Struggling with PSU choice

boey
Go to solution Solved by Sir0Tek,

@boey

Cheapest option you have is to just use the Alienware psu. O.k., it is 2-3 years old and you don't see a branding/rating. That doesn't say it is bad. It is most likely an oem-psu and there must be some information on the sticker so you can determine what it really is.

Usually you can trust Dell to use hardware that lasts some time. They're not interested in getting much rma due to failing hardware.

So my friends and I have decided to build a PC with spare parts to host a minecraft server, problem is the PSU I have is pretty old(alienware aurora r7 psu). It's 460W and has no branding and efficiency rating, and is 2-3 years old.

I'd assume that it's not a good idea using this PSU for almost 24/7 operation. The PC consists of an i5-8400, MSI B360 GAMING ARCTIC, and 1x8GB 2666MHz RAM

What other PSU's are there to use? Cheapest options I have are:

Cooler Master Masterwatt 550W (think it's not the Lite version, so this should be Tier B)

Cooler Master MWE 450W (no idea which MWE this is, the shop's price list doesn't specify)

EVGA W2 500W

EVGA BV BRONZE 500W

FSP Hyper K 80 PLUS 500W

Here's a full list of available PSUs, I'm trying to keep the PSU around $60-70 SGD, but max I'll go is probably $100ish

psu1.PNG

psu2.PNG

Just now, boey said:

What other PSU's are there to use? Cheapest options I have are:

Cooler Master Masterwatt 550W (think it's not the Lite version, so this should be Tier B)

Cooler Master MWE 450W (no idea which MWE this is, the shop's price list doesn't specify)

EVGA W2 500W

EVGA BV BRONZE 500W

FSP Hyper K 80 PLUS 500W

From those options I would go with the Masterwatt, or as a second choice maybe the MWE 450W depending on which model it is.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

From those options I would go with the Masterwatt, or as a second choice maybe the MWE 450W depending on which model it is.

I've just edited my post with the full PSU list, any there I've missed that's good?(keep in mind the list is in SGD)

The Masterwatt 550 should be fine for near 24/7 usage? PC shouldn't pull too much power since it's only an i5-8400 running

2 minutes ago, boey said:

The Masterwatt 550 should be fine for near 24/7 usage? PC shouldn't pull too much power since it's only an i5-8400 running

Yeah. Without a dedicated graphics card the system is going to have fairly light power consumption.

The Cooler Master MWE at $54/$58 seems like a good price.
Doesn't say in the list but I suspect it's probably the cheaper 230V only version. Singapore is 230V mains so that isn't a problem but it is usually a sign of cheaper PSUs, and might be a problem in areas with unstable mains electricity supply like some developing countries where brown outs/voltage drops are more common.

The Masterwatt would be better but it's up to you whether you want to spend the extra money.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@boey

Cheapest option you have is to just use the Alienware psu. O.k., it is 2-3 years old and you don't see a branding/rating. That doesn't say it is bad. It is most likely an oem-psu and there must be some information on the sticker so you can determine what it really is.

Usually you can trust Dell to use hardware that lasts some time. They're not interested in getting much rma due to failing hardware.

46 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah. Without a dedicated graphics card the system is going to have fairly light power consumption.

The Cooler Master MWE at $54/$58 seems like a good price.
Doesn't say in the list but I suspect it's probably the cheaper 230V only version. Singapore is 230V mains so that isn't a problem but it is usually a sign of cheaper PSUs, and might be a problem in areas with unstable mains electricity supply like some developing countries where brown outs/voltage drops are more common.

The Masterwatt would be better but it's up to you whether you want to spend the extra money.

Alright, thanks

29 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

@boey

True, looks like I'll stick to the Alienware PSU for now.

I agree with @Sir0Tek here, the cheapest option would be just using Dell\Alienware OEM PSU, it's most likely group reg but it's not like you really need independent reg for iGPU build. Can you make a picture of it ? Even without disassembling it we could at least know what OEM it is by knowing UL code.

But another thing to consider is that it may be not compatible with your new motherboard, Dell OEM PSUs can have different main motherboard cable pinout.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

I agree with @Sir0Tek here, the cheapest option would be just using Dell\Alienware OEM PSU, it's most likely group reg but it's not like you really need independent reg for iGPU build. Can you make a picture of it ? Even without disassembling it we could at least know what OEM it is by knowing UL code.

But another thing to consider is that it may be not compatible with your new motherboard, Dell OEM PSUs can have different main motherboard cable pinout.

tried booting with 8400, b360 mobo and alienware psu, managed to post and get into the bios although i couldn't do much else as i'm also missing a cpu cooler

I'll update this thread with a picture asap

also, motherboard had bent pins, managed to bend them back with tiny flathead screwdrivers. shouldn't be an issue since i got to bios and all hardware was registered, right?