Help with RAID on P8Z77-v pro

So, i have the motherboard said in the title. I currently have 2 drives: 1 Samsung SSD for boot and 1 2TB HDD for storage. I have a few Intel SSD's i want to set up in raid 0 to store a few applications i want to run faster without cluttering up my

C: drive.

Now, in the bios there is an option to change the SATA controller mode from AHCI to either IDE or RAID. To configure raid i assume i just flick this option, but will it require all the drives to be set up or can i chose the specific drives? also, I've googled it a bit and it seems some used a Proprietary software to configure raid, but that's not strictly necessary?

Also also: it seems like the chipset supports 2 sata 6GB/s and 4 3GB/s, with an ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller that got 2 additional sata 6GB/s ports. if i use raid, does it matter which ports i use? I've obviously got the 2 current drives in the regular SATA 6GB/s.

please help a bloke out :)

In RAID mode you'll select the drives you put in an array, others aren't affected.

The BIOS should have individual IDE/AHCI/RAID for each controller, most likely the Asmedia one won't support RAID. Whether it does or not you must of course connect all the drives that need to be in a given RAID set to the same controller.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

If you love your data I would recommend you going with RAID5 instead of RAID0 since in second case even slightest glitch will flush all your data away. Nowadays parity RAID5/6 are the best options for SSDs since it gives you all the benefits of using a RAID which are redundancy, performance and storage efficiency https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/raid-5-was-great-until-high-capacity-hdds-came-into-play-but-ssds-restored-its-former-glory-2.

Just connect your SSDs to free 3GB/s ports of the motherboard, enable RAID mode and create a RAID group using the SSDs in question only. Leave the rest of the drives as is and you will be fine. 

1. The drives will be wiped when the RAID is formed.
  2. You will manually select the drives you want to use.
  3. You will need to install the RAID driver. This is usually obtainable from the motherboard website.
  4. For SATA SSDs you will want to use only the SATAIII ports to get the full bandwidth.