Nvidia Optimus please help I beg you

galaxyrooter

Dell XPS 15

intel hd 530

gtx 960m

4k TV, shit HDMI cable. Intel control panel FORCED to 1080p 60 because 4k is capped at 30. Nvidia still uses 3840x2160p 30Hz native resolution, which means gaming on 1080p is capped at 30Hz. Suicide

How to fix these pieces of crap? I just want to make Nvidia think this is a 1080p display, to enjoy all 60 frames that the 960m can give. Thanks

so you are running a laptop to try an play games on a TV? that is not going to work very well no matter what you. several people have had this issue and I am not sure at all but I think they have had to buy actual desktop parts and case to making it work.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

so you are running a laptop to try an play games on a TV? that is not going to work very well no matter what you. several people have had this issue and I am not sure at all but I think they have had to buy actual desktop parts and case to making it work.

what are you trying to say? makes zero sense to me...

3 minutes ago, galaxyrooter said:

what are you trying to say? makes zero sense to me...

you said you were running a Dell XPS 15 and I looked it up and it showed it was a laptop computer. I was saying that several people on here and a few other forums I am on were asking why they couldn't run their laptop at the settings they wanted. some reasons where because of a bad cable, others because the display monitor wouldn't support it and others because the systems were not compatible at all. so finding your issue is going to take a while and the best thing I can tell you to do is to just buy some desktop components like a case, power supply and other stuff and build a desktop to do what you are wanting to do.

other than that I have no idea as I have never tried to plug in a laptop to my TV to play a game.

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

you said you were running a Dell XPS 15 and I looked it up and it showed it was a laptop computer. I was saying that several people on here and a few other forums I am on were asking why they couldn't run their laptop at the settings they wanted. some reasons where because of a bad cable, others because the display monitor wouldn't support it and others because the systems were not compatible at all. so finding your issue is going to take a while and the best thing I can tell you to do is to just buy some desktop components like a case, power supply and other stuff and build a desktop to do what you are wanting to do.

other than that I have no idea as I have never tried to plug in a laptop to my TV to play a game.

i think that buying a case and some desktop parts is not a good fix for this issue, but whatever

1 minute ago, galaxyrooter said:

i think that buying a case and some desktop parts is not a good fix for this issue, but whatever

well I just say this because it looks like you are asking a laptop to do more than it was designed to do as far as I can tell. the cheapest thing to do would to get another better HDMI cable and see if that works.

I'm assuming you're on Windows?  You'll probably need to post which version, etc. before somebody can help you.  Just know going in that Optimus has been a huge pain for a lot of people so it may take some work to get it to do what you want.  I have more experience with (not) getting it to work with Linux where it's been famously difficult.  8 years after this video and it still only kind of works.

The only advice I can give is update all of your drivers/software, make sure you're plugged into the wall and make sure all of your settings are set to 'performance' where applicable.  Since Optimus is fundamentally a power saving feature it will almost always throttle when on battery.  Maybe (big maybe) keeping your laptop lid closed so you're only powering one monitor will free it up as well since Nvidia often dislikes pushing multiple framerates to multiple displays.