Wanting to share 2-4TB of data with all my devices using the cloud or NAS. Suggestions?

japers

I have 2 workstation PCs, a couple of laptops a NUC and a smart TV at home, A Workstation at my workplace and my mobile phone. I also have a 2 bay ReadyNAS and a google one account.

What would be the ideal way to have all my files available on all devices (and synced) as well as having them backed up somewhere intermittently?

My issue is that google drive only has 2TB storage space so im looking for more capacity with another cloud service.

Ive only recently cleaned up the last 15 years worth of hard drives and now all my data is condensed and organised and id like to keep it that way so i think this could be a good way to do it.

Would it be more beneficial to just set up the NAS as my personal cloud and just throw some huge drives in there in RAID1? That way i can access it across any device i have it set up on?

Should all my home devices be accessing the NAS and then have the NUC always on and syncing the NAS to the cloud for remote access and folder sharing across mobile devices and devices not on my LAN?

Do i forget the NAS altogether and use the NUC + a high capacity drive as a network share and cloud sync? Im a bit worried about having all my data on a single drive thats always on but im looking for the simplest and most secure way of keeping all my data in one place.

As all correct answers: it depends on what you with your data.

Do you need instant access to that DATA? Can you wait a big download to use it?

I'll assume you want everything as close to you as possible, and you want backups.

I am not familiar with a ReadyNAS, but Synology has a feature in which you can have two NAS at different places and they can automatically sync between themselves. This would allow you to have a NAS at home with ~8TB and another at work. This might cost you over 800$ including drives. You can also install a dropbox-like client if you want some folders on your local computer (you don't want all that store local. if you do, you don't need a second NAS at the office).

If your data Is important, I would create a AWS Glacier, Backblaze or equivalent write-only cloud storage for backups, There are expensive for the first transfer, but after the initial sync they become cheap. It only becomes expensive again if both your house and office burn down and you need to retrieve your data from them.

35 minutes ago, AlcidesFonseca said:

As all correct answers: it depends on what you with your data.

Do you need instant access to that DATA? Can you wait a big download to use it?

I'll assume you want everything as close to you as possible, and you want backups.

I am not familiar with a ReadyNAS, but Synology has a feature in which you can have two NAS at different places and they can automatically sync between themselves. This would allow you to have a NAS at home with ~8TB and another at work. This might cost you over 800$ including drives. You can also install a dropbox-like client if you want some folders on your local computer (you don't want all that store local. if you do, you don't need a second NAS at the office).

If your data Is important, I would create a AWS Glacier, Backblaze or equivalent write-only cloud storage for backups, There are expensive for the first transfer, but after the initial sync they become cheap. It only becomes expensive again if both your house and office burn down and you need to retrieve your data from them.

I dont necessarily need instant access to it all. But i need access to alot of it. im a CGI designer and so im working on projects that are tens of GB in size and sometimes i  might need assets from previous projects. My current thoughts on the setup are to have my NUC connected to an external drive and the cloud and only use it for cloud sync to a cloud provider that will give me 4TB storage, and also keep a backup on a portable drive twice a week. That way i have the redundancy of a NAS, the cloud and a portable drive.

Might need to look into wiring CAT6 through the house to get decent access speeds to the NAS.