what cpu should i use

axel jansson

i was woundring what cpu i should use for my 1660 ti, i now have a i3-7350k 4.2GHz, is that a good cpu to pair my gpu? or should i go for something better?

Depends on whether you can get an unlocked i5 or i7 in 6th or 7th gen on the cheap... Otherwise it really depends on budget.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

my budget is about 250 usd and i thought about the i5-9600k can that be a good choice?

6 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

can that be a good choice?

it can, depends on price and what you plan to use the computer for.

11 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

my budget is about 250 usd and i thought about the i5-9600k can that be a good choice?

problem is you will need a new board for that cpu.

Why not just try it with your current cpu first and see how it goes?

31 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

i was woundring what cpu i should use for my 1660 ti, i now have a i3-7350k 4.2GHz, is that a good cpu to pair my gpu? or should i go for something better?

Afair you should upgrade your memory first to dual-channel, maybe get even faster ram than the one you are actually using.

If you really want to upgrade the cpu you should get at least a 4c/8t ot 6c/6t cpu. If you just upgrade the cpu to a 4c/4t you may be getting disappointed, especially with the single ddr4-2133 dimm you have.

36 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

No, it's not. Games really need at least 4 cores. While there's an argument for just switching to a 6 core Ryzen system, getting a used i5-6600k on eBay would make a huge difference and be relatively cheap.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

8xxx chips and never won't work on z170 and z270 boards.

I know what you're trying to say, but it's hilariously nonsensical.

1 minute ago, Sir0Tek said:

Afair you should upgrade your memory first to dual-channel, maybe get even faster ram than the one you are actually using.

If you really want to upgrade the cpu you should get at least a 4c/8t ot 6c/6t cpu. If you just upgrade the cpu to a 4c/4t you may be getting disappointed, especially with the single ddr4-2133 dimm you have.

RAM speed doesn't make that much of a difference on 7th gen Intel chips.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

so what should i do upgrade ram to dual channel or a better cpu? or both?

2 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

so what should i do upgrade ram to dual channel or a better cpu? or both?

why not try your current cpu first?

If its too slow, id probably wait for 10xxx intel chips or go ryzen on am4, unless you can find a cheap i5 or i7 7th gen part.

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, it's not. Games really need at least 4 cores. While there's an argument for just switching to a 6 core Ryzen system, getting a used i5-6600k on eBay would make a huge difference and be relatively cheap.

I know what you're trying to say, but it's hilariously nonsensical.

RAM speed doesn't make that much of a difference on 7th gen Intel chips.

Pardon? Explain the term 'much', he's using single-channel at 2133.

Didn't we discuss this already and didn't I point you to an older thread where you did agree to the very opposite of what you are saying now?

i have aldready done that and i tried looking up at a bottleneck calculator and is said that i had a 50 procent better gpu, but im not sure how accurette that can be.

2 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Pardon? Explain the term 'much', he's using single-channel at 2133.

Didn't we discuss this already and didn't I point you to an older thread where you did agree to the very opposite of what you are saying now?

No, we discussed 3rd gen (where it makes no difference), and you failed to show any proof otherwise. On 6th/7th gen it does make some difference, but nowhere near the difference between a dual core and a quad core.

2 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

i have aldready done that and i tried looking up at a bottleneck calculator and is said that i had a 50 procent better gpu, but im not sure how accurette that can be.

Don't use bottleneck calculators, they're mostly nonsense. You also need to start quoting or tagging the people you're responding too, or they won't see what you wrote.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

No, we discussed 3rd gen (where it makes no difference), and you failed to show any proof otherwise. On 6th/7th gen it does make some difference, but nowhere near the difference between a dual core and a quad core.

Don't use bottleneck calculators, they're mostly nonsense. You also need to start quoting or tagging the people you're responding too, or they won't see what you wrote.

okey well i guess i need a better cpu then?

Just now, axel jansson said:

okey well i guess i need a better cpu then?

Yes. If you give a budget and country, we can recommend something. If you're tight on money, then a 6th gen i5 will work, but even they are starting to show their age now that games use more than 4 threads.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Yes. If you give a budget and country, we can recommend something. If you're tight on money, then a 6th gen i5 will work, but even they are starting to show their age now that games use more than 4 threads.

about 300 usd, sweden

4 minutes ago, axel jansson said:

about 300 usd, sweden

In that case, I'd strongly recommend a Ryzen 3600 and a B450 motherboard. While your slower RAM will hold back performance some, you can still unlink the Infinity Fabric from the memory frequency with the 3000 series. A 3600 will also last you much longer than any older i5.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I agree, bottleneck calculators are nonsense.

I don't agree on your stance regarding the impact of memory, we're not talking overclocked memory here, it is dual channel versus single channel now. The impact of going to 4 cores/4 threads from 2 cores/4 threads actually while keeping the single-channel will be disappointing, for sure with the games ts does play. Don't you have some I3 vs i5 vids at youtube to give your opinion some more impact?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

In that case, I'd strongly recommend a Ryzen 3600 and a B450 motherboard. While your slower RAM will hold back performance some, you can still unlink the Infinity Fabric from the memory frequency with the 3000 series. A 3600 will also last you much longer than any older i5.

so that will be in my budget and make performance a little better?