WATERCOOLING WITH A FRIDGE

Go to solution Solved by SolarNova,
10 hours ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Hi all,
I plan on making a server and want to have a fairly powerful cpu,

I currently own this cpu: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V6 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor. I would like to use this for a server but can't decide on what motherboard to use as I want to be able to overclock it a lot, Could i perhaps run the cooling loop through a mini fridge to cool it so i can overclock it to around 6GHz?

Wont work well at all.

Even if the fridge could handle the heat load, it wouldnt handle it for very long, they are not designed with the intention of running the compressor all the time which is what would happen if u place a heat source inside it.

Next if it managed to chill the loop below ambient u would eventually have condensation issues to deal with, which u have made no mention of so ur system would be unprotected and short out.

Next , 6hz is not possible, 5ghz would be very extreme, u'd need subzero cooling for that with an unlocked CPU.

Since the CPU is locked ur going to be using the bclk, so chances are ull be aiming at 4ghz, which ull be able to do under air cooling or a basic ambient water loop.

So while the initial idea would surely be a fun project, its rather pointless im afraid .. sorry to disappoint.

Hi all,

I currently own this cpu: Intel Xeon E3-1245 V6 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor. I would like to use this for a server but can't decide on what motherboard to use as I want to be able to overclock it a lot, Could i perhaps run the cooling loop through a mini fridge to cool it so i can overclock it to around 6GHz?

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

Condensation + motherboard = ?????

I would like to see this though...crossing my fingers for you. 

Anyone have any links to see other people's attempts/successes?

1 minute ago, 2w1r3dfuz3 said:

Condensation + motherboard = ?????

I would like to see this though...crossing my fingers for you. 

Anyone have any links to see other people's attempts/successes?

OP doesn't mean inside the fridge, more that the radiator would be inside the fridge. Linus made a video about it.

The conclusion:

A heat source inside a fridge is bad news. It expels heat faster than the fridge can dissipate, so it actually just hot boxes itself. Basically it's as bad as not using cooling.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

OP doesn't mean inside the fridge, more that the radiator would be inside the fridge. Linus made a video about it.

The conclusion:

A heat source inside a fridge is bad news. It expels heat faster than the fridge can dissipate, so it actually just hot boxes itself. Basically it's as bad as not using cooling.

What way could I try and cool it then? I want to be able to cool it as best as possible as i will try and overclock the cpu a lot. I know it isnt an unlocked CPU but I have seen others overclock similar CPU's.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

4 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

What way could I try and cool it then? I want to be able to cool it as best as possible as i will try and overclock the cpu a lot. I know it isnt an unlocked CPU but I have seen others overclock similar CPU's.

If you took the condenser out of the fridge and made a custom loop out of it as a chiller you could get away with decent cooling, but that's much more involved than buying a cooler master hyper 212 Evo off eBay. Not sure how much money you intended to spend on cooling though.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

To 6GHz Liquid nitrogen and luck. And only for the few minutes you would need to document its "stability" running some benchmark.

If you are thinking about 24/7, unattended operation, then that kind of overclock is not in the cards.

If you took the condenser out of the fridge and made a custom loop out of it as a chiller you could get away with decent cooling, but that's much more involved than buying a cooler master hyper 212 Evo off eBay. Not sure how much money you intended to spend on cooling though.

My budget is around $200 for the cooling, Would it be able to handle the cpu going from the 3.6ghz base to ~4.7 base clock

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

To 6GHz Liquid nitrogen and luck. And only for the few minutes you would need to document its "stability" running some benchmark.

If you are thinking about 24/7, unattended operation, then that kind of overclock is not in the cards.

I need a CPU that can boost over 5GHz so thats why i wantto overclock the one i have atm.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The conclusion:

I live in australia so its hot a lot of the time, This doesn't help with my cooling so I need a way of cooling efficiently. I was going to just throw the heat out the building but the heat outside is the same as the cpu would be so it wouldn't work.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

23 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

My budget is around $200 for the cooling, Would it be able to handle the cpu going from the 3.6ghz base to ~4.7 base clock

$200 aud can at least get you some impressive air coolers, like the noctua NH-D15

Primary PC:

$200 aud can at least get you some impressive air coolers, like the noctua NH-D15

Would that be sufficient for the overclocking i would like to do?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

15 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Would that be sufficient for the overclocking i would like to do?

5GHz is extreme for that chip, I don't think you can use standard cooling to get it done

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

5GHz is extreme for that chip, I don't think you can use standard cooling to get it done

What would possibly be the best speed for the cpu?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

1 minute ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

What would possibly be the best speed for the cpu?

it depends very heavily on silicon lottery

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

it depends very heavily on silicon lottery

i want to atleast get the base cpu speed to 4GHz from 3.7, is that possible? Also what would be the best MB?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

5 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

i want to atleast get the base cpu speed to 4GHz from 3.7, is that possible? Also what would be the best MB?

well, since it's kaby lake you can trust high end Z270 motherboards to do the job, and I bet you can get somewhere pretty close to 4.5GHz

Primary PC:

well, since it's kaby lake you can trust high end Z270 motherboards to do the job, and I bet you can get somewhere pretty close to 4.5GHz

just with a $200 watercooling loop?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

Just now, Spoiled_Kitten said:

just with a $200 watercooling loop?

well it's 4c/8t, a lot like an i7. Not unexpected to get that far.

Primary PC:

well it's 4c/8t, a lot like an i7. Not unexpected to get that far.

Do you know how i could go about that?

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!

17 minutes ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Do you know how i could go about that?

Since this is a locked processor, you'd have to use bclk overclocking. 

Primary PC:

10 hours ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Hi all,

Wont work well at all.

Even if the fridge could handle the heat load, it wouldnt handle it for very long, they are not designed with the intention of running the compressor all the time which is what would happen if u place a heat source inside it.

Next if it managed to chill the loop below ambient u would eventually have condensation issues to deal with, which u have made no mention of so ur system would be unprotected and short out.

Next , 6hz is not possible, 5ghz would be very extreme, u'd need subzero cooling for that with an unlocked CPU.

Since the CPU is locked ur going to be using the bclk, so chances are ull be aiming at 4ghz, which ull be able to do under air cooling or a basic ambient water loop.

So while the initial idea would surely be a fun project, its rather pointless im afraid .. sorry to disappoint.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

12 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Wont work well at all.

thanks for your help, i think i will go with just getting it to 4ghz maybe a little further if possible.

Blake has arrived!!

Love to help!