R9 290 vs 780 (solved)

Missioncode

Is total war even a relevant game anymore? And im pretty sure Metro was an AMD optimized game.

That's why it's an TWIMTBP game and uses PhysX?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

That's why it's an TWIMTBP game and uses PhysX?

Im not sure but I think we might be arguing with fanboy.

I not for one side or the other. price/performance + w/e bonus they have. 

Im not sure but I think we might be arguing with fanboy.

I not for one side or the other. price/performance + w/e bonus they have. 

O.o arguing with a fanboy that has owned more Nvidia products than AMD ones?

I'm just saying the 290 is better than the 780 in this scenario, at 1080p I'd scream 780 till I was blue in the face but the 290 is simply better at higher resolutions.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

O.o arguing with a fanboy that has owned more Nvidia products than AMD ones?

Wasn't call you a fanboy. was calling tryphaa one. "Is that game even relevant?" Had linked a BF3 benchmark. 

Are you missing the "press" and "retail" results?

Stock reference 290 as fast, slightly faster, though not as cool, uses more power.

OC reference 780 no question.

Stock Aftermarket 780 GHz is faster than Tri-X.

OC Aftermarket most 780s will beat most 290s, some 290s will beat most 780s, some 780s will beat all 290s. Its a lottery, but odds favor the 780.

Wasn't call you a fanboy. was calling tryphaa one. "Is that game even relevant?" Had linked a BF3 benchmark. 

I think it's funny you call me a fanboy, and dont even @ so i couldnt see it. I believe the 780 is better than the 290. And no, you didnt, when I called a game not relevant I was talking about total war.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I think it's funny you call me a fanboy, and dont even @ so i couldnt see it. I believe the 780 is better than the 290. And no, you didnt, when I called a game not relevant I was talking about total war.

yes but BF3 is not relevant 

Are you missing the "press" and "retail" results?

Stock reference 290 as fast, slightly faster, though not as cool, uses more power.

OC reference 780 no question.

Stock Aftermarket 780 GHz is faster than Tri-X.

OC Aftermarket most 780s will beat most 290s, some 290s will beat most 780s, some 780s will beat all 290s. Its a lottery, but odds favor the 780.

The differentiation between retail and press sample 290s and 290Xs are non-existent as of the recent drivers so that's irrelevant now.

I agree with you, the 780 may be better than the 290... Just not at 1440p+

yes but BF3 is not relevant 

I admit now looking back I did link a BF3 benchmark, but if you look at the anandtech site, the BF4 benchmarks are right underneath so I grabbed the one that said 1440p.

Here. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/20/gigabyte_gtx_780_ghz_edition_video_card_review/4

Not only is it faster in that, but every other game they tested.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Ok i'm sick of people asking Green Team VS. Red Team, because all it does is attracts fanboys from both teams and before you know it everone is fighting with each other and no one cares what the topic was.

No card is better then another, it comes down to what you want, what both the teams have to offer, just go for the one that you think is better for you. Do you believe in mantle or G-sync. I dont think Cuda and opencl are the deciding factors now, but then again, it's about what you want.

Both Amd and nvidia has good and bads. And no they are not equally matched for the price. Currently Amd is very expensive because of mining. Making a 770 a better value then a r9 280x. Both sides have there certain features like mantle and go sync and so on. It depends on you intentions for the present and future. This isn't about fan boy wars. And both sides should be allowed to give their side. In this community people are usually nice and respectful. There is nothing wrong about debating about which is better. It makes for conversation. I personally and neutral but in certain situations I have a bias towards one or the other.

I admit now looking back I did link a BF3 benchmark, but if you look at the anandtech site, the BF4 benchmarks are right underneath so I grabbed the one that said 1440p.

Here. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/20/gigabyte_gtx_780_ghz_edition_video_card_review/4

Not only is it faster in that, but every other game they tested.

This is invalid they are useing GHz hard compared to a reference card. 

The GIGABYTE GTX 780 GHz Edition is designed to excel above its competition in a few areas. It is a cherry picked GTX 780 with proven stability under extreme overclocking conditions. Compared to other GeForce GTX 780 cards on the market, the GIGABYTE GTX 780 GHz Edition has the fastest Base and Boost clock speed on the market at 1019MHz/1072MHz respectively. In game the actual frequency the GIGABYTE GTX 780 GHz Edition reaches up to 1110MHz. The memory runs at the reference 6GHz.

Its so one sided. Using a "Cherry picked 780"

This is invalid they are useing GHz hard compared to a reference card. 

Its so one sided. Using a "Cherry picked 780"

So give the 290 a few percent, their ref card doesn't throttle and the aftermarket 290s are only clocking 1040\1050 at most.

It boosts 30Mhz lower than my current card and 60 below my first.

There is nothing cherry about the GHz card, in fact the mem OC was garbage.