RAID: Shadow Legends Sponsor spot (SUUUCKS)

Dwarfs Lord

Heyo,

I hope this is the right forum to start this thread.

I was seriously disappointed to notice that your last TechLinked was sponsored by RAID.

After you had the (fairly long) debate about whether having PIA as a sponsor is ok or not, i was at the point where my opinion about sponsor spots was:

"I don't care whom you advertise, but try to not have the sponsor spots go stale"

But then you decided to have a sponsor spot by Raid...

No, Raid is not an RPG. No, ot does not have a fantastic and awesome storyline.
Exploring dungeons? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit of my frustration, maybe someone else is as bothered by RAID as i am...

9 minutes ago, Dwarfs Lord said:

Heyo,

I hope this is the right forum to start this thread.

I was seriously disappointed to notice that your last TechLinked was sponsored by RAID.

After you had the (fairly long) debate about whether having PIA as a sponsor is ok or not, i was at the point where my opinion about sponsor spots was:

"I don't care whom you advertise, but try to not have the sponsor spots go stale"

But then you decided to have a sponsor spot by Raid...

Have you played the game?

No, Raid is not an RPG.

How is it not an RPG, exactly?

No, ot does not have a fantastic and awesome storyline.

What would you say about the storyline? It certainly does have one, from what I can tell. "Good" is subjective.

Exploring dungeons? Are you kidding me?

There are no dungeons in the game?

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit of my frustration, maybe someone else is as bothered by RAID as i am...

I haven't played it (likely never will) - I don't mind them advertising mobile games (or any games, really), as long as they've at least mildly vetted them.

But the game at least appears to be what they say it is, from a quick Google search.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's an advertisement, what do you expect? The only saving grace for "native" ads used to be that they were better selected to be at least somewhat interesting for the target audience (e.g. power supply ads etc.) but they gave that up a long time ago... VPNs and mobile games are hardly of any interest to the DIY pc crowd. You could maybe make an argument for the coffee and razor ads because the main demographic might be interested in that but I really don't care about razor subscriptions when I click on a tech video.

So with that said... why is this ad the one that crosses the line in your opinion?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hate mobile games but.....why is this an issue?

You can easily skip the ad, and just because you dont like the game doesnt mean everyone hates it.

I think pokemon go is pure shit. doesnt mean its not a game.

@dalekphalm I have no qualms with the descriptions used by RAID Shadow Legends. They're all technically correct. You have:

- RPG qualities (leveling up, equipment, builds)

- A story line

- Dungeons

- Console level graphics (it's comparable to XBOX 360 level graphics)

That doesn't change the fact that the game is hot garbage with predatory gambling mechanics, but that's another talk if you want to stay completely objective. Really, anybody can play RAID Shadow Legends for free. And it's no surprise that YouTubers advertise for it. 

It's the predatory part that's the problem. We can ignore that the "gameplay" is shallow, boring and vapid. It's not an ugly game for sure. It's a gacha game 100%. Should people not be dumb enough to fall for it? Of course they shouldn't. My problem here is that Techlinked, and by extension LTT, is ENDORSING this game that is barely more than a super low payout slot machine. We watch LTT and Techlinked because we value their opinion on tech, and pushing this garbage makes them less trustworthy in many peoples eyes.

40 minutes ago, Maliki Kusa said:

It's the predatory part that's the problem. We can ignore that the "gameplay" is shallow, boring and vapid. It's not an ugly game for sure. It's a gacha game 100%. Should people not be dumb enough to fall for it? Of course they shouldn't. My problem here is that Techlinked, and by extension LTT, is ENDORSING this game that is barely more than a super low payout slot machine. We watch LTT and Techlinked because we value their opinion on tech, and pushing this garbage makes them less trustworthy in many peoples eyes.

How are they untrustworthy because of this?

Its a sponsor spot for a mobile game. Nothing more.

Some people like the game, some people dont.

If you play a game and decide to take part in microtransactions thats on you and nobody else. Almost every game i play have them. Ive never bought one.

If the sponsor soot was from pokemon go would you feel the same way?

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

How are they untrustworthy because of this?

Its a sponsor spot for a mobile game. Nothing more.

It's hard to believe that anybody would recommend RAID Shadow Legends as a great product. It's just like @Maliki Kusa described. So it's completely un-genuine to promote this game. It's the gaming equivalent of cigarettes. Highly - addictive and bad for you in the long run. 

Just now, kokakolia said:

It's hard to believe that anybody would recommend RAID Shadow Legends as a great product. It's just like @Maliki Kusa described. So it's completely un-genuine to promote this game. It's the gaming equivalent of cigarettes. Highly - addictive and bad for you in the long run. 

What a great game is depends on the player.

I think pokemon go (and tbh most pokemon games) are shit.

I think overwatch is sbit.

But my opinions are not everyones.

Looking at the play store Raid has 10m downloads with a 4 star rating. So clearly alot of people like it.

