Slim USB 3.0 Type A to Type C adapter

In today's LTT Video I saw an adapter like the one in the picture. I found it so cool, that I started thinking about, is there is something like this but with USB 3, the only thing I found was a USB 3 stick that's kinda slim, but not an type a port to type c adapter.

So now the question, is there something like this?

Screenshot_20200323-222331_eBay.jpg

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I've got a Type C to Type A 3.0 adapter...like an inch long and was free with a $30 drive enclosure.  No way this thing has an extra IC in the connector.

I bought two USB C to USB 3.0 adapters from Ugreen. They work fantastically, and while I don't know their maximum speed, they do definitely go much further than USB 2.0 would. I believe I've seen them up to 150 MB/s. I don't have anything faster to test :P, but I'm fairly certain it's proper USB 3.0.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829008241.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dP11UzI

If you're looking at that link, be careful to pick the USB 3.0 one. There are 6 options, the 4 right most ones are USB 3.0. This is also said in the picture. The cheapest USB 3.0 version is 3.07 USD.

6BUej91.png

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

9 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I bought two USB C to USB 3.0 adapters from Ugreen. They work fantastically, and while I don't know their maximum speed, they do definitely go much further than USB 2.0 would. I believe I've seen them up to 150 MB/s. I don't have anything faster to test :P, but I'm fairly certain it's proper USB 3.0.

UGREEN is actually great and underrated. I have their 45W USB-C PD charger and it works well, and has amazing build quality.

@MisterTechnik, maybe try looking on AliExpress or the like for something like that? If you can navigate it, then Taobao might have something too.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

3 minutes ago, Baos said:

UGREEN is actually great and underrated. I have their 45W USB-C PD charger and it works well, and has amazing build quality.

I can confirm this. I've bought over 100$ of cables from them so far and everything works fantasticly and is very cheap as well. :D

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

to reiterate, OP wants a USB 3 version of this:

We know. I didn't directly answer the question, but I can now.

USB 3.0 has more connections than just the 4 shown in the picture above. This means it is physically not possible to do the same as in the picture above. The only solution that I know of is this (the left one):

r19BBfK.png

Those, if properly made, should be able to be USB 3.0. I didn't go with that option myself, as this adds a very long thing to the port of whatever you're connecting it to. Adding in a short wire (as shown in my previous picture) allows for some flexibility and significantly reduces the likelyhood of damaging the port or the adapter, I thought. :)

I've seen that USB 3.0 type a has five extra connections, so I thought it would be possible to, at least from the type a side.

I didn't know that there is a circuit needed in between.

Why isn't it just like connect + to +, d+ to d+ and all the other extras that USB 3.0 has to the corresponding one on type c?

Edited by MisterTechnik

23 hours ago, MisterTechnik said:

I've seen that USB 3.0 type a has five extra connections, so I thought it would be possible to, at least from the type a side.

I didn't know that there is a circuit needed in between.

Why isn't it just like connect + to +, d+ to d+ and all the other extras that USB 3.0 has to the corresponding one on type c?

AFAIK you don't need a chip to do extensions: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Degree-Adapter-Connection-Transfer/dp/B01MA1QZJM

These seem to be the slimmest you could get:

[links deleted, as apparently you DO need active chips to prevent A to C power overloads/miss connected pins]

In a similar way I was unable to find a Display port thin/slim right angle that fits within 1cm or even 2cm... I butched one apart to see if I could manually solder/move the wires, and it would be possible, but a right pain. So I'm moving / redesigning my PC case so it don't need a right angle. :(

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

In a similar way I was unable to find a Display port thin/slim right angle that fits within 1cm or even 2cm... I butched one apart to see if I could manually solder/move the wires, and it would be possible, but a right pain. So I'm moving / redesigning my PC case so it don't need a right angle. :(

Have you done a deep search on AliExpress for this? I imagine you would be able to find something like that on there if you search for a while (also go through suggestions after clicking on a product, they bring you to products you otherwise wouldn't have found). :)

2 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Have you done a deep search on AliExpress for this? I imagine you would be able to find something like that on there if you search for a while (also go through suggestions after clicking on a product, they bring you to products you otherwise wouldn't have found). :)

Yes. Some Drone camera cables were done as ribbon and low profile. However, IIRC these either sold out, or were unavailable in Display port full size last time I checked.

30 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

That one might work!

FPC DisplayPort is the thing you have to search for if you want to search for similar options