computer components is at least a week.

I'm thinking what could be the solution, starting from the less expensive so maybe poor airflow? I don't have Thermal paste at the moment but i'm trying to find one asap, even though i don't think that's the problem cause it was all good until i've changed the GPU.

I forgot to say my Gpu temp. In Idle the gpu is between 24 and 30°. In League of Legends was about 40° and in Tomb Rider the temp was about 60° with ultra settings.

There are two things that could be going on here:

1. The GPU is a lot faster now (like, by a huge amount) meaning the CPU is now the "bottleneck". That doesn't mean the CPU is too slow, it just means that the GPU is handling things more easily than it used to do, and therefore the CPU is now maxed out more than it used to be.

2. The cooling solution was already very suboptimal and for some reason the new GPU makes that problem worse because it has a different shape/size or perhaps a different style of cooler, meaning the airflow could be worse now.

Either way you need to make sure the cooling system can handle components at 100% load. That means, getting good airflow in there and using thermal paste. Have you not used that at all on the cpu? because then of course it's overheating.

You can easily use toothpaste (the regular white stuff works best) as emergency thermal paste; it's kind of awful, but it's certainly a lot better than no thermal paste at all. Don't worry, it can easily be cleaned off to be replaced by actual thermal paste later on.

If you can't make it work this way, you'll need to turn down the overclock on that CPU, or even underclock it.

Of couse i have Thermal paste on my cpu atm :D I've just run out of new themal paste so i can't switch cooler with the stock one to see if that is the problem. But the toothpaste is actually not a bad idea for trying. I'm kinda sure the airflow is the problem there, but i doubt adding a fan would fix, so what should i do to fix? Change case or cpu cooler? I've seen a lot of people with 8320 and gpu powerefull like mine, is kinda weird.

I'm afraid to order new cpu and mb cause i think that if the problem is the airflow i would have the same issue with new hardware. 

So i've tried 10 minutes of gaming with star wars jedi fallen order with the case open like you will see in the picture. The temp at boot was 35°, as soon as the game started the temperature raised at 45°, and when i started playing, during the first couple minutes of game was kinda going still at 60° until it started raising and reached 72° after about 5 minutes. When i tab to see the temperature, i see it lowering of 2-3 grades istantly and now that the pc is still on but I'm not using it the temperature is still at 37°.

I bought the pc from a local store so I'm not really good with assembling pc, the only thing i did in over 5 years was cleaning the dust without going to deep on the motherboard cause I'm afraid to break it and changing the Thermal paste on the cpu cooler once a year (and while i do that i usually clean up what i can reach). 

photo6044325609468965119.jpg

photo6044325609468965121.jpg

photo6044325609468965122.jpg

photo6044325609468965124.jpg

photo6044325609468965123.jpg

I don't have much time to look at it in detail now, but first impression I'd say it'd be a good idea to turn the cpu cooler 90 degrees (anti-clockwise). (if you're able to)

I can't, I'm only able to turn it of 180 degrees .

Pretty dusty in there. 

Would be ideal to blow the dust out.

Do some cable management to get front fans to have better air flow.... I think I see a fan behind the wires??

Yes you are correct. I've cleaned at the best that i could. The problem is that i can't remove the front panel of the case so it's really hard to clean without removing everything (and i don't think I'm able to do it with the tools and the skills i have. Anyway i've cleaned a lot better the front of the case and it seems at least now that I'm browsing to have a stable 28° temp. 

I've already ordered one more fan that i can put in front of the cpu cooler and new Thermal paste.

I think your system might be starved for fresh air. Your new gpu is probably dumping a lot more heat into the case than your old one was. Will the system run and not crash with the side panel off?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Yes, but even with the panel on. After a really deep cleaning now the temperature are stable at 30° if i don't use it and about 40° while using mozilla. If i don't start any game all goes just fine. But in gaming after 10minutes i reach like 80°. it's kinda weird.

Try and run it with the side panel off, it might work if the system is currently starved for air as freeagent says.

or just run it with the back panel off

the panel that goes over the backside of the motherboard

Even with the panel off, while gaming the temperature rise at the same degrees (about 80° after 10 minutes).

HEY, also I noticed you have the same motherboard as my old one, it has overheating issues

because your not using the stock cooler, the motherboard chipset gets really hot, and causes shutdowns I had the same issues on that board

I would suggest using a fan and pointing it at the small heatsink below your cpu cooler

Forgot to say that i've never seen so low temperature in my computer in idle. I've just fixed cable management. But still runs too hot in gaming. 

I've just ordered a new fan that should go right in front of the cpu cooler (goes on the panel). I'm just not sure how should i Mount it. Anyway i hope that this fan with new Thermal paste will fix.

If you have a little usb fan or other small fan you should point it to the chipset I swear that helped me a lot. I had some overheating issues with a 6300 and gtx 1050

I don't have, I'm just gonna wait for the new fan and hope that will fix. Thanks to everyone anyway!

Spoiler

Cattura.thumb.PNG.4b38b9a73812389344bac3269a79b549.PNGCattura2.thumb.PNG.92d5b21feecff702de8a96274b95f163.PNG

I tried to play one game in League of Legends, 20 minutes of gaming. At the end of the game the temp was 76°, this screenshot of the temperature was taken about 1 min after the end of the game. The temperature dropped drastically. Is it normal? Now it's 17.31 (5 minute later) and the temp is 40° and keeps dropping.

Well, looks to me like your cooler is scooping hot air right off your gpu. You could run it outside of the case, or just order a different cooler. Doesn’t have to be fancy, just better than that one.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Do you think that a solution like a Noua Akari PRO would help?

It should be compatible with my socket.

So i've added a 140mm fan on the panel of the case pointing right in front of the gpu and cpu cooler and I turned the last one of 180 degrees and now temperatures are great. After 20minutes of playing on Star wars jedi fallen order my temp are about 53/54°. My Gpu temp is kinda high (about 77°) but i think could be normal in this kind of game?

On 3/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, akio123008 said:

1. The GPU is a lot faster now (like, by a huge amount) meaning the CPU is now the "bottleneck". That doesn't mean the CPU is too slow, it just means that the GPU is handling things more easily than it used to do, and therefore the CPU is now maxed out more than it used to be.

This, but not exactly a 8320 will not bottleneck a 570 its just that as you said the 570 is miles faster than the gt 740 which pushes the CPU in games to work while with the GT 740 the CPU would not work that much since there were not that many FPS to render from the weaker GPU... if you can call a GT 740 a GPU ... I would call it a video adapter...