Comparing it to cigs is just asinine. 

3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Comparing it to cigs is just asinine. 

There are long essais on how RAID Shadow Legends is the most evil game out there. In summary the game is designed to bait new players in the beginning with generous rewards and quick progress. After a certain point, progress becomes very slow and the free rewards don't seem to help much. The game continously harrasses players with microtransactions to ease the grind. There are many perverse things about this:

- Progress is intentionally slow to encourage microtransactions

- To be the best at this game, you have to spend the most money by purchasing microtransactions for boosts. Ultimately skill doesn't matter.

- The game is not rewarding at all

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

There are long essais on how RAID Shadow Legends is the most evil game out there. In summary the game is designed to bait new players in the beginning with generous rewards and quick progress. After a certain point, progress becomes very slow and the free rewards don't seem to help much. The game continously harrasses players with microtransactions to ease the grind. There are many perverse things about this:

- Progress is intentionally slow to encourage microtransactions

- To be the best at this game, you have to spend the most money by purchasing microtransactions for boosts. Ultimately skill doesn't matter.

- The game is not rewarding at all

Ok so then dont play it.

But clearly some people do like it and decide to play it.

Whys that an issue? Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its the worst thing in the world and nobody should play it.

Like i said ive never bought a microtransaction. But if someone thinks they are worth buying, they enjoy it, and its their money....why bash them and what they like?

3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Ok so then dont play it.

But clearly some people do like it and decide to play it.

Whys that an issue? Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its the worst thing in the world and nobody should play it.

Like i said ive never bought a microtransaction. But if someone thinks they are worth buying, they enjoy it, and its their money....why bash them and what they like?

Because the game exploits addictive behaviour for profit. 

Further, the game requires adult supervision due to the micro-transactions. There are numerous stories of parents shelling out thousands of dollars due to their children playing mobile games with microtransactions. So you're better off letting your kid play GTA: 5

Because the game exploits addictive behaviour for profit. 

Further, the game requires adult supervision due to the micro-transactions. There are numerous stories of parents shelling out thousands of dollars due to their children playing mobile games with microtransactions. So you're better off letting your kid play GTA: 5

Or...you dont let your kid use your credit card.....i can install it on both my kids phones and not have to watch them play it. Because im not dumb enough to put my credit card on a kids phone so they can use it. 

If a parent chooses to buy them thats on the parent. I buy my kids rublox gift cards. Its my choice.

If a parent gets a surprise bill due to their kids using the card thats on the kid and the parent. Mainly on the parents for being idiots.  They have nobody to blame but themselves.

If my kid take a $20 out of my wallet and goes to walmart and buys a toy im not going to hold that against walmart.

Most games exploit people for money. How many games have microtransactions? 

And yes....murder, hookers, drugs, etc are much better for kids then a slow progress rpg. If you honestly believe that or think its smart to put your credit card on your kids phone. Please dont have kids anytime soon. You are not ready. And if you do. Dont blame others for your bad parenting choices or your kids mistakes.

im not interested in 90% of sponsored products but that doesnt mean im going to shit on them for it

6 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Or...you dont let your kid use your credit card.....i can install it on both my kids phones and not have to watch them play it. Because im not dumb enough to put my credit card on a kids phone so they can use it. 

If a parent chooses to buy them thats on the parent. I buy my kids rublox gift cards. Its my choice.

If a parent gets a surprise bill due to their kids using the card thats on the kid and the parent. Mainly on the parents for being idiots.  They have nobody to blame but themselves.

If my kid take a $20 out of my wallet and goes to walmart and buys a toy im not going to hold that against walmart.

Most games exploit people for money. How many games have microtransactions? 

And yes....murder, hookers, drugs, etc are much better for kids then a slow progress rpg. If you honestly believe that or think its smart to put your credit card on your kids phone. Please dont have kids anytime soon. You are not ready. And if you do. Dont blame others for your bad parenting choices or your kids mistakes.

That's such a self-centered way of seeing the problem. "They have nobody to blame but themselves" attitude is the root of many problems, including identity politics and drugs especially. It's obvious that only vulnerable people will suffer from predatory microtransaction practices. But because you're unaffected by that problem, this doesn't mean we shouldn't protect people who are vulnerable.  

And the store example just doesn't compare. You have to physically be there. Online microtransactions are built into the game and are constantly advertised. It's literally like a gambling machine. 

The credit card story is pretty freaky. Not everyone is tech-savvy and aware of the risks of mobile gaming. 

