Thinking of installing Linux again

So, as the title states, i've thought about installing Linux again after a long absence. 

I haven't had Linux installed on any of my pc's in around 15 years. Not since Red Hat 8.0 in 2002 or something.

The first Red Hat I installed was version 5 in 1998. I always used the Afterstep window manager because I liked the look.

afterstep.jpg.ceba8e7f35985a22c416a827e3fa9637.jpg

And the gnome desktop looked like poo at that time. Example:

GNOME_2.2_on_Red_Hat_Linux_9_--_2003-02.png.b3d08ad0110cc9c99f0eb9d08077b50b.png

I even used the Litestep shell for my windows install in that time to keep with the theme. Those were the days. (insert member berries meme here)

I installed MacOS High Sierra/win10 dualboot when I built my new rig in a 2002 Powermac G4 graphite case over a year ago,

but since my 2080tiFE is too new for the Nvidia web drivers for mac (only support up to 1080ti witch was my previous gpu),

I havent used MacOS in a while, so now I have a spare 80gb sata ssd just waiting for a new os to dualboot alongside win10. 

And also gaming is coming along for Linux now, so the future looks bright.

A pic of my mancave.

IMG_3954.thumb.JPG.c1a8a8bb186ae15de4bd844f9ffa14cc.JPG

I've since relocated the Computer to the window behind the sofa to manage the case temps under heavy loads. (it's tiny)

And also, outside temps during the winter in northern Norway is ideal for gaming rigs on window sills. 

IMG_3956.thumb.JPG.8da2a904e420cf449917e59285330d81.JPG

I've found a few YT videos of people modifying linux to look like MacOS,

so to keep up with the theme of the build I want to install Linux and modify it to look exactly like MacOS. A blatant ripoff if you will. 

I like the look and feel of MacOS, but disliked the lack of GPU support. I guess that's where Linux comes in. 

So, what distros would be the best to MacOS-ify, or is there any updated and active already customized distros available?

I've looked a bit at Pearl Linux, based on gnome I think, but that looks discontinued.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? 

Sleeper Powermac G4 Ryzentosh/windows Gaming rig, 2700X @4.05ghz, 16ghz 3200mhz ddr4 ram @3400mhz, 2080ti FE overclocked. 

38 minutes ago, FunkyHunk said:

customized distros available?

As @Slottr mentioned, ElementaryOS is a blatant rip-off of MacOS, only less useful.

Beyond that, distrowatch.com is your friend

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

With open source software you will find that aesthetics and user experience are inconsistent from program to program.  I suspect that Apple's offerings will be more to your liking.

Anyway, if you're up for a Linux adventure, give Bodhi Linux a look.  It comes with it's own Moksha desktop that you won't find in another distro.  Maybe you will like it.  Extensive customization is one of the strong points with it by the way.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:02 AM, Slottr said:

Take a look at ElementaryOS

On 3/11/2020 at 1:38 AM, Radium_Angel said:

As @Slottr mentioned, ElementaryOS is a blatant rip-off of MacOS, only less useful.

Beyond that, distrowatch.com is your friend

I'll check elementary OS out, thanks. 

distrowatch was messy, but lots of info. 

On 3/11/2020 at 8:21 AM, r00tb33r said:

With open source software you will find that aesthetics and user experience are inconsistent from program to program.  I suspect that Apple's offerings will be more to your liking.

Anyway, if you're up for a Linux adventure, give Bodhi Linux a look.  It comes with it's own Moksha desktop that you won't find in another distro.  Maybe you will like it.  Extensive customization is one of the strong points with it by the way.

Well, inconsistencies in programs is a given with the open source nature of Linux. MacOS doesn't support my current hardware so I can't use it without video acceleration, that is why I want to use Linux that looks like MacOS. (as I said I like the look)

I'll check out bodhi also. 

How is Linux with support for my 2080ti? Are the drivers good?

