Advice about buying a keyboard ?

voiha

Hi,

Basically Im thinking of buying Kingston HyperX Alloy Origins Red I fancy the price, I saw and read some reviews and from what I see it's a good keyboard.

But still is someone here with the same keyboard or knows something about it ? Any info will be apperaciated !
Is there a better choice for around that price tag ?

I don't mind mixing brands.

Thanks in advance !

3 minutes ago, voiha said:

Hi,

Basically Im thinking of buying Kingston HyperX Alloy Origins Red I fancy the price, I saw and read some reviews and from what I see it's a good keyboard.

But still is someone here with the same keyboard or knows something about it ? Any info will be apperaciated !
Is there a better choice for around that price tag ?

I don't mind mixing brands.

Thanks in advance !

The first step in choosing a mechanical keyboard is deciding what keyswitches you like best. Not only through reviews and through what others say, but preferably by trying out the switch type.

Have you tried Cherry MX Red switches already?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

The first step in choosing a mechanical keyboard is deciding what keyswitches you like best. Not only through reviews and through what others say, but preferably by trying out the switch type.

Have you tried Cherry MX Red switches already?

Yes, I have been really thinking if I should go for Brown or Red as I like the tactile feeling of the Brown. But not that much that I should pass on the Red. I don't like the rest of the switches.

Also Alloy Origins don't have Brown switch so..

Would you choose browns over red ?

The Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 with also red switches, i thing is a lot better.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 with also red switches, i thing is a lot better.

Sure but it's almost twice more expensive

Just now, voiha said:

Sure but it's almost twice more expensive

Not at all, it's just a nit more excpencive, but not twice the price, lol.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Yes, I have been really thinking if I should go for Brown or Red as I like the tactile feeling of the Brown. But not that much that I should pass on the Red. I don't like the rest of the switches.

Also Alloy Origins don't have Brown switch so..
Would you choose browns over red ?

Personally I have a strong dislike on how Reds feel, Browns are a bit better. But personally I am more of a 'clicky' fan.

But that's my personal opinion, so do not let that influence how you feel.

Try out Browns and Reds and see what you prefer.

HyperX Alloy keyboards feel pretty good for a consumer keyboard.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Not at all, it's just a nit more excpencive, but not twice the price, lol.

In stores at where I'm located the Hyperx Alloy Origins is 102 USD right now and the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 is 176 USD on Sale it was 227

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Personally I have a strong dislike on how Reds feel, Browns are a bit better. But personally I am more of a 'clicky' fan.

But that's my personal opinion, so do not let that influence how you feel.

Try out Browns and Reds and see what you prefer.

HyperX Alloy keyboards feel pretty good for a consumer keyboard.

Do you have any recomandations for Browns then in around this price point (100USD +-20) ?

In stores at where I'm located the Hyperx Alloy Origins is 102 USD right now and the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 is 176 USD on Sale it was 227

Where i live thhe difference is 40€

1 minute ago, voiha said:

Do you have any recomandations for Browns then in around this price point (100USD +-20) ?

Coolermaster makes good options, but their MK-series keyboards are just outside of that price range and I think the CK-series from them is just not that good.

But I wouldn't really have concrete recommendations..

I assume you're looking for a full sized keyboard?

Otherwise the Anne Pro or Ducky One keyboards are really good.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Coolermaster makes good options, but their MK-series keyboards are just outside of that price range and I think the CK-series from them is just not that good.

But I wouldn't really have concrete recommendations..

I assume you're looking for a full sized keyboard?

Otherwise the Anne Pro or Ducky One keyboards are really good.

Actually I don't mind TKL keyboards, that's why any recommendations I'll gladly take ;D
Thank you tho ! I'll look them up will go and try (if the store let me) the switches and see from there.

1 minute ago, voiha said:

Actually I don't mind TKL keyboards, that's why any recommendations I'll gladly take ;D
Thank you tho ! I'll look them up will go and try (if the store let me) the switches and see from there.

The two keyboards I mentioned are 60% keyboards (well.. Ducky One isn't a specific keyboard, but rather a range).

At least the big advantage with the Ducky boards is that they use high quality keycaps, which make the typing experience a lot different.

I'm typing on a HyperX Alloy FPS Pro right now.  It's clicky and loud (I have the Cherry MX Blue version) and built like a tank.  I like it.

Only red LED's, no RGB, but currently less than half the price of the HyperX Alloy Origins ten key version.