AMD VS Nvidia - GPU

AurumHype

Looking at building a new pc soon. Iv always been more of an AMD fan due to their "under dog" position on everything yet as far as GPU's go I have always gone Nvidia. I know intel is coming out with a gpu soon but since it does not look like it will be to exciting im not planning on waiting for it. I was wondering what every one's opinion on the ethics of Nvidia as a company. I feel the have a monopoly on high-end gamer GPUs and personaly am considering going with a 5700xt over a 2070 super due to the monopoly that nivida has on the market. The big question for me is are Nvidias engineers so much better then every one else so they can make the best products or are they doing anything sketchy to hold the rest of the market back? Let me know what you guys think.

Found some data-

AMD spends about 400 million quarterly on research for their products.  

Nvidia spends about 750 million quarterly on their products. 

considering most of Nvidias products revovle around graphics one could assume a large portion of that went towards gpus

AMD has a wide range of products and I would say most of that would have gone into CPUs vs GPUs. 

I think it would be safe to assume that AMD is just not trying to dethrown 2 giants at once. So due to this I might be going with green eggs and ham for this build. 

2 minutes ago, AurumHype said:

Looking at building a new pc soon. Iv always been more of an AMD fan due to their "under dog" position on everything yet as far as GPU's go I have always gone Nvidia. I know intel is coming out with a gpu soon but since it does not look like it will be to exciting im not planning on waiting for it. I was wondering what every one's opinion on the ethics of Nvidia as a company. I feel the have a monopoly on high-end gamer GPUs and personaly am considering going with a 5700xt over a 2070 super due to the monopoly that nivida has on the market. The big question for me is are Nvidias engineers so much better then every one else so they can make the best products or are they doing anything sketchy to hold the rest of the market back? Let me know what you guys think.

I doubt they are doing anything severely sketchy, obviously big business deals or something. I would go with the better card though. Bang for the buck if you know what i mean.

They;re just better and have a lot of a headstart with which to work,

You're looking for some shady corporate espionage thing to hate Nvidia for so you can go AMD?

Support whichever you want, it's basic business nothing special.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

it's not like you're going to make a big difference for either company by supporting them. at the moment, in terms of hardware, amd is closing the gap. but their drivers are still buggy and people report crashes, while nvidia have very stable drivers. even though I am an amd "fan" and I have a ryzen cpu, i wouldn't buy a amd gpu until they sort out their drivers.

I hope the best for AMD, and glad they are having success with their CPUs, but Nvidia just has the GPU market right now, and would guess their pipeline is looking a lot more promising vs AMD in the GPU space

When AMD manages to fix all the issues on their drivers then I'll make the jump as well. Sticking with Nvidia for now since they have the better driver support.

I'll be changing my video card soon. I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB. My options are either the 2060 super or the 5600XT. I'm leaning towards the 2060 Super, but if things change in the next few months, who knows. I might just jump to AMD's side.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

AMD (and ATI) have always had buggy drivers for me.  If you're gaming, then I'd say nvidia.  But AMD's powerful hardware is a compelling choice if you're doing scientific computing/opencl (just as long as it doesn't bug out)

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

2 hours ago, Xiee said:

I'll be changing my video card soon. I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB. My options are either the 2060 super or the 5600XT. I'm leaning towards the 2060 Super, but if things change in the next few months, who knows. I might just jump to AMD's side.

Been dealing with AMD drivers for 10 years, they've always been buggy and they sure as hell ain't changing in a few months, I don't know what's going on there that they still can't get their shit together on the driver side of things.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 hours ago, AurumHype said:

I was wondering what every one's opinion on the ethics of Nvidia as a company.

What about your ethics ? What mobile phone are you using, what clothes do you wear , what shoe you have on ?  If you bought any of those 3 , you are literally supporting child labor and modern slavery , unless you make your own shoes and clothes , which is highly unlikely . Just buy whatever, dont white knight here

* thread locked *

This type of discussion isn't allowed, I would advise everyone involved here to take some time to read the Community Standards.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !