GPU Compatibility

Trapswire
Go to solution Solved by papajo,
1 hour ago, Trapswire said:

I see. Regarding the bottleneck thing I am actually worried about that. Regarding bottleneck if it's only a little and if I will only feel the bottleneck if I want to go faster then I'm ok with that since I am only looking for a replacement for my dead GTX 750 ti. But what if I only want to play the game I used to play and I'm not hoping for a faster performance. If I use a GTX 1060 6GB will my games suffer from the bottleneck without changing the settings? or anything else? I mean I just wanna play the games I play like I used to be with the GTX 750 ti there was no issues or any fps drops it was smooth gaming. Like for example the game I play now with the gtx 750 ti I get 60 FPS in low setting and when I change to the 1060 6gb I will still play the same game in the same setting, will the result be the same? or weaker? or better?

Excuse the long text, I'm just trying to word my thoughts as much as I can.

Bottleneck is something that has to do with raw performance not specific models etc.

e.g If your CPU can handle to transfer 7GB per second to your card (that's not exactly how it works since many other steps are involved but will suffice as a reference example) then that's it if your card needs more data to be fed to it per second then it will under perform if not it wont. 

Or in other words if by using your slower card you had 60FPS on an X game with Y settings then this means that your processor is atleast capable of "handling" 60FPS given the GPU has the horsepower to do that. 

If you add a faster card that only means that you atleast will have 60 FPS on same game X with Y settings...

Or in otherwords a better card even if bottlenecked wont perform worse than what you could achieve on the same system(CPU/ram/mobo) but with a slower card. 

Bottleneck just means that your card might be able to play this X game at Y settings @ 120 FPS.. but your CPU might not be able to handle that and instead your performance would be e.g 70 FPS.. but certainly not less than your original performance with your older card. 

In other words what you currently can do with your GTX 750 ti in terms of FPS serves as a benchmark that proves that your CPU is atleast capable of handling that framerate on those games at said settings. 

Adding a faster card no matter how faster or newer (as long as its compatible with your mobo and OS) will lead to at least the same performance (you might not see better performance due to bottleneck though) 

But in your specific case I am sure that you will witness a performance increase and that your bottleneck is gonna be close to 0 if not 0. 

Hello,

I am going to upgrade to a new GPU since my current GPU GTX 750 TI has died. I don't have a any issues with my pc's performance with the things I use it with. Since I am going to buy a new GPU I just want to confirm if the GPU I am about to buy will be compatible with my pc and won't have any performance or compatibility issues. The GPU I might buy is the Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB JetStream

My Specs:

MOBO : MSI Z97M Gaming

CPU : i5-4690 3.5Ghz

RAM : 1x8GB DDR3 1333Mhz

HDD : 1TB

SSD : 120GB

PSU : Seasonic 750w

Case BitFenix Aegis

Will my pc be able to handle the GPU and will it fit in my case?

that is an aging system.. but it should support pcie 2.0 and your cpu should have 16 pcie lanes,  you could buy any new gfx card, but you could have problems maxing the cards capabilities. 

Just now, Robchil said:

that is an aging system.. but it should support pcie 2.0 and your cpu should have 16 pcie lanes,  you could buy any new gfx card, but you could have problems maxing the cards capabilities. 

I don't know a single Z97 motherboard that doesn't support PCIe 3.0.

5 minutes ago, Trapswire said:

The GPU I might buy is the Palit GeForce GTX 1060 6GB JetStream

Any particular reason for this specific graphics card?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

My bad, most important is any new should work.. altho slow cpu and memory could slow down the experience :)

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Any particular reason for this specific graphics card?

Found a good price and saw some post that says that gpu and cpu would be compatible. I just want to confirm since every system is different or slightly different IMO and the things you would do with it.

3 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

4690 or 4690k? if you can overclock you can easily get away with something up to a 1070Ti in there. source: i had a 4690k overclocked and i got away with a 1070Ti in there.

the 1060 6GB is a good choice of card - if you were happy with your 750Ti (god rest it's blessed soul i love that gpu more than my partner) then the 1060 6GB is going to blow you away

non K version so can't overclock. I see so I won't have an issue with the said GPU im just worried it won't fit in the case though. Yes the 750 TI served me very well for 5 years and did not give me any problems. I wouldn't change the GPU if it didn't stop working.

3 minutes ago, Trapswire said:

Found a good price and saw some post that says that gpu and cpu would be compatible. I just want to confirm since every system is different or slightly different IMO and the things you would do with it.

It'll work 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I guess I'll just figure out if it will fit in the case or not. Thank you for your replies and time guys.

22 hours ago, Trapswire said:

a Graphics card compatibility has only to do with your motherboard slot.

