High GPU Clock and Temps at idle

Car712

Hey, so I seem to be having an issue lately where my GPU clock will not budge at idle and always stays at 1830mhz and ~50c, this does not seem right at all, I checked and nothing large was using the GPU at all (when I took this screenshot almost nothing was running), I set the GPU to optimal power in the NVIDIA panel, tried windows power plans, nothing. Whats the issue?

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi

CPU: R7 3700x

GPU: ASUS 1660 Super

Screenshot (1).png

What is your GPU load? It should be close to 0%, but it can't hurt to check.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What is your GPU load? It should be close to 0%, but it can't hurt to check.

Yeah, it stays at 0% at idle (I mean, at this point it wouldn't surprise me if its the motherboard, it LOVES to ignore user inputs for fan speeds)

1 minute ago, Car712 said:

Yeah, it stays at 0% at idle

Did you manually install the drivers? I would also just try doing a clean driver installation to see if the issue goes away. It's definitely stuck in a higher power mode. Have you also just tried rebooting the PC? I don't know what your habits are as far as shutting down the PC when you're done using it or if you leave it running.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Did you manually install the drivers? I would also just try doing a clean driver installation to see if the issue goes away. It's definitely stuck in a higher power mode. Have you also just tried rebooting the PC? I don't know what your habits are as far as shutting down the PC when you're done using it or if you leave it running.

Hmm, for the drivers I let Windows 10 install them automatically first, then after that I updated them from NVIDIA's website, and yeah, I have shut the PC down in the last hour to look at the BIOS.

I'll try DDU though. (Would you recommend using the Windows autoinstall drivers or the NVIDIA ones after though?)

Just now, Car712 said:

Hmm, for the drivers I let Windows 10 install them automatically first, then after that I updated them from NVIDIA's website, and yeah, I have shut the PC down in the last hour to look at the BIOS.

Try doing a straight clean driver installation(and specifically select that in the installer). It might be worth while to run Display Driver Uninstaller first, and then doing a fresh installation.

You can find DDU here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Try doing a straight clean driver installation(and specifically select that in the installer). It might be worth while to run Display Driver Uninstaller first, and then doing a fresh installation.

You can find DDU here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Welp I just did that, same thing, no idea whats going on hmmmm...

1 minute ago, Car712 said:

Welp I just did that, same thing, no idea whats going on hmmmm...

You have another build to put the card into?

12 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Not currently.

35 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Welp, i'm an idiot, I *assumed* that the manufacturer's software would actually *work*, I just opened GPU-Z and found some interesting numbers..

Going to uninstall that ASUS crap right now, god knows what else its doing to my GPU...

Screenshot (3).png

12 minutes ago, Car712 said:

Welp, i'm an idiot, I *assumed* that the manufacturer's software would actually *work*, I just opened GPU-Z and found some interesting numbers..

Going to uninstall that ASUS crap right now, god knows what else its doing to my GPU...

Ah, so the software was forcing the card into a constant higher power state. Depending on what the modes do, that might be intentional. 

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Ah, so the software was forcing the card into a constant higher power state. Depending on what the modes do, that might be intentional. 

Well, not necessarily, I ran both the ASUS software and GPU-Z at the same time, and GPU-Z seemed to be reporting the correct stuff (that screenshot), while the ASUS software just seemed to be mis-reporting the clock lol

Still uninstalled it though, probably better without it, even if it wasn't "causing" the "issue"