Cherry MX Red vs Kailh Speed Pro Burgundy

Hi! I have been thinking about getting the Ducky One 2 Mini Pure White: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5027 This keyboard comes with options for cherry and kailh switches. At first, I thought I would get the cherry mx reds. Now, I am not so sure. I like the kailh speed pro burgundys as well. I know that the burgundy switches are linear, heavier, and easier to actuate than the reds, and they sound similar. I just want to know if kailh switches have good build quality, and if the pro burgundys are a good choice over the reds. Thank you!

I mean you can't really get stuff worse than MX Reds so I'd go for the Kailhs.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

22 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I mean you can't really get stuff worse than MX Reds so I'd go for the Kailhs.

Really? I like the feel of Cherry switches.

15 minutes ago, geo3 said:

MX Brown and Blue.

And Reds are pretty good once lubed spring, swapped and worn in.

Thank you for your suggestion. I have personally tried out all cherry switches and like reds the most. I was hoping to know the differences between reds and burgundy. 

25 minutes ago, Zagger said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I have personally tried out all cherry switches and like reds the most. I was hoping to know the differences between reds and burgundy. 

Reds are probably the best of Cherry's lineup next to Blacks, in my opinion. Their tactiles are barely tangible, and their clickies are tinny and lifeless compared to those of Kailh's clickies such as Box Jades and Box Navies which have a rich, resonant, vibrant, click, not to mention much more consistency due to the hysteresis prevalent on Cherry clickies which does not exist on Kailh clickies.

Would still rather pick up anything other Cherry if I was going tactile, as in my experience with Cherry Speeds and Cherry Blacks, Cherry switches are inherently scratchy.

I've used more than a handful of Kailh and Gateron switches and found those to be noticeably smoother than their Cherry rivals.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

7 minutes ago, sowon said:

Reds are probably the best of Cherry's lineup next to Blacks, in my opinion. Their tactiles are barely tangible, and their clickies are tinny and lifeless compared to those of Kailh's clickies such as Box Jades and Box Navies which have a rich, resonant, vibrant, click, not to mention much more consistency due to the hysteresis prevalent on Cherry clickies which does not exist on Kailh clickies.

Would still rather pick up anything other Cherry if I was going tactile, as in my experience with Cherry Speeds and Cherry Blacks, Cherry switches are inherently scratchy.

I've used more than a handful of Kailh and Gateron switches and found those to be noticeably smoother than their Cherry rivals.

So you would recommend the kailh ones? BTW, the burgundy switches are also linear.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

MX Brown and Blue.

Fair point, although I do prefer the feel of Blues to stock Reds. The sound though...yikes.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

And Reds are pretty good once lubed spring, swapped and worn in.

I mean you can make basically any switch good with that amount of modding, but OP would have to buy springs, lube, an opener, desolder all the switches, mod them, and then resolder them for a pretty negligible difference imo.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Zagger said:

Really? I like the feel of Cherry switches.

You should try some other switches. Cherries are good to (average) rubber domes, but behind basically everything but Otemus and other shitty clones.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

17 minutes ago, geo3 said:

If you're not going to mod them I definitely recommend the Kailh. Unless sound is far far more important than feel is to you.

Thank you! I am not modding, so I will probably get the Kailh burgundy over the MX reds. 

5 hours ago, sowon said:

For sure. Cherry switches are tangibly scratchier.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I can’t wait to get a ducky with Kailua switches!