Look, I am just convinced that the people who enjoy RAID Shadow Legends regularly are the people who play it obsessively and pour a lot of money into it. Because the game intentionally grinds to a halt when you're not spending money. It's perverse that way. And this basically tells the gaming industry to focus their efforts into slot machine RPGs like RAID Shadow Legends over developing full-fledged games that are intentionally thought-provoking and fun like Zelda because of profitibility. So I think that laws should be set to abolish games like RAID Shadow Legends. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

That's such a self-centered way of seeing the problem. "They have nobody to blame but themselves" attitude is the root of many problems, including identity politics and drugs especially. It's obvious that only vulnerable people will suffer from predatory microtransaction practices. But because you're unaffected by that problem, this doesn't mean we shouldn't protect people who are vulnerable.  

And the store example just doesn't compare. You have to physically be there. Online microtransactions are built into the game and are constantly advertised. It's literally like a gambling machine. 

The credit card story is pretty freaky. Not everyone is tech-savvy and aware of the risks of mobile gaming. 

Look, I am just convinced that the people who enjoy RAID Shadow Legends regularly are the people who play it obsessively and pour a lot of money into it. Because the game intentionally grinds to a halt when you're not spending money. It's perverse that way. And this basically tells the gaming industry to focus their efforts into slot machine RPGs like RAID Shadow Legends over developing full-fledged games that are intentionally thought-provoking and fun like Zelda because of profitibility. So I think that laws should be set to abolish games like RAID Shadow Legends. 

so you think games should all be free? 

You dont need to be tech savy to know its not a good idea to let a child use your credit card. You just have to have common sense.

Your entire point is "I dont like it, dont think its fun, dont think its productive, so it should be banned" that makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so you think games should all be free? 

Nope. The opposite. F2P games with microtransactions should be illegal. All games should be released complete without any half-baked release + expensive DLC which fixes the game nonesense. All games should have a price. 

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

You dont need to be tech savy to know its not a good idea to let a child use your credit card. You just have to have common sense.

Your entire point is "I dont like it, dont think its fun, dont think its productive, so it should be banned" that makes no sense.

My entire point is that RAID Shadow Legends uses gambling science to prey on people with addictive behaviour. It should be regulated. The fact that it's intentionally slow and boring just magnifies that point. It's essentially a slot machine with no payout. 

5 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Nope. The opposite. F2P games with microtransactions should be illegal. All games should be released complete without any half-baked release + expensive DLC which fixes the game nonesense. All games should have a price. 

My entire point is that RAID Shadow Legends uses gambling science to prey on people with addictive behaviour. It should be regulated. The fact that it's intentionally slow and boring just magnifies that point. It's essentially a slot machine with no payout. 

So does overwatch, csgo, fortnite, etc. should all of them be banned?

Instead of asking for something to be banned, just dont participate.

9 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

ok then who would pay for a 60 dollar mobile game? nobody

If you dont like it dont play it. simple as that.

But dont blame it for peoples lack of self control. Im not going to blame burger king if I go there everyday and get fat as shit.

My kids would spend $100 a week on roblox if i let them...so i dont let them. easy fix.

If someone finds joy in the game...good for them. If they find enough joy to pay for loot boxes, thats on them. Who am i to tell someone what is worth their money or not?

Its not just "exploited kids" that buy microtransactions. Believe it or not plenty of people buy them because they want to and its worth the money to them. So be it.

55 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

So does overwatch, csgo, fortnite, etc. should all of them be banned?

Instead of asking for something to be banned, just dont participate.

That’s the complicated grey area. I take an absolute approach. But we have gone too far already. The global mentality now is that digital products are mostly free or require a subscription. We live in a world of YouTube, Netflix and Spotify. So my approach isn’t adapted. I would gladly warn people about gaming addiction and micro transactions but that would be an exercise in futility. So yeah, I could live on without video games and be better off like you said. 

And yeah, I would gladly pay $5~$25 for full games that are fun and thought provoking like Stardew Valley. They don’t have to be amazingly complex or really expensive. 

37 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

If you dont like it dont play it. simple as that.

But dont blame it for peoples lack of self control. Im not going to blame burger king if I go there everyday and get fat as shit.

My kids would spend $100 a week on roblox if i let them...so i dont let them. easy fix.

If someone finds joy in the game...good for them. If they find enough joy to pay for loot boxes, thats on them. Who am i to tell someone what is worth their money or not?

Its not just "exploited kids" that buy microtransactions. Believe it or not plenty of people buy them because they want to and its worth the money to them. So be it.

You guys are really being willfully ignorant here. They are straight up ENDORSING the product and to a lot of us, that's very scummy. They are perpetuating this kind of bullshit that is slowly destroying gaming.

2 minutes ago, Maliki Kusa said:

You guys are really being willfully ignorant here. They are straight up ENDORSING the product and to a lot of us, that's very scummy. They are perpetuating this kind of bullshit that is slowly destroying gaming.

whats wrong with endorsing a game?

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean others dont.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

whats wrong with endorsing a game?

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean others dont.

@kokakolia and I have already pointed out why it's wrong to endorse a product like this and why it erodes trust in their opinions. I'm not gonna give you reading comprehension lessons. Just keep picking that booger and stay confused.