Best long term professional laptop?

Hi all,

what im looking for in a laptop is something reliable, with great battery life that will still be a good Laptop in 5+ years time. 

It’ll be used for office work as I work full time and they are more than happy for me to use my own laptop to replace the crappy desktop that is available. Then being able to take work home and finish it off would be brilliant.

I also take night classes so it’ll be used for student work. I like to edit videos and play games in my spare time, although being a laptop I’m obviously not looking for it as a gaming machine just a side bonus.

Any recommendations would be great. I have no budget limits I’m happy to pay whatever Meets the criteria I am comfortable financially. 

I 100% recommend a Mac Book Pro if you're looking for longevity (as long as you get one without the butterfly keyboard). My 2014 MacBook Pro 15" still runs like new and gets 6+ hours of use on a near 6 year old battery. 

9 hours ago, Sorenson said:

I 100% recommend a Mac Book Pro if you're looking for longevity (as long as you get one without the butterfly keyboard). My 2014 MacBook Pro 15" still runs like new and gets 6+ hours of use on a near 6 year old battery. 

Never used one before - but that sounds pretty attractive. Definitely going on the short list 

7 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

A T or X series ThinkPad.

I’ll look into this as an alternative thanks 

The new 16" MBP is the easiest answer.  While it is the first year for a new model, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to have a well spec'd model not hold up for 5 years.  The only thing, for any laptop, that could be an issue in that time frame is battery life.  That's where some other brands like Lenovo have an advantage because batteries are more easily user replaceable and not hard to find.