why are dark modes so inconsistent still?

i simply don't understand. 

for example, my MacBook has automatic dark/light mode switching based on the time of day, Windows doesn't. if i set my OS to dark mode almost all apps change with it on macOS, on Windows they don't. even on Mac discord doesn't change, i have to do that manually. 

the same happens on the Web. apple released a feature in safari that automatically enables dark mode on websites when you set the system to dark mode but almost no websites support it. why? 

it seems so simple to make this super streamlined.

She/Her

i think it is because rigt now it isn't a standard to do it, so any brand, site, and software developer does it the way they want.

For me personally I only use dark mode so I don't really have this issue. But I can see where you're coming from. Yes, it would be nice if apps and programs could auto switch themes, however devs making those programs have to spend extra time that they'd much rather spend on something else like: Fixing bugs, streamlining the core experience or expand the app.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 minutes ago, Danioki said:

i think it is because rigt now it isn't a standard to do it, so any brand, site, and software developer does it the way they want.

probably. macOS has already fixed that though, even 3rd party apps on Mac now auto-switch if the developer has implemented the feature.. 

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

For me personally I only use dark mode so I don't really have this issue. But I can see where you're coming from. 

i have a glossy screen on my laptop, dark mode during the day is a big no no... 

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

streamlining the core experience

i'd argue not being blinded if i set my system to dark because the app doesn't switch with it like discord is a better experience...

She/Her

Just now, Twilight said:

if the developer has implemented the feature.. 

yeah, and you have to consider that each developer has to now implement macOS, windows, android, IOS, and so on dark modes....

7 minutes ago, Danioki said:

yeah, and you have to consider that each developer has to now implement macOS, windows, android, IOS, and so on dark modes....

many apps already have them, they are just not automatic. 

She/Her

I wish FaceBook had a dark mode...

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

37 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I wish FaceBook had a dark mode...

dark reader extention... 

She/Her

36 minutes ago, EL02 said:

FYI all windows phone apps had dark mode. ?Great OS...

i never used it, but i will say that it was relatively easy to use. my mom used it for a long time and i had to troubleshoot/explain some things to her, and basically if you know how to use the windows 10 interface you know windows phone. totally different experience form android where samsung and lg for example have totally different settings menu's. 

Windows Phone had something iOS also has. it's the same on every device that runs it. 

She/Her

Every time something appears that requires multiple parties to do something it takes months/years for it to propagate, especially when it's not considered essential.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Jeve Stobs said:

how does that help? i am already using it. the irritating thing is that i have to manually disable/enable it every time. 

Just now, Kilrah said:

Every time something appears that requires multiple parties to do something it takes months/years for it to propagate, especially when it's not considered essential.

sadly true. however with desktop apps they've had 5 years in case of Windows and 6 years in case of macOS to adopt the dark mode that exists in the OS. even free apps like Handbrake have it now.... 

She/Her

Just now, Twilight said:

how does that help? i am already using it. the irritating thing is that i have to manually disable/enable it every time. 

sadly true. however with desktop apps they've had 5 years in case of Windows and 6 years in case of macOS to adopt the dark mode that exists in the OS. even free apps like Handbrake have it now.... 

Actually, you can use the non-inverted list under the sites tab. It works well. I am surprised you haven't tried it yet.

Just now, Jeve Stobs said:

Actually, you can use the non-inverted list under the sites tab. It works well. I am surprised you haven't tried it yet.

that's not the point at all!! have you read my OP?

She/Her

31 minutes ago, Twilight said:

that's not the point at all!! have you read my OP?

I recommended Dark Reader for your issue in Safari, not your issue in MacOS. This will make all of your websites dark, not your OS. I do not know how to fix that issue.

14 minutes ago, Jeve Stobs said:

I recommended Dark Reader for your issue in Safari, not your issue in MacOS. This will make all of your websites dark, not your OS. I do not know how to fix that issue.

you clearly didn't read the OP...

She/Her

Stupid mistake. My bad.