Give me silence

Jash96

What case should I go for if I'm wanting to prioritise silence? Like, the PC case that sits in the back of class with its hood up drawing disturbing things in their workbook? Thinking about migrating my GPU and PSU (fairly new anyway) to an otherwise different PC because as the other components are getting somewhat dated. Mobo's still in DDR3 days. 

In terms of fitting things in the case, for the mobo I'm wanting to get a Gigabyte Z390 Designare and my GPU is a Palit GeForce GTX 1070Ti Jetstream. Also thinking of getting a Noctua NH-D15S as a CPU cooler. Maybe swap out the stock case fans for Noctua ones as well? My PSU is a 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2.

Cases I've been looking at are an NZXT H710 and a couple of the Fractal Define ones like the R6 and the 7. I don't work my PC very hard most of the time, when I game it's in 2K but I don't need every GFX slider maxed. From what I've seen usually thermals are sacrificed a bit for silence but for this build I really wanna prioritise silence so I'm fine with the temperatures not being the most OPTIMAL as long as my poor components aren't getting fried. 

Any ideas? 'preciate it.

R6 is nice and quiet, love the thing.  7 was recently reviewed by Games Nexus, but I haven't watched it all the way to the db comparison.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

14 minutes ago, Jash96 said:

What case should I go for if I'm wanting to prioritise silence? Like, the PC case that sits in the back of class with its hood up drawing disturbing things in their workbook? Thinking about migrating my GPU and PSU (fairly new anyway) to an otherwise different PC because as the other components are getting somewhat dated. Mobo's still in DDR3 days. 

In terms of fitting things in the case, I'm wanting to get a Gigabyte Z390 Designare and my GPU is a Palit GeForce GTX 1070Ti Jetstream. Also thinking of getting a Noctua NH-D15S as a CPU cooler. Maybe swap out the stock case fans for Noctua ones as well? My PSU is a 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G2.

Cases I've been looking at are an NZXT H710 and a couple of the Fractal Define ones like the R6 and the 7. I don't work my PC very hard most of the time, when I game it's in 2K but I don't need every GFX slider maxed. From what I've seen usually thermals are sacrificed a bit for silence but for this build I really wanna prioritise silence so I'm fine with the temperatures not being the most OPTIMAL as long as my poor components aren't getting fried. 

Any ideas? 'preciate it.

depends on budget and taste realy... 

but more larger fans = more airflow at lower rpm = more silent case.   but cooling your box only mitigates the heat in the cpu into the room it is in, if that is not cooled too, no amount of cooling will help  cooling is just an heatexchange, it has to go somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

R6 is nice and quiet, love the thing.  7 was recently reviewed by Games Nexus, but I haven't watched it all the way to the db comparison.

Yeah I've heard good things about the R6, I was a bit surprised by the fact that the newer models like the 7 are getting generally worse reviews. 

When the computer is in an idle or low power state (such as internet browsing), I've personally found that the fans and other components can make a bigger difference than the case itself.

The graphics card appears to have a cooler that's designed to run quietly, and the Noctua CPU cooler will also be a big help.  High quality fans can make a big difference, and soft mounting them (Noctua fans come with silicon pins) will also help to eliminate vibration and resonance noises that can transfer through the case.  The computer doesn't need a lot of airflow to stay cool until you get into gaming, so set the fans to run slowly (maybe 500RPM) until the system heats up (I like to set the fan curve in the 50C to 65C range), either with PWM control or a separate fan controller.  Also, if you're using a hard drive anywhere, make sure it's also soft mounted.

With all that, you can have a near silent system even in the cheapest of cases.  All I'd recommend beyond that is using a case with moderate or better airflow!

Silence can be achieved by a define r6 or 7 with all fans replaced by be quiet! silent wings 3 fans. Or you could go with a be quiet! silent base 601 or 801.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

4 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

When the computer is in an idle or low power state (such as internet browsing), I've personally found that the fans and other components can make a bigger difference than the case itself.

The graphics card appears to have a cooler that's designed to run quietly, and the Noctua CPU cooler will also be a big help.  High quality fans can make a big difference, and soft mounting them (Noctua fans come with silicon pins) will also help to eliminate vibration and resonance noises that can transfer through the case.  The computer doesn't need a lot of airflow to stay cool until you get into gaming, so set the fans to run slowly (maybe 500RPM) until the system heats up (I like to set the fan curve in the 50C to 65C range), either with PWM control or a separate fan controller.  Also, if you're using a hard drive anywhere, make sure it's also soft mounted.

With all that, you can have a near silent system even in the cheapest of cases.  All I'd recommend beyond that is using a case with moderate or better airflow!

That's fair, I mean there's always snake oil with any product. Improving my fans is defo a priority with this one. I have noticed sound tests from (probably) impartial sources that suggest you can get a few decibels of difference between different cases. 