If your motherboard has a slot that can facilitate the card then its compatible (yours has atleast one  PCIe 3.0 so its compatible since you need atleast a PCIe 2.0) 

The other issue though is bottleneck, bottleneck is not a compatibility issue but it means that your card will underperform because the rest of the system can not push it to its limits.

That mostly has to do with the CPU you gonna pair that graphics card with. 

Your CPU although dated is an "ok" one and it will drive the GTX 1060 well without any huge bottleneck but if you want to go to anything faster than that then you might need to think to upgrade your CPU as well. 

25 minutes ago, papajo said:

a Graphics card compatibility has only to do with your motherboard slot.

If your motherboard has a slot that can facilitate the card then its compatible (yours has atleast one  PCIe 3.0 so its compatible since you need atleast a PCIe 2.0) 

The other issue though is bottleneck, bottleneck is not a compatibility issue but it means that your card will underperform because the rest of the system can not push it to its limits.

That mostly has to do with the CPU you gonna pair that graphics card with. 

Your CPU although dated is an "ok" one and it will drive the GTX 1060 well without any huge bottleneck but if you want to go to anything faster than that then you might need to think to upgrade your CPU as well. 

I see. Regarding the bottleneck thing I am actually worried about that. Regarding bottleneck if it's only a little and if I will only feel the bottleneck if I want to go faster then I'm ok with that since I am only looking for a replacement for my dead GTX 750 ti. But what if I only want to play the game I used to play and I'm not hoping for a faster performance. If I use a GTX 1060 6GB will my games suffer from the bottleneck without changing the settings? or anything else? I mean I just wanna play the games I play like I used to be with the GTX 750 ti there was no issues or any fps drops it was smooth gaming. Like for example the game I play now with the gtx 750 ti I get 60 FPS in low setting and when I change to the 1060 6gb I will still play the same game in the same setting, will the result be the same? or weaker? or better?

1 hour ago, Trapswire said:

Bottleneck is something that has to do with raw performance not specific models etc.

e.g If your CPU can handle to transfer 7GB per second to your card (that's not exactly how it works since many other steps are involved but will suffice as a reference example) then that's it if your card needs more data to be fed to it per second then it will under perform if not it wont. 

Or in other words if by using your slower card you had 60FPS on an X game with Y settings then this means that your processor is atleast capable of "handling" 60FPS given the GPU has the horsepower to do that. 

If you add a faster card that only means that you atleast will have 60 FPS on same game X with Y settings...

Or in otherwords a better card even if bottlenecked wont perform worse than what you could achieve on the same system(CPU/ram/mobo) but with a slower card. 

Bottleneck just means that your card might be able to play this X game at Y settings @ 120 FPS.. but your CPU might not be able to handle that and instead your performance would be e.g 70 FPS.. but certainly not less than your original performance with your older card. 

In other words what you currently can do with your GTX 750 ti in terms of FPS serves as a benchmark that proves that your CPU is atleast capable of handling that framerate on those games at said settings. 

Adding a faster card no matter how faster or newer (as long as its compatible with your mobo and OS) will lead to at least the same performance (you might not see better performance due to bottleneck though) 

But in your specific case I am sure that you will witness a performance increase and that your bottleneck is gonna be close to 0 if not 0. 

@papajo Thank you very much. You have informed me very well and helped me have a better understanding of my situation and worries. Now I will have no worries and will get the GTX 1060 6GB.

I will mark this now as solved and for the last time thank you to everyone who replied to this topic of mine. I appreciate you all, Thank you.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:45 PM, yaboistar said:

4690 or 4690k? if you can overclock you can easily get away with something up to a 1070Ti in there. source: i had a 4690k overclocked and i got away with a 1070Ti in there.

the 1060 6GB is a good choice of card - if you were happy with your 750Ti (god rest it's blessed soul i love that gpu more than my partner) then the 1060 6GB is going to blow you away

tell me about it i had the plain 750 and i can say with push back on graphick it could handle rise of the tomb raider preaty well the 2 gb eddition well from asus with a bit of oc could provide me steady 30 fps for 2-3 hours oh god i still have it with my 1060 to handle the physix

Just now, yaboistar said:

physX cards are pretty much pointless and have always been so

the x50/50Ti lines are some great little things tbh, always have been. especially for the lack of need for external power on most of them and the availability of low profile variants.

to be fair im in love with her cuse i i achieved the 1070 speeds without actoually have the vram performed well in hardcore situations and even though she was 24/7 athe nvidias 125% TDP (samsung vrams) still after those years on the bench is like i bought it yesterday but every 5 months i was cleaning replase thermal paste