Pc running way below expectations

NickB278
Go to solution Solved by Sir0Tek,
46 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

that's exactly what im doing lol. should getting a new mobo and 2 sticks of 8 fix the problem?

You may check the influence of 128-bit on your config by just removing the existing 8gb one. Having 8gb only for this test should work, so you can see how much of an impact just this simple trick has on your cpu performance.

Memory speed itself is also somewhat important, the 9600K, albeit already upping the clock up to 4.6ghz on stock, does support ddr4 2666 and even profits from ddr4 3000. OC of the cpu itself may add 500mhz, about 10%. The question then is, does it make sense to spend money on a z-mainboard for another +-$100 or invest the same amount into upgrading the cpu into one already running at up to 4.9ghz?

Build

i5 9600k

2070s

msi b360 a pro

3 sticks of g.skill ram 2x4 and a 1x8 same speeds of 2400 and brand.

1tb hard drive.

750 watt power supply 

Temps are good when gaming

I just upgraded to the 2070s about 2 weeks ago and my frames have been way below then what other get with the same cpu and gpu. I play Fortnite on low settings and my gpu wont go above 40% load. And my cpu is at very high percentage when playing. I don't know what the cause of this is. I've tried everything people say like wiping my hard drive just in case of a virus in the back ground and changing all these settings but nothing works.

At this point I'm just thinking it a hardware bottleneck. could it be that I cant over clock my CPU or that I have 3 stick's of ram running on a dual channel.

pc specs.PNG

you didn't actually type what your results were , what fps are you getting

1 minute ago, NickB278 said:

my gpu wont go above 40% utilization

the utilization of the gpu has no bearing on the performance. it's a pointless number that only indicates the % of time the gpu is busy , not how much it's being used.

Sryy I meant load instead of utilization ill change that rn

Increase your graphics settings in your game. Also, you’re probably running your ram in single channel mode because of the weird configuration. 

Sorenson I play completive so I need the lowest graphics to get the most frames.

Fortnite on low is a joke to a 2070s. Your cpu is the bottleneck here, but that isn't really a problem because the framerate you are probably getting is off the charts. Don't just think CPU bottleneck = bad. I guarantee you if you turned everything up to ultra you would see 100% utilization of the GPU and <100% utilization of the CPU.

yes Ive tried that and ive seen my gpu go to 100% I just cant get high frames on low settings. ive watched vids of people getting  double my frames on the same settings and same cpu and gpu.

I wouldn't say my gpu is running below expectations but my cpu is 

2 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

I wouldn't say my gpu is running below expectations but my cpu is 

make sure you quote people so we can see your responses

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i like how they still havent actually said what the framerate is in hopes that we'll not ask again

7 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

Sorenson I play completive so I need the lowest graphics to get the most frames.

And then you're choking the cpu by using 4gb+8gb+4gb in 64bit access and no oc due to the mainboards inabilities?

Just now, emosun said:

i like how they still havent actually said what the framerate is in hopes that we'll not ask again

Getting around 120 when I should be getting 220

+

Just now, NickB278 said:

Getting around 120 when I should be getting 220

+

what makes you think you should be getting 220

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

And then you're choking the cpu by using 4gb+8gb+4gb in 64bit access and no oc due to the mainboards inabilities?

that's exactly what im doing lol. should getting a new mobo and 2 sticks of 8 fix the problem?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

what makes you think you should be getting 220

because every video I watch of the same cpu and gpu they are getting 220+ and my friends pc also has a 2070s and he gets way better frames as well 

1 minute ago, NickB278 said:

because every video I watch of the same cpu and gpu they are getting 220+ and my friends pc also has a 2070s and he gets way better frames as well 

what monitor are you using

your gpus aren't being used much so i'm not sure why you are fixated on them being the problem. you havent listed what any of the other component usages are.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

what monitor are you using

your gpus aren't being used much so i'm not sure why you are fixated on them being the problem. you havent listed what any of the other component usages are.

Using a 144hz monitor and my cpu sits around 80% to 90 when playing

2 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

ah , with 90% usage the cpu is too busy , thats pretty easy. 

set the res lower maybe that'll help but otherwise I wouldn't expect a cpu hitting 90% usage to perform well

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

ah , with 90% usage the cpu is too busy , thats pretty easy. 

set the res lower maybe that'll help but otherwise I wouldn't expect a cpu hitting 90% usage to perform well

it shouldn't be around 90% tho on a i5 9600k and I only have fortnite opened when paying and all background stuff turned off and cpu and gpu on high performance mode. the cpu should be around 75%. could this be bc of ram and all the other vids ive been comparing mine to are overclockeding the i5

11 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

all the other vids ive been comparing mine to are overclockeding the i5

use correct comparisons , they are overclocking and you aren't

Just now, emosun said:

use correct comparisons , they are overclocking and you aren't

would that lower the cpu load by that much tho? im running my cpu at 4.3 theres where at like 4.5 or 4.6

Just now, NickB278 said:

would that lower the cpu load by that much tho? im running my cpu at 4.3 theres where at like 4.5 or 4.6

probably not

course we have no idea what the actual configurations or dates are of the videos you're using as a benchmark so I really don't expect you'll have identicle performance nor have you check what their internet speed is or drive speeds

26 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

Just a wild guess here, is "VSync" on? That prevents the game from rendering more FPS than your monitor can display.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

probably not

course we have no idea what the actual configurations or dates are of the videos you're using as a benchmark so I really don't expect you'll have identicle performance nor have you check what their internet speed is or drive speeds

what does internet speed and drives have to do with frames.

Just now, LoganDark said:

Just a wild guess here, is "VSync" on? That prevents the game from rendering more FPS than your monitor can display.

its off