Not posting after CPU upgrade

KrazyTacoguy1

First I like to say, I had search to see any topic similar to this and other forum website and tried similar answer and still nothing. That being said My pc isn't showing anything on screen after upgrading the cpu from a fx6300 to a fx8350. Everything is lit up except the mouse. 

This things I have tried is:

- trying multiple monitors (one at a time)

- check to see if bios is updated, it is. Version 22.4

- resetted cmos by removing the battery and wait 10min (i do have 2 pins but dont have thing to short it)

- put in the old cpu works fine

- pins look fine, no bends

Things I haven't tried:

- uplug the unnecessary hardware, ex: extra hdd's

- haven't tried the second time

- dont have two motherboards to test if its a bad mobo, cpu, or psu

- havent tried replace the gpu with a gtx550

Spec's: 

Cpu: orginally a fx 6300

Mobo: msi 970 gaming

Ram: 16gb 4x 4gb hyper x

Gpu: Powercooler red devil rx 580 8gb

Psu: 500w evga 50+ bronze

11 minutes ago, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

First I like to say, I had search to see any topic similar to this and other forum website and tried similar answer and still nothing. That being said My pc isn't showing anything on screen after upgrading the cpu from a fx6300 to a fx8350. Everything is lit up except the mouse. 

This things I have tried is:

- trying multiple monitors (one at a time)

- check to see if bios is updated, it is. Version 22.4

- resetted cmos by removing the battery and wait 10min (i do have 2 pins but dont have thing to short it)

- put in the old cpu works fine

- pins look fine, no bends

Things I haven't tried:

- uplug the unnecessary hardware, ex: extra hdd's

- haven't tried the second time

- dont have two motherboards to test if its a bad mobo, cpu, or psu

- havent tried replace the gpu with a gtx550

Spec's: 

Cpu: orginally a fx 6300

Mobo: msi 970 gaming

Ram: 16gb 4x 4gb hyper x

Gpu: Powercooler red devil rx 580 8gb

Psu: 500w evga 50+ bronze

Have you tried setting BIOS back to its default settings? Yes, removing the battery for 10 minutes SHOULD put everything back to stock settings but did you verify this? 

Also, if I'm not mistaken that CPU only supports 1866mhz RAM modules, so if you're using 1600 mhz modules, that may be why.

7 minutes ago, steelo said:

Also, if I'm not mistaken that CPU only supports 1866mhz RAM modules, so if you're using 1600 mhz modules, that may be why.

usually it won't cause issues if the ram speeds are slower

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Is it a new or a used cpu 

15 minutes ago, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

<snip>

Is it a new or used CPU?

Though btw the board should run it as it is on the compatible list for the board 

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

4 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

usually it won't cause issues if the ram speeds are slower

Typically no, but I had a Athlon x2 where it absolutely would not post with slower RAM..it was infuriating

Just now, steelo said:

Typically no, but I had a Athlon x2 where it absolutely would not post with slower RAM..it was infuriating

ah ok

Thanks for that extra information 

42 minutes ago, steelo said:

Have you tried setting BIOS back to its default settings? Yes, removing the battery for 10 minutes SHOULD put everything back to stock settings but did you verify this? 

Yes i did reset everything. 

You might be on to something. It is 1600mhz on the ram. I honestly never heard or seen a mentioned on the ram compatibility. So looks like this friday i have to pick up some ram and try it then. I'll have to report back afterwards

33 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Is it a new or a used cpu 

Is it a new or used CPU?

Though btw the board should run it as it is on the compatible list for the board 

The fx 8350 is indeed brand spanking new. Ordered from Amazon with wraith cooler

21 hours ago, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

You might be on to something. It is 1600mhz on the ram. I honestly never heard or seen a mentioned on the ram compatibility. So looks like this friday i have to pick up some ram and try it then. I'll have to report back afterwards

Check the board QVL list though and try and get one that's on that
though It's odd that the RAM worked on the old CPU but not the old one

3 hours ago, Ben17 said:

In my experience, AMD CPU's seem to be finicky with the RAM you use. Right now I'm using a Ryzen and had a heck of a time getting 3200 mhz RAM to work.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:36 PM, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

edit: I'm not sure if this is an option. Maybe you can try temporarily reinstalling the old CPU, overclock the DDR3 to 1866 mhz or at least closer to it and then try the new CPU again?

