Can I make my laptop work for live-streaming/video editing?

Can I use my laptop for streaming and video recording/editing, or will I need to build a more competent desktop?

I purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop (1) about two years ago as a light and portable general use laptop for college work, and it served me well for that purpose. However, my future plans recently changed such that my computing needs have shifted. I'm currently trying to build a computer setup for live-streaming and content creation for sites like Twitch and YouTube. I'm planning on using either OBS studio or Elgato Game Capture HD to set up and stream content to Twitch and later edit footage down for YouTube audiences. I was hoping to use my laptop for this, but in basic testing its CPU was pinned at 96-99% while only working on basic rendering of captured content (at 720p).

My laptop just wasn't designed to deal with sustained CPU intensive loads. It has an Intel Core i5 7200U with 2 cores and a supposed 2.71GHz base speed. It has terrible cooling though, so it seems to clock itself down to the 1.4-1.9GHz range to compensate. 

I need a computer that can perform the following tasks:

• Rendering content from multiple inputs (HDMI capture, webcam, microphone, overlays) for live-streaming at 1080p.
  • Editing video and audio at a basic to moderate level

I'm currently using these peripherals:

• An old 1080p VGA monitor (hooked up via a mini-DP to VGA adapter) as a secondary monitor
  • A USB 3 powered hub
  • Audio equipment hooked up via my laptop's audio jack

Is there any way I can make my laptop work, or will I need a new PC? I'd like to use my laptop if I can, so suggestions for how I could better cool my laptop would also be appreciated; it has an aluminum chassis, but few ventilation holes. I think I could make my Surface work for the time being if I could get it to stop overheating. If I do need a new PC, I'll write up a more detailed "ideal" specs list and go from there. Any help or advice will be appreciated!