Pc running way below expectations

NickB278
Go to solution Solved by Sir0Tek,
46 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

that's exactly what im doing lol. should getting a new mobo and 2 sticks of 8 fix the problem?

You may check the influence of 128-bit on your config by just removing the existing 8gb one. Having 8gb only for this test should work, so you can see how much of an impact just this simple trick has on your cpu performance.

Memory speed itself is also somewhat important, the 9600K, albeit already upping the clock up to 4.6ghz on stock, does support ddr4 2666 and even profits from ddr4 3000. OC of the cpu itself may add 500mhz, about 10%. The question then is, does it make sense to spend money on a z-mainboard for another +-$100 or invest the same amount into upgrading the cpu into one already running at up to 4.9ghz?

Just now, NickB278 said:

its off 

Are any of its cousins, like GSync or FreeSync or etc. enabled?

Just now, LoganDark said:

Are any of its cousins, like GSync or FreeSync or etc. enabled?

ive tried with g sync on and off but I have never seen free sync before. and the g sync didn't change anything 

1 minute ago, NickB278 said:

ive tried with g sync on and off but I have never seen free sync before. and the g sync didn't change anything 

Turn it off, first of all. GSync is the same as VSync, just a proprietary version for Nvidia monitors. If you want 220 FPS when your monitor is only 144Hz, you definitely don't want those frames getting limited.

Second of all, have you compared your screen resolution to that video you're referring to? Maybe if your screen is bigger, your GPU has to work harder per frame. If your game is in fullscreen mode (which it has to be if you want to fully utilize your GPU), you could try turning down the resolution a bit.

46 minutes ago, NickB278 said:

that's exactly what im doing lol. should getting a new mobo and 2 sticks of 8 fix the problem?

You may check the influence of 128-bit on your config by just removing the existing 8gb one. Having 8gb only for this test should work, so you can see how much of an impact just this simple trick has on your cpu performance.

Memory speed itself is also somewhat important, the 9600K, albeit already upping the clock up to 4.6ghz on stock, does support ddr4 2666 and even profits from ddr4 3000. OC of the cpu itself may add 500mhz, about 10%. The question then is, does it make sense to spend money on a z-mainboard for another +-$100 or invest the same amount into upgrading the cpu into one already running at up to 4.9ghz?

36 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

cant upgrade mu cpu bc im on a budget here but I tested with 8gb of ram and there was no difference but what was weird is that nzxt cam which is a monitoring app said my ram speed was at 1064MHz but task manager said it was at 2133mhz

ram2.PNG

ram.PNG

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

I take that back after playing for a little longer my frames are almost up to 300 now. thx you dude! this fixed the problem but now im just getting some frame drop here and there for now reason but that most likely bc of the low amount of ram im using far a triple a game.just gonna upgrade ram and that should fix everything. Thx again man :)

4 hours ago, NickB278 said:

I take that back after playing for a little longer my frames are almost up to 300 now. thx you dude! this fixed the problem but now im just getting some frame drop here and there for now reason but that most likely bc of the low amount of ram im using far a triple a game.just gonna upgrade ram and that should fix everything. Thx again man :)

Your welcome. Yes, the then low amount of memory does have other impacts but since it was just a the testing purpose there's no need to worry about.

Using dual-channel almost doubles the bandwidth.

Your computer probably did use the xmp settings from the now missing 8gb stick and you may have to set the speed back to 2400. 

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Your welcome. Yes, the then low amount of memory does have other impacts but since it was just a the testing purpose there's no need to worry about.

Using dual-channel almost doubles the bandwidth.

Your computer probably did use the xmp settings from the now missing 8gb stick and you may have to set the speed back to 2400. 

Yes I made sure to go back in and turn on xmp. Now I’m just waiting for the new ram to come in :)