Home server project: 8 core Dell PowerEdge 710

33 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

I was just looking at some of the T620s and other dell "tower" servers, they seem more suitable for home use. Can you recommend any of the tower servers? 

I'm also eyeing a 32 core R910 for $400. 

Main job of the server is benchmarking, at least that's my plan. So quad xeons, as in above, look pretty desirable, no? Secondary role is going to be a backup server or NAS.

I can spend up to $1500 at the max. Ideally, $600-$800

Don't get a r910, still slower than a r720, and extremly power hungry.

What are you benchmarking? Lots of programs don't like a ton of cores and sockets.

Yea t620 was one of the better dual socket 2011 systems of that generation. Also look at workstations like the dell precision t7600, or t7910 if you can find it cheap.

17 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

And se

And how about the T0410? 

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you benchmarking? Lots of programs don't like a ton of cores and sockets.

Yea t620 was one of the better dual socket 2011 systems of that generation. Also look at workstations like the dell precision t7600, or t7910 if you can find it cheap.

How about the M630? or the 

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So I've got my mind made up that I will proceed with a tower server. That leaves me with the T620 and the T630, right? 

It's confusing because you look at the dell documentation and they clearly state up to 8 cores per processor. 

Then they go on to list 10 and 12 core CPUs as supported as well. Can you clarify this for me? 

I want to use the best processor, rather two of the best processors supported, for this build. 

image.png.44cf95cd0adbfe685a6a6320129c2b78.png

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

So it appears the T630 supports Intel Xeon E5-2600 v4 processors. 

Does that mean I can buy one of the higher end 18 Core CPUs for this? 

Basically, whats the best processor I can put in the T630?

Would an Intel Xeon E5-4669-V3 work with a T630? Not part of the 2600 series but same socket, right?

I want maximum performance with zero compromise. 

So my choices have been narrowed down to a T620 OR a T630.

Only caveat that I don't like is the fact that the T620 appears to have a limitation of 8 cores per CPU, can you confirm this for me? Because I want to put some of the higher end 14 or 16 core chip in there if possible.  

So Im definitely going with a T620. 

Can you help me pick out the best CPU that I can use for it? 

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, I just want all my ducks in a row....

19 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im also liking the price and the look of the Dell Precision T7600. Since it is dual CPU capable and most likely more fitted for my uses, I am seriously considering it. Can you tell me more about this and what I should look for in T7600 in terms of the build components and what are the best CPUSs for it? Absolute best!

What do you think of the HP Z 820?

3 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Im also liking the price and the look of the Dell Precision T7600. Since it is dual CPU capable and most likely more fitted for my uses, I am seriously considering it. Can you tell me more about this and what I should look for in T7600 in terms of the build components and what are the best CPUSs for it? Absolute best!

Its anouther dual  2011 system, will preform about the same as others. Cause its a workstation you need a gpu, unlike for the servers.

For cpu, what programs are you running. Best cpu depends on how many cores you can use, as many programs want the higher clock speed of the high end 8 and 10 cores aover the extra cores of the 12 core chips

2 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

What do you think of the HP Z 820?

about teh same as the dell t7600, get whatever is cheaper of the two.

I just pulled the trigger. I got an HP z820 for $300... now I just need to look into processor selection... 

I'm leaning towards the Xeon E5-2673 v2 (8C/16T) or the Xeon E5-2680 v2 (10C/20T)

The first being a 110W CPU and the ladder being a 115W CPU.

Apparently, this computer comes stock with a liquid cooling solution. I just don't know if there will be provisions for a second CPU actually installed in the case... i.e. I may need to buy a second CPU cooler... We shall see. 

I think I will go with the 8C because it runs stock at 3.3GHz and turbos to 4.0, whereas the 10 core CPU runs stock at 2.8 and turbos to 3.6 GHz)