2080ti microstutter video, audio issues.

DaleBob

I recently upgraded my system. The first thing I did was buy a new GPU an ASUS RTX 2080ti, a Thermaltake P3 case, and a Thermaltake Floe DX 360 watercooler for my CPU. I used these with my existing i7 7700k, Asrock z170 pro-4, 970evo system running win10. 

I installed the GPU, case, and the watercooler at the same time.

Shortly after installing them, I began experiencing some very odd glitches at random intervals, though more likely to happen when the computer goes to sleep and wakes up... I would describe it as microstutter. When this happens, anything that uses the audio controller has a very bad static sound. Videos are garbled and laggy, game sounds are garbled, etc...

I then built a new system an i9 9900k, Maximus XI hero, new 970evo ssd, TridentZ 3866 ram, win10 fresh install. The only common components between the new and old system are the Thermaltake p3 case, the Thermaltake Floe DX360 watercooler, and the ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080ti. 

The sound and video problems have persisted with the new system.

But, I'm also thinking it may not be a GPU issue because sometimes Thermaltake's TT RGB Plus utility goes wonky when the computer sleeps, resetting the RGB settings on the fans, and when I awaken the system and open the program, it like stutters across the screen and causes odd visual problems just with the TT program, not with any others. The TT program seems to hook into the audio somehow in order to use certain effects. Could this be the issue? 

ALL of my drivers are up to date, I tried reinstalling every driver, and I even reinstalled windows to start with a fresh slate, I went so far as making a new boot disk.

The only time I've been able to get the system to come out of it was yesterday when I noticed it happening, I opened Task Manager to take a look, and saw that "windows audio device graph isolation" was using 10% of the CPU and was using High power. I ended the task, the task restarted itself and amazingly the issue went away, everything ran just fine afterwards. I can only imagine that is a temporary fix.

At this point, I'm not really sure how to proceed. 

Should I buy a regular CPU cooler and try a different GPU? Could the case have an issue with grounding or something causing a problem? I'm really lost here. I've spent a lot on this system and am pretty disappointed in it. 

I already sold all my old parts, so I cant even swap stuff out to test. 

The fact that the issue persists through MOBO's, Chips, Ram tells me its somewhere between the GPU, Case, Watercooler...

Here's a video of it happening. When I hit the start menu, it gets much much worse.

Thanks in advance

-Dale.

20200315_210846.jpg

i9 9900K   Asus Maximus XI Hero   Asus ROG RTX 2080ti   32gb G.Skill Trident Z 3866   2x 1tb Samsung 970EVO m.2  1tb Samsung 860    ROG THOR 1200w PSU   Thermaltake Floe DX 360 AIO   Thermaltake P3 red case   

Forgot to mention, GPU temps have never gone above 62C even playing Rust on max settings, as per the GPU Tweak utility. 

Also, I just found a 1050ti sitting in a box in my closet. I'm going to put that in the system and see if I can get it to produce the stutter. I think that would rule out the GPU.

Any and all advice appreciated.

i9 9900K   Asus Maximus XI Hero   Asus ROG RTX 2080ti   32gb G.Skill Trident Z 3866   2x 1tb Samsung 970EVO m.2  1tb Samsung 860    ROG THOR 1200w PSU   Thermaltake Floe DX 360 AIO   Thermaltake P3 red case   

What third-party utilities do you run to control RGB, monitor the system, etc?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Also, are you running your audio through the GPU or the motherboard?  Or both?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Oh and hello and welcome.

Thank you for the kind welcome. 

I'm only using the Thermaltake RGB Plus utility for the Thermaltake CPU cooler and the 4 RGB lights it has. It uses a controller that plugs into a USB socket on the mobo, and the software utility.. 

I'm using the ASUS Armory Crate app to control all the Asus Aura stuff on the mobo, gpu, psu. 

Audio is on a regular old 3.5mm jack to a set of logitech speakers, and on a USB logitech H390 headset. . Not running it through the Display port cable. Only using one monitor, an LG 32GK650G 

thanks again, 

Dale.

I have been running a 1050 TI since yesterday, and the problem happened again. I think this rules out the GPU as the culprit. 

Once again, the 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation was at 10% CPU, and Very High power usage. If I end the task, it starts again and audio /video work fine for a few minutes before going to crap again. 

I'm going to attempt to format the system and start fresh with minimal hardware installed. I will then install one piece of hardware at a time and see if something changes. 

Will also use minimal drivers.

any advice on what could be causing this would be appreciated. 

Dale.

23 minutes ago, DaleBob said:

-snip-

I would try to run the system without any rgb controller utility.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Try running it without any RGB crap, maybe even re-install Windows and try then.

Asus PRIME Z390-A | Intel Core i7 9700K | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 2400 | MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC | 256 M.2 SSD | 2TB SSHD WD

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies,

Uninstalling the Thermaltake RGB software makes the problem disappear entirely. With the software uninstalled, the fans only run at 540rpm static. 

I contacted TT and they are sending a new controller. I am not certain this will fix the issue, but since I am now able to reproduce the problem, I will know as soon as the controller arrives. 

I have been looking for a TT sync controller which allows the TT RGB to be controlled through the AURA software on one of the 5v headers. The controller also uses a fan header to control speed, so the BIOS would then be controlling fan speed instead of the TT software. They dont seem to be producing this controller anymore, but I was able to order one from overseas. If the TT controller they send is a bust, I'll just use the sync controller.

thanks again

-Dale.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

Thermaltake sent me a new RGB controller. Same problem on 2 systems. There seems to be an issue with their software. I was able to purchase a Thermaltake Sync Controller which allows ASUS Aura to control the RGB via a single 5v rbg header and fan speed through the controller via a single fan header on mobo. No more issues. Unfortunately, TT does not sell the TT sync controller any more, so I had to order one from overseas as they are difficult to find. I'd recommend avoiding any TT RGB products until they fix their software. 

When you have different utilities installed they interfere with each other.  I believe it's when they both try to access the SMU.  That might be what you're seeing as it does cause weird hangs.