New PC build no post, VGA QLED

Mackwilson
Go to solution Solved by Mackwilson,
On 3/15/2020 at 9:58 PM, EndoliteMatrix said:

Did you also do a bios update? That usually expands compatibility

So BIOS was up to date. The problem was a dead CPU. As far as I could tell pins were all fine so not sure how it broke but luckily the amazon return policy is very forgiving. New CPU is in and the PC runs beautifully.
Thanks for all your help

ASUS Tuf Gaming x570 wifi
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Gaming 3x OC

Corsair 3200mhz 2x8gb

1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

NZXT h510

Windows 10 64 bit home

I just finished my new PC build yesterday, installed windows, and downloaded the GPU drivers as well as a MOBO update and then had to run to work. While I was out my brother used it a little bit, but not for much, twice while he was using it the display went black and he had to restart the PC to get it working again (best explanation I got from him). When I got home from work I booted it up into the BIOS and had it freeze on me in the BIOS. I waited about 2/3 mins and decided to restart it, it wouldn't post, showing the VGA qLED.

Ive done a fair bit of troubleshooting, resetting the CMOS a bunch of times, both by shorting and by removing the mobo battery. Ive managed to get it to post twice, once having the screen freeze in the bios and the second time booting it straight to windows ignoring the bios and having it just shut off on me. Ive removed and remounted all the components except for the CPU (mobo, GPU, nvme ssd, ram) without any luck at solving this problem. Ive tried using an old rx 580 gpu that I know still works, I've tried putting the GPU into a different PCIe lane, I've even tried running with no GPU using the motherboard's HDMI output (although I dont think my CPU actually supports this).

Any help/troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like you've put it through the paces. Best bet is to try hooking it up to another monitor (or TV) and see if you can at least get to the BIOS to do a BIOS update. Or, if it works off the bat on another monitor, you may have solved the problem there. 

You've covered a lot so if you've already tried this, I apologize, but take that heatsink off, make sure you got enough thermal paste on there, and put it back on tight to make sure the CPU isn't just insta-overheating.

Let me know how that goes.

Quote for a reply.

React if I: Answered your question, helped, or made you laugh!

1 minute ago, EndoliteMatrix said:

Sounds like you've put it through the paces. Best bet is to try hooking it up to another monitor (or TV) and see if you can at least get to the BIOS to do a BIOS update. Or, if it works off the bat on another monitor, you may have solved the problem there. 

You've covered a lot so if you've already tried this, I apologize, but take that heatsink off, make sure you got enough thermal paste on there, and put it back on tight to make sure the CPU isn't just insta-overheating.

Let me know how that goes.

Ill try a different monitor out and let you know how it goes. The wraith prism comes with thermal paste preapplied so I would think it'd be ok but I can check that as well. Dont personally have any paste on hand so I can't really reapply but I can see what it looks like

1 minute ago, Mackwilson said:

Ill try a different monitor out and let you know how it goes. The wraith prism comes with thermal paste preapplied so I would think it'd be ok but I can check that as well. Dont personally have any paste on hand so I can't really reapply but I can see what it looks like

Popular opinion is that pre-applied thermal-paste is stupid. However, with that said - I haven't personally had any problems. They do put the absolute minimum amount on to make-due. Hope it works out. Keep me posted.

Quote for a reply.

3 minutes ago, Mackwilson said:

The wraith prism comes with thermal paste preapplied so I would think it'd be ok but I can check that as well. Dont personally have any paste on hand so I can't really reapply but I can see what it looks like

i've had the problem of the cpu insta overheat because of preapplied thermal paste before... it can happen if you smudged it even by a nano-meter during installation. if you don't have any on hand just google your local computer store and buy some of from them if you don't wanna order it thru amazon

if you take the heatsink off at all you'll have to re-apply the thermal paste either way

Idk if you can see the photo but the thermal paste situation was BAD. Any suggestions on a good paste to order/tips for cleaning the old paste off?

