Web Hosting Server

I have an old i5 5th gen machine with 8 Gb of ram, I am thinking to make it as a web hosting server. I am really new to all this any help?

What OS do you have running on the machine?
Setting up a web server is actually remarkably easy, just install Apache or Tomcat or whatever flavour you prefer aaaaaaaaaaaand you're done.

I can recommend Apache on Ubuntu, it's what got me started with web hosting and website "development"

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

You can also use Windows... You can get apache from apachelounge dot com and php from php.net and you're done.

Set up apache as a service, and configure port forwarding on your router/modem to forward port 80 and/or 443 (https) to your computer's IP.

Just google for tutorials

For email you could use hMailServer on Windows but if you have residential IPs (not business class), your mails will be rejected by most mail servers out there (auto considered spam)... there's services which allow you to send email but most will require to pay a fee after some amount of free monthly emails  (such services are good to use for occasional emails like when a user signs up to a forum you host or something like that, if you can't configure the forum to never require emails )

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 6:56 AM, bak3d said:

I have an old i5 5th gen machine with 8 Gb of ram, I am thinking to make it as a web hosting server. I am really new to all this any help?

Make sure you are not on a residential connection, many ISP's block hosting websites from residential connections. 

Oh dear gawd... for the love of all that smells purple... I am amazed at how 'missing the middle' these answers are. Its super easy... It's super hard. Just install some software and you are a hoster!

Let me give a slightly more educated (and appropriate) answer. Your machine will work fine for a webhost box. Takes very little to do so actually for the box itself. YES... you can install some flavor of Apache or Tomcat and create your server box. But all the shit that belongs in the middle has been avoided in the answers so far. You can use residential internet to host your own websites. I host my own websites... plural... and I do it on slow as snailsnot bonded DSL. The mail thing is harder due to kickback of residential IP ranges. You SHOULD NOT just spool up a box and toss websites on it without adding in some sort of firewall like PfSense, because I guarantee your router/modem is not appropriate for a barrier between the web and your server. It is also far easier to get a domain pointed to your box and ported inside your network if you have a pfsense firewall. Also, what are you going to do for website? Gonna do your own builds, Install Word Press, some other software? Making a box do Apache is as simple as a couple command lines in a Linux Mint install. But there is LOTS more stuff to do to get that thing on the net... SECURELY.

There are lots of guides out there on every element of doing what you want to do. And these kinds of answers are definitely not it