Mac os lagging a lot after installing el capitan

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,
2 minutes ago, atharv1998 said:

Also when i try to install mac catalina using internet recovery it gives me download error. But my internet works fine.

Yeah, sounds like a dying hard disk. Sata SSDs are cheap, can't hurt to give it a try.

Hi everyone. I bought 2nd hand, imac 2012 (8gb ram and i5 with 1 tb hard disk). The guy installed windows 7 in it. When I used it windows 7 was working smoothly. As I wanted Mac os I formatted it and opened internet recovery which allowed me to install snow leopard. As I wanted to go to higher version of Mac I made Catalina bootable pendrive but it failed to install in it. So I installed el capitan on it and it was installed. But when I started using it started to lag a lot. What should I do?

Install Snow Leopard and don't run unsupported aoftware?

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Install Snow Leopard and don't run unsupported aoftware?

I installed snow leopard but it is still lagging a lot to a point that it is unusable. Any other options?

swap the awful and probably dying 5400rpm hard disk for an ssd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

swap the awful and probably dying 5400rpm hard disk for an ssd.

Hi, when i bought imac from him the windows 7 was working smoothly on it. Does it mean that hard disk is working fine? The computer only lags when imac is running MacOS.

Hi, when i bought imac from him the windows 7 was working smoothly on it. Does it mean that hard disk is working fine? The computer only lags when imac is running MacOS.

One possibility is that the stress of formatting and installation pushed the hdd over the edge and it's starting to die. That can be verified by reinstalling windows 7 and seeing if it still works fine. If you do that, run crystaldiskinfo to check your drive's health.

It's a pretty common problem with those models due to Apple refusing to put half decent storage in their $1100+ machines. To be honest even if the drive was as new I would still recommend installing an SSD.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 3/26/2020 at 8:21 PM, Sauron said:

One possibility is that the stress of formatting and installation pushed the hdd over the edge and it's starting to die. That can be verified by reinstalling windows 7 and seeing if it still works fine. If you do that, run crystaldiskinfo to check your drive's health.

It's a pretty common problem with those models due to Apple refusing to put half decent storage in their $1100+ machines. To be honest even if the drive was as new I would still recommend installing an SSD.

Hi, im unable to install windows in mac as I have no knowledge how to install it. But when I talked to the person from whom I bought it he told me that he faced the similar problem that is why he got windows installed in it. Also when i try to install mac catalina using internet recovery it gives me download error. But my internet works fine. I have attached the error pic.error.jpeg.2d4c120483d9819d9b61d4cad10b3aca.jpeg

Also when i try to install mac catalina using internet recovery it gives me download error. But my internet works fine.

Yeah, sounds like a dying hard disk. Sata SSDs are cheap, can't hurt to give it a try.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Sauron said:

Hi just found out what the problem was. i installed mac os on external hard disk. when i installed driverDx app. it showed me that my internal hard disk was failing. thnx for help