First time assistance

Warren Hanson

Hello all, I've recently been thinking of moving to more advance/faster networking instead of relying on a service provider since they can sometimes be unreliable and slow from experience. I've been looking into said advance networking though I have no clue what I need - if anyone could reply with a solution where I could have a self-sufficient network system in my house that is done through phone-line bandwidth, that would be great. I know that Asus is pretty good via their products so if anyone could take me through using their stuff. I have watched linus' video on networking though I'm still in the dark about it.

Thanks...

There is a lot to touch on even just home networking. Most average joes would be fine with the modem/router product they get from their ISP.

A lot of us would want something better and bridge our own router and disable the router feature on the ISP supplied unit.

That should improve the speed and coverage of your wifi in your property.

Let us know what you want to see improved.

Are we talking about Wired or Wi-Fi? Phone Line internet (or DSL) in today's day & age is deplorable (myself being on 1.5/3/6mbit plans T1/T2/T3 connections) but I understand that that is sometimes the only ISP people have available.

Are you looking to speed-up your local network or to speed up your Internet access?

On 2/21/2020 at 3:35 PM, Windows7ge said:

Are we talking about Wired or Wi-Fi? Phone Line internet (or DSL) in today's day & age is deplorable (myself being on 1.5/3/6mbit plans T1/T2/T3 connections) but I understand that that is sometimes the only ISP people have available.

Are you looking to speed-up your local network or to speed up your Internet access?

Speed up my internet as right now its pretty unreliable

2 minutes ago, Warren Hanson said:

Speed up my internet as right now its pretty unreliable

Switch to a different ISP. Best I had in the U.S. was a T3 connection on DSL and that was 6Mbit. Find a Coax or Fiber connection provider and use them you can easily get 25, 50, 100 or even higher.

If you want to access crap that you feasibly couldn’t connect yourself then you’ll always need a service provider.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:55 AM, Warren Hanson said:

through phone-line bandwidth, that would be great.

So you have probably DSL. aDSL is slower than shit, vDSL is less shitty but still bad. DSL is distance limited, the closer to the local CO or if your connected to a remote box the better. Generally your not going to speed up DSL. I think aDSL can top out at 24 Mbps and vDSL can top out at about 100 Mbps. But to be clear there are multiple standards for aDSL and vDSL and on top of that your limited on distance. 

You want coax or Fiber for a better expirence. Hell in some cases LTE is better than DSL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:22 PM, Donut417 said:

So you have probably DSL. aDSL is slower than shit, vDSL is less shitty but still bad. DSL is distance limited, the closer to the local CO or if your connected to a remote box the better. Generally your not going to speed up DSL. I think aDSL can top out at 24 Mbps and vDSL can top out at about 100 Mbps. But to be clear there are multiple standards for aDSL and vDSL and on top of that your limited on distance. 

You want coax or Fiber for a better expirence. Hell in some cases LTE is better than DSL. 

Cheers for the information, workers recently tore up the roads in my area to fit in what I believe is fiber cables so I'll see if I can get a ISP to get my house suitable for this.