Help needed, 2080ti damage :(

Hi all, first time posting, and any help would be much appreciated. 

My brother was inspired by the corsair water loop build episode of tech tips and decided to go all in with it, he spent about £4000 - 5000 on a parts for a new rig. He askede to help home do the build as I've  built a couple of pcs for myself and family, but nothing as big as this with hard piping etc. The long and short of it is he has chipped a capacitor(?) resistor(?) off the back of his new card while trying to remove the heat sink. Is there any methods to resoldering this on or is it just time start weeping and considering his life choices? Pic attached.. 

IMG_20200301_142924.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mickelmus79 said:

Hi all, first time posting, and any help would be much appreciated. 

My brother was inspired by the corsair water loop build episode of tech tips and decided to go all in with it, he spent about £4000 - 5000 on a parts for a new rig. He askede to help home do the build as I've  built a couple of pcs for myself and family, but nothing as big as this with hard piping etc. The long and short of it is he has chipped a capacitor(?) resistor(?) off the back of his new card while trying to remove the heat sink. Is there any methods to resoldering this on or is it just time start weeping and considering his life choices? Pic attached.. 

IMG_20200301_142924.jpg

Any decent electronic repair shop can fix that in a matter of seconds. Shouldn't be that expensive either.

Hello and welcome.

JayzTwoCents just did this exact thing in a video.  You can look it up.  Or you can find a shop that can repair it and hopefully without charging too much.  Here in the states there is a YouTuber that repairs Macbooks that Jay mentions in his video who said he could repair it.  

Just don't lose that piece.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Awesome, thanks for the super fast reply, I'll check out the vid and failing that I'll see if we can find a repair shop. 

I'd recommend investing more time into finding a repair shop than watching that vid.  The video I only recommended for entertainment.  I'd recommend Louis Rossman videos for education on proper repair.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Unless you have the proper tools I wouldn't recommend fixing this yourself. Having this fixed at a repair show is worth the few pounds compared to permanently damaging a $1000 graphics card

Jayz video was very informative but again, he is not a professional at this repair and cautioned that it was more for information/entertainment. Take this to a well known and competent repair show to ensure it gets done right the first time. Best of luck.  

That can be fixed in about thirty seconds with a half decent soldering iron,some tweezers, and a pair of steady hands. The question is the value of the cap. If, by some miracle, you have it and it hasn't wandered off into the 4th dimension, you could replace it yourself with the aforementioned tools, but if not you'll have to figure out what capacitance is supposed to go there. Good luck without a schematic or identical card. If you'd like to try the repair yourself (very low risk of further damage unless you drop it or something) I recommend following step 4 of this guide, just try to clean up the pads with your iron first. If you really don't want to/can't try to repair it yourself, ask around local computer repair shops if they do any kind of board repair. In addition, radio control shops may also be able to help as there is a fair bit of electronics work that goes on in that hobby as well. Best of luck!

ASU

20 hours ago, Mickelmus79 said:

<snip>

Have you tried running the card yet? Looks like it might just be a memory VCC decoupling cap. Should be able to do fine with one less.

If you're going to fix it, do not re-use the broken capacitor. MLCC devices are very sensitive to mechanical stress and could easily short.

Yeah, it's a decoupling capacitor for the memory chip. Basically, it's there to improve to reduce the fluctuations in voltage going to that particular memory chip.

The memory chip could run perfectly fine 99.999% of the time without it. In some cases, the voltage could fluctuate at just the wrong time that a write or read to/from ram chip could fail or you'd get corrupted data, and you'd see that in your game crashing or seeing a corrupted texture/glitch in the game.

The value (capacitance) of the capacitor should be the same as the ones circled in green. It's ceramic capacitor, should be rated X7R or C0G/NPO, should probably be rated for at least 6.3v or 10v even though the memory chips run at less than 2v (because the technical properties of the capacitors vary with voltage, higher voltage rating means better properties)

If I were to guess, i would say that's 1uF..4.7uF 10..16v capacitor, probably 0402 or 0603 in size. The actual capacitance isn't that critical, like i said it's for smoothing, making voltage (power) delivered into the memory chip more stable... so if you use a bit bigger value it wouldn't really be bad. If paranoid, one can desolder one of the other caps. and measure the value.

image.png.f7b301a36ad77d71afbbff7b447b8ebb.png