Cheap Radeon RX 580

I wanted to know where, and if, I would be able to find an RX 580 or 570 (heard they were pretty similar) for no more than $120 or so. I'm asking here because I've had trouble finding a used 580 for less than than $160, and I'm trying to save as much money as possible. I also wanted to know how much VRAM would be recommended for high quality 1080p and light VR gaming? I've heard that 4 GB is enough, but I've seen 8 GB variants of the 580 for not much more. This follows from my previous post one or two weeks ago asking a similar question, so apologize for any redundancy. Thanks

We have classifieds on the forums where you may find some, after you hit 100 posts on here

There's r/hardwareswap on reddit

Then I would watch local classifieds, kijiji, facebook marketplace, cragislist, etc.

4 would be fine, 8 gb version is optimal

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

So you'd say that the subreddit and places like eBay and amazon are reliable if I'm looking for a used 580? What should I look out for in terms of getting a bad deal? Thanks

I know you're trying to penny pinch, and $40 is a lot when trying to budget a low cost upgrade or PC, but Best Buy has brand new 8gb XFX RX 580s for $159 right now:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-580-gts-xxx-edition-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6136515.p?skuId=6136515&cmp=RMX&irclickid=R6c0FS1TBxyOR810TbWK8Xs3UknVTnxIQxKe280&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=R6c0FS1TBxyOR810TbWK8Xs3UknVTnxIQxKe280&acampID=633495&mpid=79301

Also if you filter used/open box, Buy It Now, lowest price on eBay there's lots under $120. Some even from big shops that have sold dozens of them and have great feedback:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rx+580&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1500&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

2 minutes ago, James Buckwas said:

So you'd say that the subreddit and places like eBay and amazon are reliable if I'm looking for a used 580? What should I look out for in terms of getting a bad deal? Thanks

I would avoid any listing that has multiple used 470/480/570/580s for sale because it's someone parting out a mining rig.

15 minutes ago, James Buckwas said:

7 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

I would avoid any listing that has multiple used 470/480/570/580s for sale because it's someone parting out a mining rig.

My friend owns a computer shop and when mining wasn't profitable for us anymore a couple years back we put all our old cards in rigs and sold them. Haven't had one come back yet. Most mining cards are undervolted and kept in good conditions so I wouldn't have any fear of a mining card going bad on you.

I will say this. AVOID this MSI Armor cards! They are cheap for a reason. We had so many issues with those cards (we had about 18 of them) that we sold them off to another miner because we didn't feel comfortable selling them to customers. Here's a eBay store that's sold 70+ Sapphire RX 580s, offers 30 day returns, and have 99% positive feedback with 3000+ reviews. If you want to go used I'd feel comfortable with this one, but personally I'd drop the extra $40 and get the new one from Best Buy.