Hello from Self-Isolation

InitSap

Hi all, I'm InitSap and I'm a long-time viewer of LTT and associated channels. I'm based in the Scotland and I'm currently on day 4 of self-isolation for coronavirus (yay)

I'm a software guy - I have a great understanding of how Windows and Linux work and I've done a fair bit of programming (all in my spare time, never done it as a proper "job" though I've done some casual work here and there)

However, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hardware cause I just haven't kept up with it very well (besides watching LTT). I used to understand it a lot better back when the end-user had to deal with it a lot more - I remember installing Debian on a ThinkPad E43 and spending 2 hours troubleshooting its refusal to detect the Broadcom ethernet chip 😂

I'm considering going for my first custom rig at some point this year, so I thought it'd be a good time to register here!

5abd1e80a85c1_HelloThere.jpg.348ef61d4984a96e1d032e11c4b6395a.jpg

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Remember to read the Community Standards, which are kind of like the rules of the forum. Doing so will make your stay that much nicer for you and everyone else involved, thank you~. 😆

Whenever you're ready for your custom build, do feel free to drop a thread in New Builds and Planning if you'd like some help with that.

For some things, like the power supply, you're better off asking the community which ones are good and which are junk. It's easy to get misled by marketing and lower prices after all. Of course, you can research on your own prior to that, but why waste time when you can have someone do all the work for you simply by stating your budget? 😂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Welcome. If you are bored and need recommendations for TV shows and movies, feel free to ask. Isolation is tedious.

Welcome.

i used to have my system on dual boot back in the days.  Using windows 98 and later xp for gaming and linux mandrake (later mandriva) distro for all the rest.  I still have two core2quad sitting in a corner and was feeling the urge to put up a linux system for general purpose and light gaming.  I was thinking about ubuntu.  Is it an easy distro to use and game on ?

We are not in isolation for now here.  I still can go to work and I won't be able to work from home as I am a machinist and I can't really bring that bp-130 home along with the stuff I work on. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Hello and welcome. You can get good help here with parts recommendation and tips.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, InitSap said:

I have a great understanding of how Windows work

Finally! Good to see someone that do. 👍😅

Welcome from Westchester county NY. One of the hot beds of the USA. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD