Home server project: 8 core Dell PowerEdge 710

I decided to move forward with LGA 1366 regarding CPU choice for my next project. I just pulled the trigger on a Dell PowerEdge 710 Server to tinker with. I have high hopes for this and it will essentially be an ongoing project to optimize not only the hardware itself but my home network as well. It will also be provisioned as a network storage device, as my current 500GB NAS is at the limit. Main point here is to have fun with it.

Specs include:
-112GB Memory 1333MHz Dual Ranked DDR3 for two processors, Optimized
-Dual Intel XEON X5560 CPUs @ 2.8GHz (base) and (3.2GHz boost)
-Intel PRO 1000VT Quad Port 1GbE NIC, PCIe-4
-Embedded Broadcom, GB Ethernet NICS with TOE
-PERC 6/i SAS RAID Controller 2x4 Connectors, Internal, PCIe 256MB Cache, x8 Chassis
-RAID 1 for H700, PERC 6/i, H20 0 or SAS 6/iR Controllers
-(Two) High Output Power Supply Redundant, 870W
-Riser with 2 PCIe x8 + 2 PCIe x4 Slot
-DVD drive, chassis for Up to Eight 2.5-Inch Hard Drives

Project Notes and CPU Upgrades:
There are two motherboards versions. Gen I and Gen II (pretty sure I got gen II but wont know for certain till it arrives) But the point is, gen 1 only supports 95W CPUs. Gen II supports up to 130W CPUs.
If Gen 1, I will pull the trigger on two 95W Xeon X5675's that have a base clock of 3.067GHz and a boost clock of 3.467 MHz. These are hexacore chips, and when combined will bring my total processing power up to 12 cores. I figure the 12 cores should be okay for the next ~ 6 months in the gaming scene. Word on the street is by 2021 all games will require a minimum of 48 cores just to get to the main menu.

If Gen 2, I will likely pull the trigger on two of the 130W X5690 Xeon chips. Now these are HOT processors that boost up to 3.73GHz, so I am not sure what to do about cooling. The mounting and heat sink design is all proprietary and custom, from what I have gathered. It sounds like a better choice would be to stick with the 95W CPU regardless of what version MB I get. Although, I was thinking custom water cooling would be pretty neat in something like this. Obviously that would be a challenging project but it's feasible and possible given time and consideration. There is a better dell heatsink for the R710 that's high density finned and copper, but they are pretty rare.

Storage Solutions and operating system(s)
-Enterprise level SDD drives will be purchased for lighting fast I/0 and file transfers
-Initially, I will start with one SSD and Windows 10 to get a feel for the system and then possibly move to Server 2016
-Still trying to work out what I want in terms of storage here. I think it will be all SSD as well, in RAID 1
-It would be really cool if I could RAID 0 two SSD's for optimal performance (first thing I will look into)
-I've heard that there is a turbo hack for some of the XEON CPUs from this era, but I'm not sure if these specific processors fall into that category.
-Basically, I'm going to have some fun. There is no pressure here. Just want to build this out to be high performance home server that will eventually double as a NAS device on my network.
-I am well aware LGA 1366 is dated and I am fine with that, please don't try to compare this project to current server technology, that's not the point. When I talk about performance I talk about the best performance relative to LGA 1366.
-Open to advice and opinion on what else I should do with this and/or what else I should upgrade on it to further refine this build.
-Open to other project idea's and backup solutions
-Open to SSD recommendations and CPU considerations. 

-Open to GPU considerations and recommendations as well

1583623126747.png

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

7 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Now these are HOT processors that boost up to 3.73GHz, so I am not sure what to do about cooling. The mounting and heat sink design is all proprietary and custom, from what I have gathered.

Stock cooling is fine, those fans move a lot of air.

7 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

-Initially, I will start with one SSD and Windows 10 to get a feel for the system and then possibly move to Server 2016

might as well run server 2019. Its basically the same as windows 10 aswell, with a few extra goodies.

Or just run a hypervisor and run everything in its own vm.

9 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

-It would be really cool if I could RAID 0 two SSD's for optimal performance (first thing I will look into)

Get a h700/h310/h200 first, the 6/i is a slow card. also 2tiB limit on that card.

8 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Open to GPU considerations and recommendations as well

These aren't good gpu servers, should get the r720 or the precision rack if you want gpus.

If you can return it and get a r720 I would, there much better, and don't cost much more now.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Stock cooling is fine, those fans move a lot of air.

might as well run server 2019. Its basically the same as windows 10 aswell, with a few extra goodies.

Or just run a hypervisor and run everything in its own vm.

Get a h700/h310/h200 first, the 6/i is a slow card. also 2tiB limit on that card.

These aren't good gpu servers, should get the r720 or the precision rack if you want gpus.

If you can return it and get a r720 I would, there much better, and don't cost much more now.

Thanks for the advice. But I specifically chose the 710 over 730 due to cost considerations. And I got a killer deal on this so low you wouldn't believe. 

33 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I should have been more specific, this project does not call for super high top end GPUs. We are more looking for a video card with DVI inputs or something. That can perform light gaming, although Im guessing that wont happen very often. Not an all out hardcore GPU, just one that suites my needs. 

What's the best video card I could theoretically use in this server? 

Just now, Storm-Chaser said:

I should have been more specific, this project does not call for super high top end GPUs. We are more looking for a video card with DVI inputs or something. That can perform light gaming, although Im guessing that wont happen very often. Not an all out hardcore GPU, just one that suites my needs. 

What's the best video card I could theoretically use in this server? 

gt 710 1x is the best that is plug and plug. Otherwise cut a slot to a x16 and put in a 1650

Exaclty what I needed to hear. Why no full pcie slot?

thanks again

51 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The initial research and subsequent discussion boiled me down to 1366. Seems like enthusiasts have a lot of fun with this particular platform. I obviously wont be overclocking anything, but I would like to look into that turbo hack. I totally understand the newer parts are faster but that's not what we are after her. No, it's more about the  journey than it is anything else.  

1 hour ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Exaclty what I needed to hear. Why no full pcie slot?

thanks again

they never made that slot in that server. GPUs for servers won't common then, and most server cardsa like nics and hba are x8

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

gt 710 1x is the best that is plug and plug. Otherwise cut a slot to a x16 and put in a 1650

So when you say cut a slot, are you referring to the case needing modification in order to accept the full x16 card? 

If it's feasible that's what I will do for a little better performance. 

I am holding off on buying any mods until the server arrives. I need to check motherboard revision and get a general sense of what I might need. 

Are you saying that it should have no problem cooling the 130W X5690? 

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What's the best card out of that lot? Something like this? 

Dell PERC H200

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im definitely sticking with the R710, however, can you explain this in a little more detail? Is it the performance difference between the two? Or just the 720 is geared more towards being a potential GPU server?

2 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

So when you say cut a slot, are you referring to the case needing modification in order to accept the full x16 card? 

If it's feasible that's what I will do for a little better performance. 

I am holding off on buying any mods until the server arrives. I need to check motherboard revision and get a general sense of what I might need. 

Are you saying that it should have no problem cooling the 130W X5690? 

cut the end of a pcie x8 so a x16 card fits. Wont make it faster, just makes it fit.

You won't have a problem cooling that chip

2 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

What's the best card out of that lot? Something like this? 

Dell PERC H200

Hardware or software raid? Get teh h200 for software, h700 for hardware.

1 hour ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Im definitely sticking with the R710, however, can you explain this in a little more detail? Is it the performance difference between the two? Or just the 720 is geared more towards being a potential GPU server?

Really, the r720 is about the same price and much better. Lower power, more ram capacity and speed, double the cores, and higher clock speed. And faster io.

the r720 is a much better server if you can get it.

r720 is just the newer gen, so dual 2011. A much better buy now. 1366 is getting pretty old and showing its age.

Quick update: 

I ordered the low profile GT710

And I just remembered I have 4 enterprise level SSD, I imagine this is exactly what I want? (one went to another home)

Name:  DSC03368.JPG Views: 195 Size:  1.41 MB

3 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Quick update: 

I ordered the low profile GT710

And I just remembered I have 4 enterprise level SSD, I imagine this is exactly what I want? (one went to another home)

Name:  DSC03368.JPG Views: 195 Size:  1.41 MB

80gb drives are getting a bit small, but depends on what your doing. There pretty good, but mostly for reads.

