Crunch Time!

MadyTehWolfie

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/doom-eternal-dev-talks-crunch-i-live-and-breathe-t/1100-6474780/

So I was surfing the web as one usually does and I came across this article. I can relate to this when I start working on my computer or detailing cars I'll spend all my waking time on it working on what I love to do. Can anyone else relate to this? 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

personal projects: irresponsible on a personal level, kinda cute

company projects: irresponsible on a managerial level, kinda bad

sure, a few employees are fine with that kind of choices, but imagine when those particular few suffer a burnout. it'd not be fair to others who aren't able or willing to carry 5 persons' worth of work all of a sudden. extremely especially with games and media, since art direction is highly subjective

Meant it more on a person choice level not forcing people to do more work then they want to level. The article talks about how he and his workers choose to spend the time working not being forced to spend the time working. That's the takeaway I was getting. EA crunch time is BS.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

46 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

well sure, i get that too, but when working as a team, they've got to learn to have contingencies in workload, in case they're suddenly out and others are forced to bite more than they could chew

i mean i can't speak for all studios out there (like the case in the article where the team are genuinely fond of their work together), but this might set a dangerous precedence where people interpret this as normal and expected ._.

More so the individual aspect of it I can relate to. As for my day job I couldn't give enough shits to work crunch anything for barely over minimum wage.

All time sensitive work is like that.

I designed trade show booths in 3D for a living and there were deadlines when designs had to be submitted and deadlines when they had to be built. 

I thrived because I had 3D game development experience and knew how to design objects and scenes that cut rending times so I never missed a deadline.

As a freelance I only did game jobs that instead of getting payed I got a piece of the action. I did not mind crunching since there was a payday at the end of it. 

I only stopped the gaming gigs because the tradeshow stuff was at a union rate so it payed into a pension.  

The down side is the reason I retired. If you are going to push it for years something will give out and you either continue working on painkillers or stop working altogether.

If you do that sort of job and you are not compensated enough to be able to stop if health gets in the way you are foolish. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 2 weeks later...

Does surfing the web count as time crunching?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition