GPU Fans are going 100% for 2s every 3minutes in gaming

Paksh Vermilion

I am confused to say at least. MY GPU fans are going crazy in a few gaming applications(what i tested so far). It appeared so far in For Honor, The Division 2, Destiny 2, Devil May Cry 2019 Warcraft 3 and even freaking DOOM. What I don't get is that I am not even maxing out my GPU. The setting are moderate and capped in Division, Destiny and For Honor at 60fps for streaming purposes. 

My system:

Win 1(clean reinstall)

Asus x470 Prime 

G.Skill 16GB(2x8gb) DDR4-3200 CL14

MSI Gaming Z RTX 2070

Ryzen 2700x

Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 750D

NO OC except the RAM

The problem:

The fans go after a few minutes gaming on 100% for two seconds like every 3 minutes or so and either Asus GPU Tweak or MSI afterburner are reporting temps in the 71c° range. I tested a little with my fan curve and noticed that the fans are not going on 100% when I let them ran at 60% minimum. Which is isn't great to say at least. To top it off I never had any issues with the GPU in the last 15 month. 

4 minutes ago, Paksh Vermilion said:

I am confused to say at least. MY GPU fans are going crazy in a few gaming applications(what i tested so far). It appeared so far in For Honor, The Division 2, Destiny 2, Devil May Cry 2019 Warcraft 3 and even freaking DOOM. What I don't get is that I am not even maxing out my GPU. The setting are moderate and capped in Division, Destiny and For Honor at 60fps for streaming purposes. 

My system:

Win 1(clean reinstall)

Asus x470 Prime 

G.Skill 16GB(2x8gb) DDR4-3200 CL14

MSI Gaming Z RTX 2070

Ryzen 2700x

Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 750D

NO OC except the RAM

The problem:

The fans go after a few minutes gaming on 100% for two seconds like every 3 minutes or so and either Asus GPU Tweak or MSI afterburner are reporting temps in the 71c° range. I tested a little with my fan curve and noticed that the fans are not going on 100% when I let them ran at 60% minimum. Which is isn't great to say at least. To top it off I never had any issues with the GPU in the last 15 month. 

Havhe you cleaned the dust out of the gpu?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Havhe you cleaned the dust out of the gpu?

No dust issues. I take my PC twice a year apart and clean it. It's relaxing work :D

1 minute ago, Paksh Vermilion said:

No dust issues. I take my PC twice a year apart and clean it. It's relaxing work :D

I would recommend adjusting the fancurve a bit to make it go slowly to 100% so it doesn't do a hard rampup then.

Just now, jaslion said:

I would recommend adjusting the fancurve a bit to make it go slowly to 100% so it doesn't do a hard rampup then.

Allready tested arround that. But the GPU ignores my curve and goes straight to 100%. Unless I start baseline at 60% fan speed

Try updating your MoBo, if that doesnt help contact MSI, they might have a fix for you.

12 minutes ago, aaradorn said:

Try updating your MoBo, if that doesnt help contact MSI, they might have a fix for you.

Sadly all they gave me was please contact your store where you baught the card, since it'S still in warranty and we will check it in our lab. The problem is I kinda depend on my PC and since I recently moved I'm a little tight on money for another few month. So getting a quick back up card is no option. 

1 hour ago, Paksh Vermilion said:

Sadly all they gave me was please contact your store where you baught the card, since it'S still in warranty and we will check it in our lab. The problem is I kinda depend on my PC and since I recently moved I'm a little tight on money for another few month. So getting a quick back up card is no option. 

Then try and bitch to the store that you need a immediate replacement as it is vital to your work. Even though it isn't. That's what I did when my old monitor had some dead pixels. They told me it was normal for a few but I told them I needed it for my job and I got a new one, without any deadpixels. 

I have the same exact setup... ?

But have not had these issues.... yet...

What I would suggest is to uninstall all GPU tweak applications, and then check.

If the issue is resolved, then you know what might be causing the fans to go crazy.

Additionally, just install MSI Afterburn, I use it too, and make sure that the fan is set to auto ( It turns red in the setting)

is it nessecary for your gpu fans to even run at 100%, why not set them to 60-70 or whatever is comfortable acoustics for you that will maintain temps well. and call it a day? 

are you ensuring that you have afterburner set to use the user control fan speed? you have to click the auto button and the cog wheel on each end to ensure it uses the manual fan curve.  notice how mine is in the screen shot,

Untitled.png

31 minutes ago, maverick_brent said:

is it nessecary for your gpu fans to even run at 100%, why not set them to 60-70 or whatever is comfortable acoustics for you that will maintain temps well. and call it a day? 

are you ensuring that you have afterburner set to use the user control fan speed? you have to click the auto button and the cog wheel on each end to ensure it uses the manual fan curve.  notice how mine is in the screen shot,

Untitled.png

Correct, 3 places in here to pay attention to.

Auto should show red

Cog wheel should be red

In the cog wheel settings, the curve has to be set and applied...

I have mine setup for 40% till the temp reaches 50

Then 10 for 10... and 100 for 85 degrees, as if it is going above that, something is not right...

Mine does go above 85 but just for a sec or 2 in Destiny2, COD MW4, but as soon as that happens the fan goes all out... cools it down below 80....

I might have guessed wrong. It seems the fan sound wasn't coming from my GPU but instead from my Power Supply. PC stays off til monday when a new one arrives. I shouldn't be surprised after 8 years. Still not 100% certain but I am not going to test anymore until the new power supply is installed. It makes at least more sense since my GPU temps never exceeded 72c°.