Help find new display - ultrawide or even super ultra wide?

FreakyAlleyCat

Hi everyone,

i've been using two 23" 1080p displays (LG 23MP65) in a dual setup for the last couple of years, so i'm used to having two full sized 16:9 windows in my workflow.

Now that i've started getting back into gaming a little more, i'm feeling a bit unhappy with this setup because the full frame on only one 23" display feels kinda small in game and using both of them (in games light flight simulator) leads to the thick black bezels right in the center of view. So i'm thinking of upgrading my display to some sort of ultrawide solution.

I do some amount of video editing and colour grading, but not in a professional way, so a somewhat accurate color representation would be kinda cool.

I also do lots of audio editing (in a professional way) so the more display real estate the better (for multiple windows like mixing console, timesheet, plugins and so on).

I've also started getting back into gaming (mainly titles like rdr 2 and other triple A story based stuff) so a somewhat decent refreshrate might also be important (but not going for maximum fraps).

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

- Do you guys think that switching from two full sized displays to "only" ultrawide could work out? Or should i go full berserk and get a super ultra wide right away? The problem is, that the two 23" displays i'm using right now is kind of the maximum width I can fit on my desk (because of acoustics and speaker setup in my room) but I cannot find a super ultrawide equal to a dual 23" setup - only way bigger stuff? I'd also like to not break the bank completely.

- Is it smart to upgrade to 1440p while i'm at it? I honestly have no idea whether 1080p is a dying concept. :D 

I'm running an rtx 2070 super, so I should be able to run most displays available but I honestly have no idea where to start looking and what to look for. Do you have any recommendations?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

FreakyAlleyCat

Try that 32:9 ultrawide monitor. The one from LG (or was it Samsung).

As I said above, with a width of 120cm those are equivalent to two 27" monitors and will not fit my studio desk setup.

8 hours ago, FreakyAlleyCat said:

Do you guys think that switching from two full sized displays to "only" ultrawide could work out? Or should i go full berserk and get a super ultra wide right away? The problem is, that the two 23" displays i'm using right now is kind of the maximum width I can fit on my desk (because of acoustics and speaker setup in my room) but I cannot find a super ultrawide equal to a dual 23" setup - only way bigger stuff? I'd also like to not break the bank completely.

I have a 21:9 and a 16:9 monitor. Honestly you can fit two windows side by side on the 21:9 screen just fine. The only issue is full screen videos. You will have black bars on the side as most if not all internet videos are created for 16:9 monitors. If your ok with that, Id say go ultrawide. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks, it's actualy quite helpful!

I'm only a little afraid that I might not be able to use the 21:9 the way i'm using my dual screens right now but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to. Might have to go to a store and check the different ratios out for my self alfter all the corona lockdown stuff is over.