Sleeper Powermac G4 Ryzentosh/windows Gaming rig, 2700X @4.05ghz, 16ghz 3200mhz ddr4 ram @3400mhz, 2080ti FE overclocked. 

8 hours ago, FunkyHunk said:

Are the drivers good?

With *nix (and I speak as a fan) "good" is a fluid term. They are acceptable.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The most common way people change their desktop to look like mac OS is to use gnome.  Since Ubuntu comes with gnome and is the most commonly used distribution (which means there are tons of helpful articles out there about it), I would suggest using that OS.

Here is an older article that should still be relevant:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/make-ubuntu-look-like-mac-5-steps

Basically, if you want the most comfortable painless experience, go with Kubuntu. Read on why exactly.

• It is based on Debian which is most widely used foundation and Ubuntu is on top of the "food" chain within Debian family. It's very unlikely it'll just disappear or stopped being developed unlike many smaller distros forking Ubuntu. And being so widely used and supported, most things will just work with it and have proper support.
  • Ubuntu is running absolute garbage of a desktop, Unity or Gnome or some shit. Bottom line, it's absolutely terrible usability wise because it wastes so much screen estate it's not even funny. And switching between running apps is just moronic. Kubuntu fixes that with KDE.
  • Kubuntu is actually the same thing as Ubuntu, just with KDE instead of trash desktop used by Ubuntu. KDE is visually almost the same as Windows interface and it just works. Familiar environment that's pleasant to look at and also functional.

And to this date, I didn't know Kubuntu is actually Canonical's own fork of (their own) Ubuntu, just with KDE bolted on top. I have no idea why they separate them so strictly instead of offering Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the same page, allowing people to pick either desktop style and letting them know they are in fact the same thing with different desktops on top.

Alternatives:

If you don't mind doing some of the dirty work and being adventurous a bit, you can also give Linux Mint a try (it's based on Ubuntu and runs minimalsitic Cinnamon desktop). I actually like it a lot and being Ubuntu based, a lot of things also just work with it.

There is a third option and that's Manjaro KDE. It's a rather weird choice and it's strange that I like it. It's based on ArchLinux which is whole different family entirely separate from big Debian/RedHat/Slackware group. Arch is the only other smaller distro family next to Android that's doing really well along in parallel with old big ones. And within that group, Manjaro is somehow sticking out a bit more. Maybe partially because of LTT's exposure of it and partially because it's "just works" distro within Arch family (maybe I'm doing injustice to others, but that's the impression I got working with it). They have a very good community support and finding solutions for it is rather easy. And of course KDE version of it because Gnome is trash the same way it is with Ubuntu.

I have very limited use with MAC OS, but I’m loving Solus 4.1 (budgie). I had no issues with drivers installing and everything came up first go. The software center provides easy use and I haven’t had any issues that couldnt be addressed by checking their forums.

Now I did some thinking trying to think what might suit you. Now with that I had like nothing to work with, but I will use my best detective work to figure it out. Maybe Linux Mint, or if I ever get to releasing it Ubuntu Lumina if you'd prefer an older looking desktop. If you want to Tinker either Arch or if you want to spend less time working on the OS Manjaro or using the Archfi installation too. Gentoo is also an option and also has its own Archfi-like tool but I do not remember the name. If you'd want more elegance, then I'd recommend Solus, and if you like a more Windows-experience but with a "Get out of Jail Free Card" for the Os when you want it I would then recommend elementary. All of these are good distributions but I tried my hardest to figure out what might be best for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for your input.  

I installed Elementary OS 5.1.2 finally and have been using it for a few weeks now. 

It's been working okay really. Had a bit of an issue with the screen output going dark when loading the display drivers. 

I got around that, and it worked since.

Only thing is, I'd like the display zoom to work better.

Elementary os only lets me zoom 1:1 or 2:1 when running the 49" displays native resolution in 4k. and 1080p on it looks a little bit meh. 

I'd like to zoom maybe 1.5x or 1.75x.