I really like the Meshify C for its small footprint for a midsize case. I keep the fans at low RPM to keep things quiet. It's not dead silent, but fairly quiet being 2 feet away from me. Make sure you choose a motherboard and fans that allows you set the fans to 0-100 percent speed if you are not going with a noise dampening case.

R6 and R7 seem too oversized unless you are filling it with multiple HDD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Just now, alyen said:

I really like the Meshify C for its small footprint for a midsize case. I keep the fans at low RPM to keep things quiet. It's not dead silent, but fairly quiet being 2 feet away from me. Make sure you choose a motherboard and fans that allows you set the fans to 0-100 percent speed if you are not going with a noise dampening case.

R6 and R7 seem too oversized unless you are filling it with multiple HDD.

I personally have BOTH the Meshify C, Define R6 and even the Define R5 (look at my signature for whats in each of them). The only common noise maker I had in all of them is a Corsair H100i Pro RGB (yes it's been re-purposed many times) I hit my PC hard. Like real hard, 2-3 day renders are normal for them. The fans included in the AIO are 2x Corsair ML120. They are known to get loud at about 70%, i keep them at about 50-60% max at the top of the fan curve which is the coolant being above 60C i believe. I set it awhile back on the last PC and never really touched it. All of them sit about 1m away from me, so thats about 3 feet? The same AIO when used in all 3 of the cases were top mounted with the fans blowing upward in a push configuration pushing air through the radiator and out the top of the case. All the cases were set up with 2x intake fans at the front and one exhaust at the back. All case fans are set to a constant 30% i believe, they basically have no fan curve on them because they are case fans, they just have to move enough air while being silent.

Define R5 and R6 were basically completely silent with the radiator fans (ML120) spinning at 50-60%.

Meshify C wise, there is no real sound dampening in the case. only one being maybe the foam at the intake. It's only silent up till about 40% of the fan speed. above that it gets audible, but not in your face loud. It's bearable but the low hum gets a little annoying if its there for many hours straight, or your brain may just tune it out after awhile.

So if you really want silence, Define R6 is the way to go. (not sure about the Define 7 as I don't have it) Meshify C is ok, but it won't reach the level of silence of the define series.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

32 minutes ago, Jash96 said:

Yeah I've heard good things about the R6, I was a bit surprised by the fact that the newer models like the 7 are getting generally worse reviews. 

The Fractal Define series has been getting worse since the R6 in terms of quality build. And some would say since the R5 because some say the R4 was the last good one. As for me personally I've had the R5 and now the R6 and will not purchase a Fractal case anymore. 

2 minutes ago, berberries said:

So if you really want silence, Define R6 is the way to go. (not sure about the Define 7 as I don't have it) Meshify C is ok, but it won't reach the level of silence of the define series.

So far in this thread the Define R6 has been getting pretty good notes. 

2 minutes ago, TheNamelessOne said:

The Fractal Define series has been getting worse since the R6 in terms of quality build. And some would say since the R5 because some say the R4 was the last good one. As for me personally I've had the R5 and now the R6 and will not purchase a Fractal case anymore. 

I actually feel the Define R6 is a pretty well built case. It feels about the same as a Define R5 in terms of build quality. Though I remember helping a friend to strip down and completely clean up a system with a Define R4, the Define R4 felt significantly heavier. Meshify C is starting to feel more cheaply built tho, I only really have it because I got it for a steal (guy had it for like 3 months and needed more hard drive space, plastic and all wasn't even peeled) I got it for 30SGD (about 22USD).

6 minutes ago, Jash96 said:

So far in this thread the Define R6 has been getting pretty good notes. 

Define series has been a solid case for years for silence and great hardware support. Not sure what's happening with the Define 7 though.

Fractal probably switched to thinner grades of steel to reduce manufacturing costs.  If our own experience with cases is anything to go by, I wouldn't surprised if they were at best breaking even on the previous designs.  PC cases were also hit by the tariffs until just a few months ago, so that would've been another reason to cheapen manufacturing.

41 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

Fractal probably switched to thinner grades of steel to reduce manufacturing costs.  If our own experience with cases is anything to go by, I wouldn't surprised if they were at best breaking even on the previous designs.  PC cases were also hit by the tariffs until just a few months ago, so that would've been another reason to cheapen manufacturing.

I thought about selling my R5 when I saw how much they are selling for now, but its so hard to find a case with side panel fan for its quality these days. I think I paid $120 CAD from NCIX when i bought it. R5 has got to be the best silent case I have ever owned, but too over sized for the small components I use for the case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Why do people always value silence over performance? Watching a movie takes virtually no performance from case fans. While gaming, crank those fans to high................... with a fan controller. All case fans with the exception of the fans attached to a liquid cooling radiator should be set up with the use of a fan controller so that you can have the selection between silence and performance. But pretty much silent fans sacrifice performance to be silent. I don't mean vibration or buzzing or anything but a 3000 RPM 140mm fan is going to be loud at full speed. But with a fan controller that fan can be adjusted to anywhere from 800 RPM, 400 RPM, 200 RPM, or even off. Do yourself justice and install a fan controller for the fans in your build. The Lamptron FC8 8 channel fan controller is a very very nice choice! 

