Best NAS software to use for my use case

Hi all, 
So start off with my hardware:
Dual Xeon 32 Core 2.1ghz, 128gb RAM, Dual 10gbe, Quadro P2000 (Plex/Emby Transcoding)
Storage I was thinking of going with:
2x 250gb SSD 
2x 128gb SSD Boot Mirror
2x 1tb SSD Docker containers and downloads
18x 8tb HDD's Storage (If I go ZFS, thinking 2 vdev's of 9 drives each in RaidZ2) 

Currently I'm using unRAID with Plex/Emby/Sonarr/Radarr/NZBget/LetsEncrypt (might move this to my OPNsense Router)/Hydra/NextCloud/Syncthing Dockers.

I was thinking Proxmox with FreeNAS ontop (liking the idea of ZFS) and then something running Portainer or something for Dockers. I'm battling to get my head around a lot of aspects of this. 
I could run FreeNAS baremetal, but was thinking of Plex/Emby Transcoding issues.
Was also thinking about future upgrades if I wanna rebuild FreeNAS or something I can save a snapshot.
But getting my head around how Sonarr/Radarr will download and then pass that data to the storage array is making my head hurt (permission wise)

I could use Proxmox and create a ZFS Pool via Proxmox and then pass that through to OMV or something else maybe? 
Or maybe just use OMV itself with ZFS, and Portainer built in?

Just kinda trying to find the best home NAS solution. 
I like unRAID that I am currently using, and have it setup well but 2 things:
1) I like to tinker and learn new things
2) I find that pushing 4k high bitrate stuff through unRAID painfully slow with it using only 1 drive at a time. So I'd like to use a raid of some sort, and really like ZFS or better yet OpenZFS.

Any thoughts, and sorry for the ramble.

This really looks to be like something that's purely up to you. You don't look to have a real objective.

If you just want a NAS FreeNAS or OMV should have you covered.

If you want a NAS and a good hypervisor PROXMOX or UnRAID should have you covered.

Your best option may be to setup a test server and see how your workflow works with each OS then go with which one goes the smoothest.

I have a guide on GPU pass-though for PROXMOX and Debian+QEMU if you need help with that. Being a Quadro it should be easy.

Honestly I'm just looking for peoples thoughts.

I've played around with all the solutions above. FreeNAS was neigh on impossible to get my Plex/Sonarr.. all that stuff working right. Even their support forums and users were atrocious. But their ZFS work is awesome, so was just wondering about use FreeNAS as just storage.

If I am doing that I might as well use Proxmox but then the question about HDD pass through comes up and if thats worth it.

I did use OMV before to good success.

So now I'm looking at it yet again :)

Might be a good solution with v5 using Portainer for dockers and ZFS support via Plugin.

1 hour ago, N0_Klu3 said:

Honestly I'm just looking for peoples thoughts.

I've played around with all the solutions above. FreeNAS was neigh on impossible to get my Plex/Sonarr.. all that stuff working right. Even their support forums and users were atrocious. But their ZFS work is awesome, so was just wondering about use FreeNAS as just storage.

If I am doing that I might as well use Proxmox but then the question about HDD pass through comes up and if thats worth it.

Unless the FreeNAS OS hold a function that can't run on PROXMOX there really isn't a reason to virtualization FreeNAS since PROXMOX supports ZFS natively. You can install a LXC Container to create a local SAMBA share for network users. I have a mixed Tutorial on this as well (not specifically for LXC containers but can be used for it).

You're better off passing through an HBA then all the disks you connect will automatically be recognized by the VM. I did this on PROXMOX with Ubuntu Server because the application required a program that couldn't run in a LXC Container.

1 hour ago, N0_Klu3 said:

I did use OMV before to good success.

So now I'm looking at it yet again :)

Might be a good solution with v5 using Portainer for dockers and ZFS support via Plugin.

I've not used OMV before but based on what I've heard it's more of a beginner kind of NAS OS. Like it's meant for users who aren't looking for very advanced functionality. If that's all you're after or if I'm just wrong then OMV is an option.