Also the gt 710 is a slow card, just saying, like half the speed of intel hd graphics.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

80gb drives are getting a bit small, but depends on what your doing. There pretty good, but mostly for reads.

As test pieces, I might just use them to get started at least. 

As for the specific raid controller, forgive the confusion I just want to be sure and confident before I buy hardware. 

Since this has bounced around a few times I just want confirmation:

a) What is the BEST hardware raid controller that will work (plug and play) with the R710, that will support my SSD drives?

1 minute ago, Storm-Chaser said:

As test pieces, I might just use them to get started at least. 

As for the specific raid controller, forgive the confusion I just want to be sure and confident before I buy hardware. 

Since this has bounced around a few times I just want confirmation:

a) What is the BEST hardware raid controller that will work (plug and play) with the R710, that will support my SSD drives?

h700 is what you want for hardware raid.

If you have a 6/i you need different cables aswell for it.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

h700 is what you want for hardware raid.

If you have a 6/i you need different cables aswell for it.

Got it. So I just need the cable ONLY and will not have to replace the entire backplane?

I imagine ebay is a good place to find the cable? Do you know if there is a specific part # for the cable.. i.e. search terms.

22 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Got it. So I just need the cable ONLY and will not have to replace the entire backplane?

I imagine ebay is a good place to find the cable? Do you know if there is a specific part # for the cable.. i.e. search terms.

yea ebay is the best place for parts.

Im pretty sure its a sff 8087 to sff8087 cable, forget the exact length. You need 2. Perc 6/i and h700 have different sas connectors on them.

You can keep the backplane

49 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yea ebay is the best place for parts.

Im pretty sure its a sff 8087 to sff8087 cable, forget the exact length. You need 2. Perc 6/i and h700 have different sas connectors on them.

You can keep the backplane

Something like this? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-DELL-SAS-SFF-8484-TO-MINI-SAS-SFF-8087-CABLE-FOR-DELL-POWEREDGE-R710-T71/163605909292?hash=item2617ac0f2c:g:RkkAAOSwwlZare6b

As per others throw in a h700 (1Gb version if you can snag a deal).  You’ll have to replace the backplane cables too as above.

the PERC 6 is slow af. i did the same upgrade in my $50 r610 if you have any q’s on the process.  One caveat is that you won’t see raid status in idrac unless you reboot the idrac when the system is already up.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 3/7/2020 at 7:36 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

On 3/7/2020 at 7:36 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

So astonishingly, I was able to return it.... There was a slight delay in shipping the server, so that gave me the opportunity to discuss a return with the seller. He went for it, and refunded me the entire amount. Needless to say, I am excited about the 720 server and I'm currently monitoring eBay. Is there another server you can recommend that is superior even to the 720? 

That being said, what criterium should I be looking for in terms of desirability? 

5 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

So astonishingly, I was able to return it.... There was a slight delay in shipping the server, so that gave me the opportunity to discuss a return with the seller. He went for it, and refunded me the entire amount. Needless to say, I am excited about the 720 server and I'm currently monitoring eBay. Is there another server you can recommend that is superior even to the 720? 

That being said, what criterium should I be looking for in terms of desirability? 

do you have a budget in mind?

What exactly are you using the server for again?

Your main options are a custom ryzen or simmilar or r720 for a moderatly priced server.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you have a budget in mind?

What exactly are you using the server for again?

Your main options are a custom ryzen or simmilar or r720 for a moderatly priced server.

I was just looking at some of the T620s and other dell "tower" servers, they seem more suitable for home use. Can you recommend any of the tower servers? 

I'm also eyeing a 32 core R910 for $400. 

Main job of the server is benchmarking, at least that's my plan. So quad xeons, as in above, look pretty desirable, no? Secondary role is going to be a backup server or NAS.

I can spend up to $1500 at the max. Ideally, $600-$800