22 hours ago, Ben17 said:

I did and im planning on getting hyper x, 2x 4gb 1866mhz. Not sure if i can post a link in the forums

19 hours ago, steelo said:

I'm not sure if this is an option. Maybe you can try temporarily reinstalling the old CPU, overclock the DDR3 to 1600 mhz or at least closer to it and then try the new CPU again?

I was thinking about that and the tam i jave is already 1600mhz which is even weirder because ive seen builds with 1600mhz. Maybe i can try overclocking it to 1866mhz hopefully it works. Just gotta find a tutorial for it tho since i haven't touch basis of oc ram, only cpu and gpu as of so far

2 hours ago, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

I was thinking about that and the tam i jave is already 1600mhz which is even weirder because ive seen builds with 1600mhz. Maybe i can try overclocking it to 1866mhz hopefully it works. Just gotta find a tutorial for it tho since i haven't touch basis of oc ram, only cpu and gpu as of so far

Sorry, stupid typo...I mean to write '1866mhz', not '1600mhz'.

Sorry for the confusion.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:02 PM, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

Not sure if i can post a link in the forums

links are allowed btw

no worries

On 2/21/2020 at 2:58 PM, steelo said:

Sorry, stupid typo...I mean to write '1866mhz', not '1600mhz'.

Sorry for the confusion.

No you're all good, and sorry for the late response, been pretty busy and it was hard enough to try to get around this. Anways I did overclocked JUST the ram to 1866mhz (btw i also managed to stress test and bench both oc ram andnmy fx6300. I feel proud). But it didnt work with only the ram oc'ed and everything else default or auto. What i found for the ram to work is obvi- 1833mhz w/ 2-11-11-11-36, dram voltage - 1.60v. Im starting think the cpu just doesnt want to work or the psu is on the low side. Even tho there's some builds works fine with a 500w psu.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:41 PM, Ben17 said:

links are allowed btw

no worries

Aaawww yeah

May i also add it didnt work when I slapped the fx8350 on with the oc'ed ram. Thats what i meant when I said it didn't work

UPDATE: i just got it to work. As it turns out on a other post. Apparently this mobo likes to be picky with amd and its ram. So i tried 1 stick and reset the bios. It flippin work. So now.. how do i add more ram lmao. I have 3 other sticks that i would love to use for gaming and such but now this is the next issue. 

Alright so... I'm.. ligit confused.. so it worked with one stick. Did a validation using cpu-z to see what its ready and numbers are constantly changing ie voltage and mhz because default bios but it reading every stick that i slowly put in. Obvi when its off and all but thats just weird.. i guess this is fix?? Is there any potential errors that may occur? I might upgrade the psu for future oc and peace of mind but idk if i still should oc the ram to 1866.. i mean if it aint broke dont fix it right? Well gonna memtest and stress test aswell as benchmark it and hope it goes well, fingers crossed

On 2/25/2020 at 12:25 AM, KrazyTacoguy1 said:

Alright so... I'm.. ligit confused.. so it worked with one stick. Did a validation using cpu-z to see what its ready and numbers are constantly changing ie voltage and mhz because default bios but it reading every stick that i slowly put in. Obvi when its off and all but thats just weird.. i guess this is fix?? Is there any potential errors that may occur? I might upgrade the psu for future oc and peace of mind but idk if i still should oc the ram to 1866.. i mean if it aint broke dont fix it right? Well gonna memtest and stress test aswell as benchmark it and hope it goes well, fingers crossed

Glad you got it sorted though I wouldn't worry about the voltages btw (they do change a bit on auto I think?)

Sorry wasn't on very much lately (busy with college assignments)