Newbie need help with SATA and SSD? cables

KLEB

Hello,

I'm building a gaming PC for the first time and I'm currently having a hard time figuring out all the cables to plug in to the right position.

I already installed NVME m.2 1TB on the motherboard which did not need any cable.

I have a question about the extra cables for SATA(?) and other SSD that were included in my package. (like a L shaped cables i guess)

I'll be using NVME m.2 only for the storage, so does that mean I can simply ignore those extra cables for other drives? or do I still need to plug them in to the motherboard even if i'm not using those?

These questions might sound really dumb, but I have like 0 knowledge in PC building and I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'm building a gaming PC for the first time and I'm currently having a hard time figuring out all the cables to plug in to the right position.

I already installed NVME m.2 1TB on the motherboard which did not need any cable.

I have a question about the extra cables for SATA(?) and other SSD that were included in my package. (like a L shaped cables i guess)

I'll be using NVME m.2 only for the storage, so does that mean I can simply ignore those extra cables for other drives? or do I still need to plug them in to the motherboard even if i'm not using those?

These questions might sound really dumb, but I have like 0 knowledge in PC building and I would appreciate if you could help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Just now, KLEB said:

I'll be using NVME m.2 only for the storage, so does that mean I can simply ignore those extra cables for other drives?

Yes.

Just now, KLEB said:

or do I still need to plug them in to the motherboard even if i'm not using those?

Nope, you don't need to plug them in.

When/if you add more storage (HDD or 2.5" SSD) or an optical drive, you might need those cables, so do hang on to them.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So you are only using your m.2 drive?
If so then you don't need the cables plugged in. But keep them in a safe place for expanding storage at a later date.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

1 minute ago, IAcKI said:

So you are only using your m.2 drive?
If so then you don't need the cables plugged in. But keep them in a safe place for expanding storage at a later date.

Hi, thanks for the reply and 1 more quick question: I'm not a heavy gamer and I don't have much to download/store either, so is it fine to just go with 1tb nvme m.2 storage alone? 

Just now, KLEB said:

Hi, thanks for the reply and 1 more quick question: I'm not a heavy gamer and I don't have much to download/store either, so is it fine to just go with 1tb nvme m.2 storage alone? 

No reason you can't just use an m.2. Unless you eventually fill it up. You then have 2 choices.
Delete stuff from the drive.
Buy a new SATA Drive.

I imagine you'll be a while before you fill up the drive.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

1 minute ago, IAcKI said:

No reason you can't just use an m.2. Unless you eventually fill it up. You then have 2 choices.
Delete stuff from the drive.
Buy a new SATA Drive.

I imagine you'll be a while before you fill up the drive.

its always good to have a hard drive to store photos etc.

Or ssd whatever works

5 minutes ago, KLEB said:

For most people 1TB is more than plenty of room to store all games and other items.

Adding a HDD later is super simple though, so I wouldn't worry too much about that too.

Some SSD's get slower when you are using 70-80% or more of the drive though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

For most people 1TB is more than plenty of room to store all games and other items.

Adding a HDD later is super simple though, so I wouldn't worry too much about that too.

Some SSD's get slower when you are using 70-80% or more of the drive though

Thanks for the reply! I barely have any videos, photos, or games to store so i guess i'll be fine with just 1tb m.2 for now then !