3 minutes ago, Mackwilson said:

Idk if you can see the photo but the thermal paste situation was BAD. Any suggestions on a good paste to order/tips for cleaning the old paste off?

you can clean it with paper towel and isopropyl alcohol. as for what thermal paste, it doesn't really matter any will do.

31 minutes ago, Mackwilson said:

installed windows, and downloaded the GPU drivers as well as a MOBO update

Never, but never update the Bios if everything run just fine!!!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Rubbing Alcohol and a paper towel will take it RIGHT off. Anything silver is good. I personally like Noctua's thermal paste. You can get a tube at Best Buy, but get the Corsair variant NOT the bargain basement ones.

Quote for a reply.

Hoping that the thermal paste was the problem, Ive ordered some Arctic MX-4-4g off amazon since my town doesn't really have a PC parts store. Would it make sense that the MOBO was showing the VGA light even if the cpu overheating was the problem? Also was able to run it for a little while the first few times I booted it

On 3/7/2020 at 11:22 PM, Mackwilson said:

Hoping that the thermal paste was the problem, Ive ordered some Arctic MX-4-4g off amazon since my town doesn't really have a PC parts store. Would it make sense that the MOBO was showing the VGA light even if the cpu overheating was the problem? Also was able to run it for a little while the first few times I booted it

Just popping back in to see if you were able to figure this out?

Quote for a reply.

On 3/12/2020 at 5:45 PM, EndoliteMatrix said:

Just popping back in to see if you were able to figure this out?

No luck still unfortunately. I cleaned the CPU off, remounted, repasted. I've tried a brand new motherboard (same model) and still the same problem. I'm currently using the Ram and the 2070 super GPU in my old system so they both do still work. It has to either be a compatibility problem (which shouldn't be the case as everything seems to be compatible) or a dead CPU. Thinking of returning the CPU

On 3/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, Mackwilson said:

No luck still unfortunately. I cleaned the CPU off, remounted, repasted. I've tried a brand new motherboard (same model) and still the same problem. I'm currently using the Ram and the 2070 super GPU in my old system so they both do still work. It has to either be a compatibility problem (which shouldn't be the case as everything seems to be compatible) or a dead CPU. Thinking of returning the CPU

Quote for a reply.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:58 PM, EndoliteMatrix said:

So BIOS was up to date. The problem was a dead CPU. As far as I could tell pins were all fine so not sure how it broke but luckily the amazon return policy is very forgiving. New CPU is in and the PC runs beautifully.
Thanks for all your help

On 3/18/2020 at 12:05 PM, Mackwilson said:

Thanks for all your help

Wow! In all my years of working with computers I have only had ONE CPU die. You would almost never think to check. Glad you got it worked out man. Sorry I couldn't help!

Quote for a reply.

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, Mackwilson said:

Thanks for all your help

I am glad this worked for you. I am having the same problem as you are, but unfortunately, I installed a new CPU, and just like the first one, it posted for about a minute, then the screen went black, and the VGA QLED lit back up.

I am really at a loss here. I installed a new MOBO today and had the same issue... Installed my old (RX580) GPU, same issue. Installed my current (working) PSU, same issue. 

I am wondering if something with my old MOBO fried both of the CPUs...? I am hesitant to buy a 3rd Ryzen 5-3600 and have the same thing happen, but that's honestly my next move.

I have also tried using two different monitors, both with HDMI and Display Port.

Here's the list of the components...

Mobo: Have tried ROG Strix-B550F and TUF 570-Plus. The B550-F is currently installed

CPU: Ryzen 5-3600 w/ Stock cooler (have two of these- same issue with both)

GPU: RTX 2060 (Have tried my RX580 as well)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED (2x16GB - 3000mhz)

SSD: Samsung Evo 860-1TB

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700W (have tried confirmed working Corsair RM850 as well- this is currently installed as I know it works)