5700XT or Wait for new gen cards

CrazieChipmunk
Go to solution Solved by Arrogath,

Well, they finally smashed off a load of bugs so the drivers should be better now, or you can wait till June for a new nvidia card. I’m assuming 2080ti price tier isn’t on your radar so the upcoming Radeon card(s) probably aren’t worth waiting for. If you want better now just buy now, plenty of other hold over options in the used market

Assuming AMD does release a higher tier card next month you might be able to pick up a used 5700xt from an AMD fan boy

Ive seen the gigabyte model 3 fan selling for a good price now 320 pounds, but i am debating on whether to buy it now since im aware amd may release/announce there next gen gpu's somewhere in march (probably) and im happy to spare some more cash to buy the said new gpu's (around the 400 pounds range). Thoughts?

System specs:

cpu ryzen 3600

gpu 1050ti (definitely needs an upgrade lol)

psu:550watt corsair Txm

Ram:16gb 3000mhz

monitor is 4k 60hz

second is 1080p 144hz

and then the cooler storage etc...

Well, they finally smashed off a load of bugs so the drivers should be better now, or you can wait till June for a new nvidia card. I’m assuming 2080ti price tier isn’t on your radar so the upcoming Radeon card(s) probably aren’t worth waiting for. If you want better now just buy now, plenty of other hold over options in the used market

Assuming AMD does release a higher tier card next month you might be able to pick up a used 5700xt from an AMD fan boy

I really want a new GPU as well but I'm looking at the used market atm and will only buy really cheap. Hoping for price cuts with the new nvidia cards later this year. (currently using a gtx 970) I already spent a lot this year and it would be easy to throw another 300 at the "problem", but if I am honest my card is perfectly fine for my monitor atm (60hz 1080p), so the logical thing to do is wait and save a bunch of money.

The whole "wait for new stuff!!11" is fucking stupid. Unless something new is releasing within a week of your purchase get what's best for you at the time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MOBO: MSI B350 Gaming Pro

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz (2x 8GB)

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RX 480 8GB

Storage: Crucial MX 500 250GB, Crucial BX 200 240GB, 1TB WD Blue, 1TB Toshiba P300

PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W

11 minutes ago, dankmemes said:

The whole "wait for new stuff!!11" is fucking stupid. Unless something new is releasing within a week of your purchase get what's best for you at the time.

How often do you buy new hardware?

1 hour ago, dankmemes said:

Not in this case. 5700 XT doesn't have any hardware raytracing support while RT seems like it'll be a significant part of the next gen of console games, to the point 4A Games (eg Metro series developer) claims to have thrown out their codepath to build exclusively for RT.

I'd say wait for Navi 2 so you can have hardware raytracing. As shitty as its implementation has been these last couple of years, the consoles coming in November are going to have it so it's likely to become mainstream over the next year or two.