Help, Do I have a CPU bottleneck?

MrZablah

Hi,

CPU: I5-7500 3.40GHz

RAM: 16gb Single Channel 1199MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming5

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 ASUStek

I am having some problems when playing Cod Warzone, in terms of playing the game I actually can play it pretty well even at High settings. The things is that when playing the game even do it runs pretty well all the other things in my computer either froze or crash while playing the game even discord is unusable.

I have notice that my CPU is a 100% even when I play the game in low settings, so I don't know if I should get a new CPU or if something specific to that game.

I was looking to buy a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X if I found that my CPU is the bottleneck.

Hello.

If your CPU is 100% load and GPU is not then you are in this situation CPU bound (CPU bottlenecked if you will). Any other games displaying similar behaviour? 

I would advice you to get something like MSI Afterburner and set the OSD to display CPU and GPU clockspeed, load and temps and look for the situations where the CPU load is at 100% and the GPU usage is lower and to see how much lower it is. Also Shadow of The Tomb Raider has a good benchmark tool that shows you how much a limited factor your CPU or GPU may be. **EDIT: Also look for any reduction in clockspeeds**

Furthermore, what is your CPU load at desktop, when it should be idle?

13 minutes ago, miguel12979 said:

Hi,

CPU: I5-7500 3.40GHz

RAM: 16gb Single Channel 1199MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming5

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 ASUStek

I am having some problems when playing Cod Warzone, in terms of playing the game I actually can play it pretty well even at High settings. The things is that when playing the game even do it runs pretty well all the other things in my computer either froze or crash while playing the game even discord is unusable.

I have notice that my CPU is a 100% even when I play the game in low settings, so I don't know if I should get a new CPU or if something specific to that game.

I was looking to buy a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X if I found that my CPU is the bottleneck.

Yes, very much so. However, just as much of an issue is your single RAM stick. You really need to get a second stick for dual channel. That's gonna hurt potential performance like mad.

I'd say something more fair would be a Ryzen 5 3600, personally. Do both of those things and you're golden.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

20 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hello.

If your CPU is 100% load and GPU is not then you are in this situation CPU bound (CPU bottlenecked if you will). Any other games displaying similar behaviour? 

I would advice you to get something like MSI Afterburner and set the OSD to display CPU and GPU clockspeed, load and temps and look for the situations where the CPU load is at 100% and the GPU usage is lower and to see how much lower it is. Also Shadow of The Tomb Raider has a good benchmark tool that shows you how much a limited factor your CPU or GPU may be. **EDIT: Also look for any reduction in clockspeeds**

Furthermore, what is your CPU load at desktop, when it should be idle?

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply and help, My CPU load at desktop with only discord and chrome open is about 25-30%.

I have Asus GPU Tweak II, the thing is that when running the game only the game works so this program just froze.

I will try a benchmark and get back to you.

25 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Yes, very much so. However, just as much of an issue is your single RAM stick. You really need to get a second stick for dual channel. That's gonna hurt potential performance like mad.

I'd say something more fair would be a Ryzen 5 3600, personally. Do both of those things and you're golden.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply and help, is Ryzen 5 3500 a better option than the Ryzen 7 3800x? 

Oh the ram I didn't though about that thanks I will upgrade it to have at least one more.

4 hours ago, Zablah said:

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply and help, is Ryzen 5 3500 a better option than the Ryzen 7 3800x? 

Oh the ram I didn't though about that thanks I will upgrade it to have at least one more.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a cheaper alternative that won't limit you in any real way. The 3800x is overkill.

It also might be a good idea to look into getting two 8GB sticks of faster memory if you're going to go with AMD. Ryzen likes faster RAM. Two 8GB sticks of DDR4 3200 is pretty standard for memory and such.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Hi,

Well I buy two 8gb DRR4 3200 an it works better but CPU still goes to 100% so I have the same problem just it's not as bad as it was.

But whit this I can see thermals better so yeah my CPU is running 100% at 65c game run well but the same problem persist.

I will know look to see if I can but a new CPU, the Ryzen 5 3500 is a good option thanks @Imglidinhere for the suggestion.

20 hours ago, Zablah said:

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply and help, My CPU load at desktop with only discord and chrome open is about 25-30%.

I have Asus GPU Tweak II, the thing is that when running the game only the game works so this program just froze.

I will try a benchmark and get back to you.

🤔 The usage rate shouldn't be anywhere near 25% with just two or three low usage programs open if you have a decent CPU, which tells me you don't. At most it should be no higher than 10% if even that. You need to upgrade. I wouldn't go any lower than the R7 3700X if its within your budget. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10