Everything I've done with my computer build so far is well-documented at: 
My Thermaltake Home Profile
SPECKS!! ...specs: 
Case: Thermaltake W200
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike
CPU: i9-9900KS
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i RGB
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4-3200 32GB
GPU: Asus Strix 1080Ti
PSU: Corsair Ax1200i
System Drive: Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD 1TB
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD 1TB x4

Display: Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 100Hz
Sound: SoundBlaster Katana X
Network: CAT8 Cabling & Wifi6
Keyboard and Mouse: Redragon K556 RGB & Redragon M711 Cobra
Case Fans: Primarily Noctua 140mm 3000RPM 
Case Fan Controller: Lamptron FC-8 8 Channel
Cosmetic Light Appeal: Remote Controlled Light Bars x2

2 minutes ago, PCDesignerRy said:

Why do people always value silence over performance? Watching a movie takes virtually no performance from case fans. While gaming, crank those fans to high................... with a fan controller. All case fans with the exception of the fans attached to a liquid cooling radiator should be set up with the use of a fan controller so that you can have the selection between silence and performance. But pretty much silent fans sacrifice performance to be silent. I don't mean vibration or buzzing or anything but a 3000 RPM 140mm fan is going to be loud at full speed. But with a fan controller that fan can be adjusted to anywhere from 800 RPM, 400 RPM, 200 RPM, or even off. Do yourself justice and install a fan controller for the fans in your build. The Lamptron FC8 8 channel fan controller is a very very nice choice! 

Some of us like not having to wear headphones when gaming. If the PC is silent at load, I can e.g. fold with it without being bothered. And I can play games at 3AM, without headphones, no game audio, have my cat lying on top of the PC, and listen to him purr.

9 hours ago, Jash96 said:

That's fair, I mean there's always snake oil with any product. Improving my fans is defo a priority with this one. I have noticed sound tests from (probably) impartial sources that suggest you can get a few decibels of difference between different cases. 

You can also consider upgrading the GPU cooler to an aftermarket one. The Raijintek Morpheus 2 and Arctic Accelero Xtreme III/IV are good options. If all the components can be cooled with lower fan speeds, that can help more than just upgrading the fans.

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Some of us like not having to wear headphones when gaming. If the PC is silent at load, I can e.g. fold with it without being bothered. And I can play games at 3AM, without headphones, no game audio, have my cat lying on top of the PC, and listen to him purr.

You can also consider upgrading the GPU cooler to an aftermarket one. The Raijintek Morpheus 2 and Arctic Accelero Xtreme III/IV are good options. If all the components can be cooled with lower fan speeds, that can help more than just upgrading the fans.

All the while your PC overheats lol if I had a cat, I would NOT allow it to lay on top of my PC. To each his own. I still play at 3 AM with 3000 RPM fans by owning a Soundblaster Katana X...... and a house. Admittedly though, if you liquid cool your RAM, your CPU, your GPU, and any HDDs you have, you should be able to get by with virtually 0 case fans. 

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

1 minute ago, PCDesignerRy said:

All the while your PC overheats lol if I had a cat, I would NOT allow it to lay on top of my PC. To each his own. I still play at 3 AM with 3000 RPM fans by owning a Soundblaster Katana X...... and a house. 

The PC doesn't overheat, because of the overkill cooling I have. A 212 Evo isn't great, but it's plenty to cool a first gen Ryzen 4 core. And the massive Accelero Xtreme IV is perfectly able to cool the R9 280 at full load, with the fans spinning at idle RPM (3x 92mm at 670RPM)

The noise concern isn't for everyone else - the house does have doors. It's for my own sake, and so I can hear my cat. The clock on the wall is louder than the PC, which is kind of amusing

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The PC doesn't overheat, because of the overkill cooling I have. A 212 Evo isn't great, but it's plenty to cool a first gen Ryzen 4 core. And the massive Accelero Xtreme IV is perfectly able to cool the R9 280 at full load, with the fans spinning at idle RPM (3x 92mm at 670RPM)

The noise concern isn't for everyone else - the house does have doors. It's for my own sake, and so I can hear my cat. The clock on the wall is louder than the PC, which is kind of amusing

Just our of curiosity since you mentioned that twice, why is it so important for you to be able to hear your cat? That's a quite random detail lol. 

SPECKS!! ...specs: 

1 minute ago, PCDesignerRy said:

Just our of curiosity since you mentioned that twice, why is it so important for you to be able to hear your cat? That's a quite random detail lol. 

I just like hearing him purr, and the sounds he makes in general. It's just so cute